walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The "not so quiet" Northern Fells

The "not so quiet" Northern Fells

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:49 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Carrock Fell, High Pike (Northern Fells)

Hewitts included on this walk: Carrock Fell, High Pike

Date walked: 02/12/2012

Time taken: 4

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 530m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having been without Hills for just about a whole month the great forecast for the weekend was just too good to pass up. We decided on Sunday because of the lighter winds and set off nice and early to Lakeland. Heaven knows just how much we will have spent on petrol by the time we complete, best not to think about it. :crazy:

TR_121202-101113.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

With temperatures dropping to minus six as we passed Warcop it was a slightly more sedate journey than usual but hugely enjoyable with the Eden valley looking quite magnificent as a frozen wonderland. The temptation to stop and grab photos was resisted (I could have spent the whole day just getting to our destination) and we left the A66 and trundled along the minor road with great care through Mungrisdale and Mosedale to the delightfully named “Apronful of Stones”.

Carrock Fell from an Apronful of Stones. Rake trod can be clearly seen heading diagonally up the fell side

The first sign that the quiet Northern Fells might not live up to their reputation was we weren’t the first car and were quickly joined by a third before we set off. A more worrying sight was the dozens of vans and cars parked further up the road. :?

On the way up

Thoughts as to just what was going on were quickly banished to the back of the mind as we set off up Rake Trod. This turned out to be an excellent route up Carrock Fell and I’d highly recommended it. On the way there were some amazing icicles formed on Further Gill Sike and plenty of ice on sections of the path but we managed without any real problems.

How did that happen?

Strange ice formations

Further Gill Sike

There was once a hill fort (pre-roman) atop this fell and it’s easy to see why with an extraordinary view over the Vale of Eden all the way to the Scottish border hills. The remains of the fort take the shape of an oval of stones around the summit and it all adds to what is a fantastic top. :D

Grace and Hughie on Carrock Fell summit

Skiddaw from Carrock Fell

Blencathra from Carrock Pike

Crystal clear views to Cross Fell

The two miles to High Pike are in normal circumstances a boggy, swampy morass but today they were frozen solid and a joy to walk on. :D We stopped for lunch on Miton Hill taking in great views towards Bowfell and the Scafell range before completing the simple ascent to the very ordinary looking High Pike. This fell might not look like much but the views make up for it with a fantastic panorama taking in the Southern uplands.

Frozen bogs on the way to Miton Hill

View to England’s highest ground

High Pike

View over the Solway Firth from High Pike (click on pic for large version)

Carrock Fell and the Northern Pennines from High Pike (click on pic for large version)

High Pike summit

The less said about our descent via the mine track the better. It turned out the dozens of vans etc were because somebody had seen fit to allow stinking noisy trails bikes onto the hills for some kind of event. In fairness to the riders they all acted sensibly as the passed us but descending a hill with your nostrils filled with petrol fumes :sick: isn't my idea of fun. In my opinion whoever allowed this in a national park needs to have a long hard look at themselves. :(

Overall it couldn’t detract from a great day out however and if it turns out to be our last day of what has been a fantastic years hill walking we can have few complaints. :D

For more pics from the walk follow the link
Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: The "not so quiet" Northern Fells

Postby Musicfinder » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:24 am

Your photo taken during the ascent of High Pike titled "View to England’s highest ground" is SUPERB!
Musicfinder

Postby Simo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:11 pm

Nice pics them. Not a lap top on the seat is it? A well worthy win on your walk report, well done :clap:
Simo
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:119
Wainwrights:214   

Postby colgregg » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:39 pm

Heaven knows just how much we will have spent on petrol by the time we complete, best not to think about it.
Nice pics They are a couple of good fells.
Just deduct amount of money saved by not having Daughter dragging you around Toysrus, Game, P.C. world etc. Far cheaper than a day at Teesside Park!! And the lassie is still smiling so obviously enjoying her treks.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:07 pm

Musicfinder wrote:Your photo taken during the ascent of High Pike titled "View to England’s highest ground" is SUPERB!

Thanks Musicfinder glad you liked it. :D

Simo wrote:Nice pics them. Not a lap top on the seat is it? A well worthy win on your walk report, well done :clap:

:lol: It was somebodies bottom insulation for sitting on the stone seat that had been left behind and thank you for the congrats :thumbup:

colgregg wrote:Nice pics They are a couple of good fells.
Just deduct amount of money saved by not having Daughter dragging you around Toysrus, Game, P.C. world etc. Far cheaper than a day at Teesside Park!! And the lassie is still smiling so obviously enjoying her treks.

Cheers Col, in all honesty I don't regret a penny spent having days out in the Lakes as for Grace she has the occasional moan but she really does love it, especially if there is snow on the ground. I would love us to complete as a family so it's full speed ahead before she becomes to much of a stroppy teenager :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby colgregg » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:24 pm

Cheers Col, in all honesty I don't regret a penny spent having days out in the Lakes as for Grace she has the occasional moan but she really does love it, especially if there is snow on the ground. I would love us to complete as a family so it's full speed ahead before she becomes to much of a stroppy teenager
Been there. My youngest always seemed keen to be out and about with me until he realised it was a lot less strenuous to lounge around in front of the playstation!!!
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181

Postby garyhortop » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:37 pm

Great report JK and some really amazing shots there!! I get the petrol fumes thing, you get a few trials bikers on Dartmoor and it can take the edge off things but hey...look at the pics again and makes it all worthwhile! I liked the bit about "frozen bogs"......am praying for them this weekend!!! Otherwise more time up to me butt in Dartmoor mire!

Well done on the winning report as well! A cracker!! :clap: :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:52 pm

Another beauty JK, the cool temperatures always help toward lovely photos, that crisp clean air (except for the descent of course :shock: ) great report mate.....talking of which - congratulations on your well deserved walk report of the month :clap: :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:34 am

garyhortop wrote:Great report JK and some really amazing shots there!! I get the petrol fumes thing, you get a few trials bikers on Dartmoor and it can take the edge off things but hey...look at the pics again and makes it all worthwhile! I liked the bit about "frozen bogs"......am praying for them this weekend!!! Otherwise more time up to me butt in Dartmoor mire!

Well done on the winning report as well! A cracker!! :clap: :D

ChrisW wrote:Another beauty JK, the cool temperatures always help toward lovely photos, that crisp clean air (except for the descent of course :shock: ) great report mate.....talking of which - congratulations on your well deserved walk report of the month :clap: :clap:

Thanks for the congratulations. :thumbup: After getting up to the ankles in mud for just about every Lakes walk this year it was a pleasure to walk over the top, as for the bikes they are one of my pet hates, at least they had permission and behaved, unlike the morons around where I live :evil:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:21 pm

A great report, shame about those bikes!
Some fantastic photos, just love the icicle ones, and beautiful views :thumbup:
Think we should all meet up and celebrate with you when you've completed :lol:

We were staying over at Ullswater on the Saturday and Sunday so I was out with the camera whilst Jeff was walking :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Lenore » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:22 pm

Musicfinder wrote:Your photo taken during the ascent of High Pike titled "View to England’s highest ground" is SUPERB!

I agree!! Wonderful!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby L-Hiking » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:04 pm

JK, I have to agree the picture looking towards the Scafells is excellent, as regards the cost of fuel, I must agree with Colgregg. Got to be better (and cheaper) than dragging round all those shopping arcades Yuk!!!
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:59 pm

Thanks Lenore I think I know my entry to Decembers pic comp.:D

Yes L-H the price of getting to the hills is worth it. Far better value than watching a crap football team get beat week after week as I used to :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby L-Hiking » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:07 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote: Far better value than watching a crap football team get beat week after week as I used to

Ha ha me as well, ditched my season ticket too :lol:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland