walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - A little something different, Grotto Creek

Canada - A little something different, Grotto Creek

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:25 am

Date walked: 15/01/2013

Time taken: 3

Distance: 10.4 km

Ascent: 340m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After sunning myself in Florida over Christmas it was nice to be back in the cold clear air of Canada. I had been keeping my eye on the weather here whilst I was away and noted a good number of -30 days, this meant that grotto creek would be frozen and I could go explore an ice trail I had read about online and hopefully see some pictographs drawn by indigenous people over 1000 years ago.

Grotto creek was something I found online some months ago but had to wait for the winter to take hold, though now I've been I think it would make a nice summer afternoon hike too. Parking for the hike is at the Grotto Pond day use parking area on the north side of highway 1A just 3.5 km west of Exshaw, Alberta.

Once again I find myself alone in the car park, it seemed to take an age getting sorted out but the chill morning air felt wonderful. I finally got sorted and decided to leave the snow shoes in the truck, taking both crampons and micros because I couldn't make up my mind on one or the other, I finally set off toward the trailhead at the western end of the car park, looking back to the truck I think it may need washing, though I can still see out of the windows so maybe not yet.
The trailhead is impossible to miss as it has one of those large Kananaskis information boards at the opening to the early forested section.
the first km or so is a well signposted wide pathway that meanders along gaining height very gently, there are a couple of washed out sections that have steep slippery descent and re-ascent slopes to navigate but they are taken in good stride so early in the hike.
soon I am standing on top of a bank overlooking Grotto Creek which at this end is dry and rocky. My route is to drop down here into the creek bed and follow it upstream (right) through the narrowing canyon. I took a moment to look over the Bow Valley and breathed in the scene....it was good to be back in the hills.
after a short hike along the rocky creek bed and the ascent of a small dry waterfall I found the frozen section I was seeking, looking back over the route so far it's difficult to make out the downstream path through the forest.
as soon as I hit the ice proper I decide on the micros as the surface is very even and crampons would be overkill. My route continues from the right in the shot below to the left around the meandering ice flow. It is so easy going that I don't feel I'm working at all and I stride along with a smile on my face.
There followed a wonderful twisting, turning hike over the frozen creek with just the sound of my micros biting into the ice for company. In places where the ice is clearer I can see that it is around a foot thick, no wonder it feels so solid underfoot.
At times the walls were steep and the creek narrowed to just a few feet with large rocky outcrops looming overhead
at times it was wide and I could see a reasonable distance along the frozen mass, some areas had recent melt water running over the top of the ice which seemed a bit strange at first, but I got used to it quickly.
I confess that I have worked and worked at this image to try and get the pictograph more visible, on the left side of the canyon just above head height and significantly faded they are difficult to spot but I suppose 1000 years of wear and tear will have that affect. Apparently there are a number of them in a couple of locations, all I will say is good luck in finding them!
As I approach the 'Y' junction in the creek (that represents the end of the trail for most people who come here) the walls close in again and rise up on both sides.
just a short distance through the almost vertical walls brings me to the junction. The falls are surprisingly small which may go some way to explaining the lack of people here today, these are usually the target for local ice climbers. To the right is a small frozen fall then a dead end, to the left the canyon continues.
I made a little dash across the ice to provide some scale beside the falls, though I missed the pose it still provides the intended purpose. I arrived here from the left of the shot below and will continue my hike upstream past the ice falls.
Further upstream a sharp horseshoe allows me to capture the falls on the right and the continued creek on the left. There is no ice here just trodden snow and rocks.
After another stretch of steep sided canyon I break out to a more open valley and see the sunshine over the mountain tops ahead.
Along the valley the going is still pretty easy and there is a nice compacted trail that leads to a large hoodoo which has an impressive cave in it's southern flank
I keep on heading upstream long after the trail has ended, just exploring really. I like the look of the mountains on my left which appear to have a good flat ridge line, perhaps one I will try to find information on....excursions north of the 'Trans Canada' are rare from me as my maps and guide books are all focussed on the much larger southern Kananaskis area, time to spread my wings perhaps.
As the snow gets deeper and deeper I keep disappearing as I step into 'holes' between boulders on the dry creek bed, it's pretty funny but bloody hard work, eventually as the trees close in around the creek bed I turn around and call it a day.
As I made my way back to the ice falls I stopped and had lunch close to the hoodoos before returning to the easy going frozen creek. I came across a guy from Sheffield who was all geared up for ice climbing with his girlfriend, they only had 1 week of their holiday left and were very disappointed with the ice conditions. Nick was a nice guy and in training to be a GP, we walked back to the car park together as he reminded me how lucky I am, and said as soon as he qualifies he is leaving the UK and coming to Canada...I guess this place has that effect on people.

This was a nice gentle return to the hills after the cushy beach life of Florida, and a little bit of something different. Now perhaps that ridge to Grotto Mountain should be explored further.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - A little something different, Grotto Creek

Postby Lenore » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:17 am

Something different alright! How cool to be exploring somewhere you cannot go most of the year. Thanks for sharing this unique walk. If stuff north of the trans-Canada (whatever that is, a road?) is like this I think it's high time you buy yourself some guidebooks and maps for this area! What's a hoodoo, btw?
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:09 pm

Glad you're out and about again in the cold and snow, Chris :D
A lovely interesting walk and photos but, looking forward to the big mountain ones :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:27 pm

Lenore wrote:Something different alright! How cool to be exploring somewhere you cannot go most of the year. Thanks for sharing this unique walk. If stuff north of the trans-Canada (whatever that is, a road?) is like this I think it's high time you buy yourself some guidebooks and maps for this area! What's a hoodoo, btw?

Thanks Lenore, this was an interesting little warm up :wink: The Trans Canada is a road that crosses coast to coast, it's one of those that people visit just to make the 5000 mile journey, it passes just 1km from my house and is my route to the mountains (30 mins on the Trans Canada gets me into the Rockies)

I should have explained hoodoos too, sorry; a hoodoo is a rock chimney protruding from a canyon, they are formed by erosion of soft rock, usually a harder rock sitting on top withstands the effects of erosion but all around that the softer rock continues to erode, over long periods of time this creates a chimney type structure. Perhaps the best known example would be Bryce Canyon in Utah, USA which I visited in July 2009, click for pics There is a long canyon about 2 hours north-east of Calgary that has many of them and is on my 'visit list' so you'll be seeing more of them at some point :D
SusieThePensioner wrote:Glad you're out and about again in the cold and snow, Chris :D
A lovely interesting walk and photos but, looking forward to the big mountain ones :lol:

Thanks Susie, I'm going to do a few mountains this winter as I've 'found my feet' over here now, I won't be going mad at it so 6000 - 8000 footers will be the max I think......I'll see how it goes, there are very few 'walk up' mountains here and scrambling alone in winter needs a cautious approach :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby L-Hiking » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:48 pm

Chris

You are so lucky, the photographs are wonderful, and the ice and frozen waterfalls spectacular.

Keep away from the cave, Yogi may be hiding in there!!

We have a little of the white stuff and my mate and I were captured by some press photographer at the Hole of Horcum link below..report on its way

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/01 ... de=1986889
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:29 pm

L-Hiking wrote:Chris
You are so lucky, the photographs are wonderful, and the ice and frozen waterfalls spectacular. Keep away from the cave, Yogi may be hiding in there!! We have a little of the white stuff and my mate and I were captured by some press photographer at the Hole of Horcum link below..report on its way http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/01 ... de=1986889

Cheers LH, I like the "two men start their walk" sideline, I'm sure there is a hint of :wtf: in that statement :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby quoman » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:45 pm

Hi Mate.. walking up a frozen river only in Canada :lol: :clap: that cave looks good ehh wonder what's in there.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:58 pm

quoman wrote:Hi Mate.. walking up a frozen river only in Canada :lol: :clap: that cave looks good ehh wonder what's in there.

Hi Quomqn :D I wondered that too.....then I walked on by :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby morag1 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:15 pm

Happy (belated) New Year Chris, hope you had a great time in Florida :D

Another great walk, love the idea of walking the path of a frozen river, something you can only do for a short time each year. Really interested to read about the wall carvings, shame they're not a bit clearer.

I must say I love the names the Canadians give to the Rockies, Grotto Creek sounds nice although at first I thought it was something to do with religion, a statue in the Grotto :roll:

Well done on getting out there in these cold temperatures, looking forward to the next walk already :D
morag1

Postby mrssanta » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:09 pm

walking up a river messes with my head a little, but it looks like a lot of fun :D
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby ChrisW » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:20 pm

morag1 wrote:Happy (belated) New Year Chris, hope you had a great time in Florida :D
Another great walk, love the idea of walking the path of a frozen river, something you can only do for a short time each year. Really interested to read about the wall carvings, shame they're not a bit clearer.
I must say I love the names the Canadians give to the Rockies, Grotto Creek sounds nice although at first I thought it was something to do with religion, a statue in the Grotto :roll: Well done on getting out there in these cold temperatures, looking forward to the next walk already :D

Thanks Morag, Happy New Year to you too. I think sometimes it's good to do a little something different so we don't get stale, and to be honest the mountains are fast approaching the stage of being out of reach for a few months :( It may be time to go back to the little ridges (well 5,000 - 6,000 feet ridges) that I took on when we first got here :think: In fact it might be nice to redo them and compare the 'then and now' scenarios :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Silverhill » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:12 pm

Wow, that's a stunning area! You're a lucky man Chris!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:39 pm

Silverhill wrote:Wow, that's a stunning area! You're a lucky man Chris!

Thanks Silverhill, I can't believe I'm out here doing this, I thank my lucky stars every time out, I am indeed a lucky bloke :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:17 pm

Back home and up to your knees in snow again! Plus some iced-river walking - that's my type of entertainment! :D :D
Glad to see you are enjoying the winter, mountains look as stunning as always and these falls don't really seem small for me... Well, maybe not Niagara, but still just as good as Scottish ones :lol:
We climbed our first 2013 mountain yesterday - temperatures in Scotland have dropped below zero and small streams higher on the hills are frozen solid. Forecast for Wed/Thu night says -7* in Beauly, -14* Kingussie and Aviemore. Brrrrrr.... We're experiencing a wee taste of Canadian weather. Not that I'm complaining :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby DaveB1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:05 pm

That's better Chris, back to the white stuff. Superb pics, I guess the bears are hibernating :lol: I think you've got at least 20 degrees start on 'cold', but we are trying hard here in Blighty. Keep them coming, Dave
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland