walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dawn till dusk along the Roman border

Dawn till dusk along the Roman border

Postby Lenore » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:46 pm

Date walked: 12/01/2013

Time taken: 8

Distance: 35 km

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Route: ‘Kromme Rijnpad’, from Utrecht to Wijk bij Duurstede, the Netherlands.
Distance walked: 35 km

In a way, the story of this route goes back 2000 years and the cities at start and end, Utrecht and Wijk bij Duurstede, thank their existence to Roman expansionism and the dogged resistance of the Germanic Batavi to that rule. Two millennia ago the Romans chose the Rhine as the Northernmost border of their empire and to help them make a stand against the barbarians on the other side they erected countless fortresses. One such fortress, Traiectum, was placed where the Rhine could be forded and another, Levefanum, 30 kilometers upstream at a bend in the river.

The Romans didn’t stay in the area very long, their fortresses burned by the Batavi or washed away by that equally merciless Rhine. But it didn’t matter: the army had brought trade and people, and they would stay. Traiectum grew into Ultrajectum, grew into Utrecht, and Levefanum, by a slightly more illogical naming process, grew into present-day Wijk bij Duurstede.

And there they stand today: two gorgeous old towns with windy cobble-stoned streets, elegant old town houses and churches. Utrecht, the city where I was born and raised, rose to fame on trade and religion (Utrecht supplied the only Dutch Pope to date, Adrian VI). It’s incredible wealth enabled it to build a stunning gothic cathedral, complete with dark spires and monstrous gargoyles. The picture below I took about a year ago:

DSC02478 by Eleonora F, on Flickr

Ironically, a thousand years after the Romans, it was this economic success that pushed the Bishop in Utrecht to deny the city’s birthright as city on the Rhine and dam the river at Wijk bij Duurstede, forcing all that water to flow to the sea on a more southerly course. This allowed the Bishop to have the marshes east of the city drained, creating much needed arable land.

The old course now slowed to a trickle, but for hundreds of years was still used to transport goods and people between Utrecht and Wijk bij Duurstede. Tow paths were constructed to allowed men to pull the boats along, until the arrival of a steam tram made the tow boats obsolete.

Now it’s just walkers like me walking the 29 km along these tow paths. The path is waymarked, though it’s barely necessary (just follow the old Rhine!), and there’s a nice little booklet with background information available. I’d wanted to do this walk for a while now, but was waiting for a nice sunny day (and they've been scarce). Also, I was dreading the distance as I’d misremembered the length as 40, not 30 km. Luckily, I found out the night before it was 10 less. As it was, I had some energy to spare at the end so could have done the 40.

The walk starts less than a kilometer from my house; very convenient! I left before dawn and left the city limits in about 45 minutes. Though I’ve walked this part of the river dozens of times, I’d never been there this early and I loved that pre-dawn moment when sunrise is still a while off and the world around me is so clear and crisp and blue.

A farm in the dark by Eleonora F, on Flickr

Willows before dawn by Eleonora F, on Flickr

There’s a flock of white geese that live along the river; they never fail to greet me when I walk here. These two were exceptionally curious. I bet others feed them!

Curious geese by Eleonora F, on Flickr

And then, rounding the bend, the sun’s arrival:

Pink and blues by Eleonora F, on Flickr

Golden reflection by Eleonora F, on Flickr

It's burning by Eleonora F, on Flickr

As much as I love hills and mountains, there’s something to say for this flat country of mine as well. There’s so much sky!:

Morning in Amelisweerd by Eleonora F, on Flickr

Geese at sunrise by Eleonora F, on Flickr

I came upon some swans with three cygnets. Now, as much as I like their grace and beauty, I’d rather admire them from afar. I’ve been chased before by parents in an over-zealous attempt to protect their little ones from me! Luckily, they didn’t pay much attention to me as I walked past.

Swan family by Eleonora F, on Flickr

Young and old by Eleonora F, on Flickr

Spreading wings by Eleonora F, on Flickr

The river runs past several estates, some dating back as far as the Middle Ages:

Nieuw Amelisweerd: (17th century)

Nieuw Amelisweerd by Eleonora F, on Flickr

Oud Amelisweerd (18th century), with the morning sun reflecting:

Oud Amelisweerd by Eleonora F, on Flickr

Castle Rhijnauwen (18th century):

Rhijnauwen by Eleonora F, on Flickr

Huis Cammingha (14th century):

DSC03232 by Eleonora F, on Flickr

Castle Beverweert (13th century):

DSC03275 by Eleonora F, on Flickr

Castle Rhijnestein (14th century):

DSC03289 by Eleonora F, on Flickr

DSC03290 by Eleonora F, on Flickr

Some cute towns along the way, especially Cothen:

DSC03288 by Eleonora F, on Flickr

DSC03292 by Eleonora F, on Flickr

and Wijk bij Duurstede at the end:

DSC03299 by Eleonora F, on Flickr

DSC03303 by Eleonora F, on Flickr

But of course it’s the river and the surrounding open space that took center stage here:

DSC03236 by Eleonora F, on Flickr

DSC03242 by Eleonora F, on Flickr

DSC03257 by Eleonora F, on Flickr

DSC03256 by Eleonora F, on Flickr

Willow trees lining up by Eleonora F, on Flickr

DSC03313 by Eleonora F, on Flickr

DSC03322 by Eleonora F, on Flickr

DSC03317 by Eleonora F, on Flickr

And here’s Utrecht’s one and only hill in the background. This ‘Utrechtse Heuvelrug’ is a ridge that was left after the glaciers pulled back at the end of the last ice age. It’s a staggering 70 meters high! ;-)

Lek by Eleonora F, on Flickr

Sunset wasn’t as spectacular due to a thick band of low cloud, but I had a wonderful day anyway so it didn’t matter much. I walked back along the river into Wijk bij Duurstede and took the bus home. Rather silly that it took me 8 hour to walk there, and only 40 minutes to drive back. :lol:
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Dawn till dusk along the Roman border

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:39 pm

Very interesting report and some lovely pics. Very enjoyable.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby icemandan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:02 pm

Nice report - it must be the first ever from the Netherlands.

Is there a site called Walklowlands?
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby Lenore » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:10 pm

Thanks guys! And no, icemandan, that's why I hang out here, hahaha! Plus I consider all my Dutch walks 'Scotland training walks' ;-)
Lenore
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:01 am

Absolutely beautiful Lenore, what a wonderful wander. It reminds me so much of my younger days in Lincolnshire walking the river Ancholme (it doesn't have as much history as this wonderful walk but is a great hike any time of the year). I really enjoyed this, it made a refreshing change from the usual hills and valleys (gotta love the diversity of the 'Outside Scotland' section) The sunrise must have been beautiful with the naked eye and the little town, villages and castles along the way must have made for a continual chain of interesting distractions.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few more of these :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby lackie14 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:58 pm

Been to the Netherlands many times, usually stay in Eindhoven or Helmond
But have never been to Utrecht apart from changing trains, will have to give it a proper look next time
Great pics. :)
lackie14

Munros:12   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Islands:9

Postby Klaasloopt » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:07 pm

Hi Lenore,

Good to see you on WH, hadn't noticed you earlier because I awakened only recently from my 'summer sleep' (= not reading WH because I cannot be in Scotland till March). Now I'm making plans again.

Pick up a copy of 'Hollandse IJsselpad' when you're in Haarlem.

Groetjes!
Klaas
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby Lenore » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:38 pm

Klaasloopt wrote:Hi Lenore,

Good to see you on WH, hadn't noticed you earlier because I awakened only recently from my 'summer sleep' (= not reading WH because I cannot be in Scotland till March). Now I'm making plans again.

Pick up a copy of 'Hollandse IJsselpad' when you're in Haarlem.

Groetjes!
Klaas

Hi Klaas, Hollandse IJsselpad, wrting it down right now, thanks! When in March are you going back to Scotland? I'll be around last week of March. Can't wait :-D
Lenore
Mountaineer

Postby Lenore » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:43 pm

ChrisW wrote:Absolutely beautiful Lenore, what a wonderful wander. It reminds me so much of my younger days in Lincolnshire walking the river Ancholme (it doesn't have as much history as this wonderful walk but is a great hike any time of the year). I really enjoyed this, it made a refreshing change from the usual hills and valleys (gotta love the diversity of the 'Outside Scotland' section) The sunrise must have been beautiful with the naked eye and the little town, villages and castles along the way must have made for a continual chain of interesting distractions. I wouldn't mind seeing a few more of these :clap:

Thanks Chris :D You're right, it was (interesting that is); I was a little afraid it'd be boring, but it wasn't at all! It left me wanting more, so I'm heading back out this coming weekend (camping this time and a bit further south). How about you, done any walks recently? I've not seen a report since the 6 glaciers (or what was the title? The awesome one with the gazillion comments :wink: :lol: ).
Lenore
Mountaineer

Postby Lenore » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:45 pm

lackie14 wrote:Been to the Netherlands many times, usually stay in Eindhoven or Helmond
But have never been to Utrecht apart from changing trains, will have to give it a proper look next time

As I'm a proud Utrechter I'm always more than willing to show people around town (or surrounding country), so do stop off next time and I'll give you a proper tour! :D
Lenore
Mountaineer

Postby lackie14 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:38 pm

Lenore wrote:
lackie14 wrote:Been to the Netherlands many times, usually stay in Eindhoven or Helmond

As I'm a proud Utrechter I'm always more than willing to show people around town (or surrounding country), so do stop off next time and I'll give you a proper tour! :D

Many thanks for your kind offer, much appreciated
lackie14

Munros:12   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Islands:9

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:04 am

Lenore wrote:Thanks Chris :D You're right, it was (interesting that is); I was a little afraid it'd be boring, but it wasn't at all! It left me wanting more, so I'm heading back out this coming weekend (camping this time and a bit further south). How about you, done any walks recently? I've not seen a report since the 6 glaciers (or what was the title? The awesome one with the gazillion comments :wink: :lol: ).

I've been sunning myself on the beach in Florida for a couple of weeks 8) but I'm back now and did an interesting 10k yesterday...a bit of something different :wink: I'll be posting soon :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   

Postby clivegrif » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:33 pm

Beautiful, and such BIG skies!
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland