walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The pensioners return to the beautiful island.

The pensioners return to the beautiful island.

Postby gaffr » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:27 pm

Date walked: 08/06/2008

Distance: 180 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It seemed to be quiet on the 'outside Scotland' front at the moment. The folks down-south who were giving me an education on the vast amount of good walking in both England and Wales appear to have gone into hibernation? So, perhaps, as a wee break from the very fine accounts of life in the freezer in the Scottish Highlands I send some images of warmer times, spent in 2008, on the mediterranean island. There being no direct flight to Bastia with BA now so we ended up getting a ferry from Nice to Calvi which allowed us to hatch a plan from the west side of the island. During the GR20 journey we didn't manage to fit Monte Cintu into the timetable. Plan was...to re-do the first three stages of the GR then ascend Cintu.....hitch down to the East coast to follow the Mare- Mare Nord and reach the West coast.
1 Corsica map.jpg
A rough map showing the several long distance routes on the island.
2  Leaving Calinzana behind on the GR20.jpg
Calinzana is the starting village for two of the long routes.
3 A gloomy camp at d'Ortu di u Piobbu.jpg
A damp cool night at this camp
4 Our stony campsite at Carozzu.jpg
These English made tents seem to do the business anyway the gentleman at Saunders was very friendly.
5 Spasimata gorge above Carozzu.jpg
A fine journey to the highpoint prior to dropping down to Haut Ascu
6 down to Haut Asco.jpg
Haut Ascu seems to have had its day as a skiing venue but is a fine place from which to reach Monte Cintu.
7 a look back to Cintu.jpg
The view was not clear in the morning going up...Marife, being French, doesn't see much point going into the mountains unless the sun is shining! ..so she explored Haut Ascu instead.
8 unmistakably Cintu summit.jpg
Not any view at all...all a bit grey!
9 clearing on Monte Cintu during the descent.jpg
Usually things come good in the end.
11 gaining height above the East Coast San Nicolao.jpg
Different walking..into the real Corsica?
11a The sole resident at Forci.jpg
This was the 'norm' in most of the villages...maybe folks work in mainland France and return for holidays and in retirement?
12 the garage Gite at P Alesani.jpg
Tractor and implements upstairs with a useful conversion underneath for travelling folks.
13 all clear next day view from Sermano possibly Monte d'Oru.jpg
This time we have to cross the mountain chain at Col di Vieghio.
14  more detail of the Corte Citadel.jpg
Corte is the ancient capital of Corsica....our lawyer/writer James Boswell met up with the reformer Pascal Paoli in this town in 1766.
15 Figs in Corte Campsite.jpg
Figs in the Corte Campsite area.
16 The missing bit of theTavignano mule trail.jpg
Definite land slip here......glad that I wasn't anywhere near at the time!
16 The missing bit of theTavignano mule trail.jpg
Definite land slip here......glad that I wasn't anywhere near at the time!
17 further into Tavignano.jpg
One of the most delightful days anywhere, traversing this gorge from Corte, to the Higher ground in the hills.
17a breakfast at Sega refuge.jpg
From Sega paths go in many directions into main chain of mountains
17b  Bocca a l'Arinella.jpg
From here the Southern slopes of Cintu can be gazed upon.
17c The Guardian of the col de Verghio.jpg
From here we travel mainly downhill to the West coast.
18  E Case refuge.jpg
Refuge E Case where we camped and had breakfast....a group of eight stayed in the refuge.
19 Cargese and the west Coast below.jpg
Unfortuneately the camping is some five kls. North of the town1
20 Capu d'Orto above Porto.jpg
After a white knuckle ride on the bus through amazing rock scenery...we had a camp in Porto...this little beauty Capu d'Orto was seen from the camp! This area would need several days to full
Attachments
10  start of the Mare a Mare.jpg
Moriani...start of the journey to the West coast.
Last edited by gaffr on Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Re: The pensioners return to the beautiful island.

Postby GarryH » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:15 pm

Super report and super photo`s. You`re right it has been quiet on the WROS. Must admit I`ve not been out much of late,only locally,so does not really warrant a report.But I am missing susanmyatt and the gangs walk reports.
Where are you sue and the gang?
GarryH

Postby mountain coward » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:46 am

What stupendous scenery - Corsica does look a cracking island...

I've been wondering where Sue M is too... We want Sue... We want Sue! :D
mountain coward

Postby John Burgess » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:41 am

I'm envious. I once took the family cycling around the island but have never had the chance to do any walking there.
Lovely report, thanks!

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Munros:282   Corbetts:144
Fionas:78   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Postby FMCKIE » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:06 pm

Love the place and would love to go back. I have always fancied the GR20 but the time thing is hard these days. I have enjoyed two trips out walking the mountains and some climbing in Bavella and the north. A traverse across the edge of Capu Tafunato ( mountain with the hole through it) was one of the most dangerous episodes of my climbing days and one I dont want to repeat :D

BTW : Loved the pictures and the reminder of the roads are like you say a bit of a white knuckle ride. :lol:
FMCKIE

Sub 2000:6   

Postby gaffr » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:15 pm

Hello,
glad to hear that you enjoyed Corsica...the hole in the wall mountain is the one beside Paglia Orba? We could see a huge hole up near the top. We had some soup at the refuge at Mori before continueing down to Col di Verghio. I would like to go back to do the Paglia Orba it looks like a bit of a rocky scramble up from the col beween the two mountains. We also came across another top with a similar name at Paliri refuge, with a hole 'drilled' through it, although smaller than the one at Tafanatu. I can remember seeing a signpost at Bavella directing folks towards the Trou de la Bombe which is another top with a big hole through it...it's almost as if the artilliary had been firing explosive shots at them. As they say around every corner in Corse there is something that catches the eye!
Attachments
Natural sculpture near to Anima Damnata.JPG
2 tent at d'Usciolu.JPG
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland