walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A short report of a short walk

A short report of a short walk

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:12 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Great Stony Hill

Date walked: 05/12/2012

Time taken: 1

Distance: 4.25 km

Ascent: 150m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I realised just how stupid I'd been before I even opened the boot. My plan for the day had been to head up to Teesdale to take some pics of the wonderful waterfalls of the Tees but I had now realised I'd left a critical component of this plan at home on the sitting room floor. Yes, I'd left my camera at home when setting off on a photography trip. :oops: :cry:

I was not a happy bunny to say the least as I got back in the car to ponder what to do next. I had limited time anyway so the hour drive back home to rectify the situation was out. I decided, so as not to waste the day completely I'd use the trip to grab a quick Hewitt. I continued up the B6277 increasingly gingerly as the snow and ice increased on the road. The views of this beautiful dale with a covering of snow were sublime leaving me with mixed feelings, great to witness but I'd have loved to record them properly.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I managed to get the car off the road but not blocking the gate to the track up Great Stony Hill and set off with Hughie through the snow. I very rapidly felt much better and even took a few pics with my phone that didn't turn out too bad :) I made the summit quickly and enjoyed the fine panorama before heading back home to find I'd won walk report of the month :D Not a bad day at all in the end.

Here are a few pics
P0003.jpg
Upper Teesdale

P0004.jpg
Looking back down the dale

P0008.jpg
On the way up

P0013.jpg
Hughie by the fence

P0014.jpg
Boundary marker?

P0020.jpg
Summit cairn

P0023.jpg
Ice on the fence at the summit

P0026.jpg
Icicles

P0031.jpg
On the way down

P0033.jpg
Final shot
Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: A short report of a short walk

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:23 pm

whoops wrong button
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Simo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:33 pm

Forgot the camera :shock: That's Sunluns excuse for not scoring goals" We forgot to bring a :lol: ball". At least ya made up for it by posting this report twice. Still good pics tho of our great region.
Simo
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:119
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:53 pm

Simo wrote:Forgot the camera :shock: That's Sunluns excuse for not scoring goals" We forgot to bring a :lol: ball". At least ya made up for it by posting this report twice. Still good pics tho of our great region.

The useless b*****s could have a hundred balls and still not score :lol: So glad I saw the light a good few years ago. 8)
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby ChrisW » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:01 am

Absolute sickener JK, I've done the 'camera forgetting' thing myself recently :roll: so I just went without it, it really didn't feel the same somehow. This wee wander looks a chilly bugger, maybe a short walk was the order of the day :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:34 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:I realised just how stupid I'd been before I even opened the boot
johnkaysleftleg wrote:whoops wrong button

Oh dear, at least you are human and not some super photography robot who always manages wonderful images :lol: :lol:
Glad you were able to make the most of the opportunity and still have some good photos :thumbup:

johnkaysleftleg wrote:The useless b*****s could have a hundred balls and still not score So glad I saw the light a good few years ago.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Won't say too much as I'm one of the others and we're not doing that well :roll:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby L-Hiking » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:01 pm

Still some nice pics JK and never mind about ur football team :lol: :lol: :lol:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:49 pm

ChrisW wrote:Absolute sickener JK, I've done the 'camera forgetting' thing myself recently :roll: so I just went without it, it really didn't feel the same somehow. This wee wander looks a chilly bugger, maybe a short walk was the order of the day :D

When I first got out the car I was hit by a blast of wind that gave me serious second thoughts but fortunataly it was no more than a steady breeze for the rest of the time I was out. I even got a sweat on :shock:

SusieThePensioner wrote:Oh dear, at least you are human and not some super photography robot who always manages wonderful images :lol: :lol:

:lol: If only. :D

L-Hiking wrote:Still some nice pics JK and never mind about ur football team :lol: :lol: :lol:

There not mine anymore, disowned them years ago :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby colgregg » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:24 pm

A nice little wander. I'm working my way round there over the next few months (this fell, Burnhope Seat etc). At least you had a decent phone camera judging by the pics. Did a Teesdale walk last year and camera batteries died on me so I had to rely on a Blackberry camera which wasn't very good at all. I don't know what's worse, forgetting the camera or bringing it and forgetting to charge the damned batteries.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:55 pm

colgregg wrote:A nice little wander. I'm working my way round there over the next few months (this fell, Burnhope Seat etc). At least you had a decent phone camera judging by the pics. Did a Teesdale walk last year and camera batteries died on me so I had to rely on a Blackberry camera which wasn't very good at all. I don't know what's worse, forgetting the camera or bringing it and forgetting to charge the damned batteries.

Hopefully you get a clear day for Great Stony Hill because it really does have some fine views.
I once had a battery die on me on Blackhall Beach very early one morning, the light was fabulous but all I could do was have a cup of tea from my flask and enjoy it. I ordered a back up the next day so I'd always have a fully charged one in my camera bag. (See Susie more evidence that I'm human) :wink:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby pgrizz » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:39 pm

Know how it feels! Got out the car at Hanging Shaws to find no camera in rucksack, a senior moment is what I put it down to. So had to go back the following day to take the pictures I had noticed the day before.
Great Stoney Hill is a fine summit, some nice pictures.
pgrizz
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:143   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:22 pm

pgrizz wrote:Know how it feels! Got out the car at Hanging Shaws to find no camera in rucksack, a senior moment is what I put it down to. So had to go back the following day to take the pictures I had noticed the day before.
Great Stoney Hill is a fine summit, some nice pictures.

Cheers Paul, nice to know I'm not the only one.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby garyhortop » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:15 pm

Wow....looked like a really nice wander there JK and some stunning photo's!! Can you send some of the frozen and cold white stuff south please!!?? :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:52 pm

garyhortop wrote:Wow....looked like a really nice wander there JK and some stunning photo's!! Can you send some of the frozen and cold white stuff south please!!?? :D

I'll have a word but I can't promise anything :wink:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland