walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Beaver Lodge - An accidental Hike!

Canada - Beaver Lodge - An accidental Hike!

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:04 pm

Date walked: 28/01/2013

Time taken: 3

Distance: 12.4 km

Ascent: 421m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was such a beautiful day today I decided to take my camera and go down to Elbow Falls and see if I could find some nice shots of the area. After hiking two mountains late last week I didn't fancy another just yet, so I didn't actually intend to hike anywhere today but on arrival at the winter gate on highway 66 I looked along the closed section of road and thought to myself 'maybe I'll just have a little wander up here' .
I set off along the road with no rucksack, supplies, map or compass. I did have a bottle of water and some sweets on my utility belt though, and my trusty gps. I managed about 500 meters before I decided to drop down off the road to an area called Beaver Lodge. I had seen this signposted as I drove by numerous times but never actually visited, as I was walking past today I thought I would just take a quick look.
The snow was pretty deep in places but my trousers have snow cuffs at the bottom so most of it is kept out of the boots even when knee deep. Temperature when I left the truck was -8 so a perfect day for a gentle wander with the camera.
I don't know if there are still beaver in the area though local information boards suggest there are, I didn't see any sign of them today. I will be interesting to come back in spring/summer and see if I can grab a shot of them.
there are still dams and long channels dug into the soft earth suggesting that beavers were certainly here very recently. At this point the hill behind the trees starts to look interesting, the foothills only reach 6000/7000 feet but make great ascents at this time of year.
I decide to carry on upstream and try to identify a route across the river to the peak opposite, from this side there are a series of large verticals that would be very difficult to ascend from here so I carry on hoping to find a more suitable ascent around the other side. (not for today as I am not equipped, but maybe later in the week)
The river spreads and closes out my easy walking forcing me to scramble up the bank using the trees for assistance.
from up above the tree line the hill opposite becomes much more interesting showing a long ridge running along the southern side (the same ridge that prevents access from the western slope) I decide to walk upstream to see if there is a route from the south-east.
I drop down to the river again and use the iced edges as a path where possible, if we could just get a week of -20's this would be frozen again and crossing would be a doddle.
I still find it strange that it is so cold yet the river continues to run, with the iced edges creaking beneath me I move inward a little and find a previously trodden area where someone has passed through in snowshoes which saves me getting over boot depth in the snow again.
the river twists and turns through the foothills but the going is pretty good and it is a beautiful day to be out in the hills. In some places the river narrows to a stream but never quite enough to cross over.
The further I go into the wilderness the more I can see of the south-east section of that nameless hill, from here I think a route up the s/e flank would be achievable even though that damn vertical ridge is still there.
finally I'm well clear of the hill and can look back on the s/e flank, though it looks like a forest covered slope in the photo close viewing shows that damn ridge encircling the peak though a route up the s/e flank to the ridge is now looking easy and following the ridge would likely result in discovering an access point somewhere.
From here the ridge on my unnamed target is more clearly visible but there does seem to be a more gentle slope coming in from the east, I feel like I've discovered something as I stand looking out over the foothills.
I tried reaching a rock pinnacle for a photo but without my poles for stability I couldn't move fast enough for the 10 second timer, but the resulting photo is worth including as it shows the scale of the area.
I hiked the ridge a little way to grab a shot from the corner before calling it a day and following the same route out and back to the truck.
When I got home I looked at all the info I have on the area but can't find a name for the hill or a route up it, if nothing else I'm going to have to hike up to that damn ridge and see it I can find a way through, maybe I'll wait until summer, wade the river and take a rope to make a real effort on the summit of this engrossing little lump.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - Beaver Lodge - An accidental Hike!

Postby Silverhill » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:28 pm

Nothing beats an impromptu walk! Stunning pictures as ever 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:19 am

Silverhill wrote:Nothing beats an impromptu walk! Stunning pictures as ever 8)

Thanks Silverhill, you may be right, I think the lack of planning made this little jaunt much more fun.
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby morag1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:41 am

Great photos of a walk you didnt mean to do :lol:

Always nice to log onto the site and find out which part of the beautiful Rockies you've been to :D
morag1

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:54 pm

Wonderful to be able to just launch off on an unknown trail :lol: Beautiful photos as ever, Chris :D

At least we've had some snow here in the North East but, not many blue skies.
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:56 pm

morag1 wrote:Great photos of a walk you didnt mean to do :lol:
Always nice to log onto the site and find out which part of the beautiful Rockies you've been to :D

Thanks Morag, I'll be wandering the foothills for a month or two now until spring arrives :roll: ....... :lol:
SusieThePensioner wrote:Wonderful to be able to just launch off on an unknown trail :lol: Beautiful photos as ever, Chris :D At least we've had some snow here in the North East but, not many blue skies. :D

Thanks Susie, finding that area caused me to look into it once back at home, I may have found a whole new playground for the wintertime, just need to check on an access route next time out :wink: Love your shots of Castlerigg and the Ullswater reflections :clap:
Last edited by ChrisW on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:34 pm

Beautiful as always. :D :D :D
"-9*C = the best temperature for hiking" - here in Scotland we can hardly count on such temps. We have 80mph winds instead :wink:

I like the idea of "accidental" outdoor adventures. We climbed a Munro once by accident: planned something lower, got confused in the cloud, took the wrong path and then oops! we are on the Munro summit!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:47 pm

Some fine scenery once again Chris. I guess it's hard not to keep walking with that kind of scenery in your back yard :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby ChrisW » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:49 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Beautiful as always. :D :D :D "-9*C = the best temperature for hiking" - here in Scotland we can hardly count on such temps. We have 80mph winds instead :wink: I like the idea of "accidental" outdoor adventures. We climbed a Munro once by accident: planned something lower, got confused in the cloud, took the wrong path and then oops! we are on the Munro summit!

Thanks BP, 80 mph winds are no fun...the UK weather seems to be changing into a totally unpredictable mash of extremes :?

Johnny Corbett wrote:Some fine scenery once again Chris. I guess it's hard not to keep walking with that kind of scenery in your back yard :D

Cheers JC, the trouble is there is always another corner to 'just see around' before you know it you're 10k away :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:51 pm

Nothing beats that sense of liberation you get from an unexpected walk. Thanks for sharing Chris.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby L-Hiking » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:06 pm

ChrisW wrote: At this point the hill behind the trees starts to look interesting, the foothills only reach 6000/7000 feet but make great ascents at this time of year

Nice report Chris.....Only 6000 to 7000 feet :crazy: Just twice the hight of Englands highest :lol:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:44 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Nothing beats that sense of liberation you get from an unexpected walk. Thanks for sharing Chris.

Cheers JK, after doing 14km yesterday trying to find a way onto that ridge from the north, it looks like I'll be heading back this way :lol:

L-Hiking wrote:
ChrisW wrote: At this point the hill behind the trees starts to look interesting, the foothills only reach 6000/7000 feet but make great ascents at this time of year
Nice report Chris.....Only 6000 to 7000 feet :crazy: Just twice the hight of Englands highest :lol:

Heeeey LH....Ben Nevis is 4409 feet above sea level :shock: (I'm still only walking a munro height to get to em :wink: )
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby rockhopper » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:23 pm

thought I'd pop over to the dark side (OK...outside Scotland :wink: ) and see what you'd been getting up to Chris 8) have been having a look at some of your other reports as well as this one - stunning as ever Chris ! :thumbup: I'd echo JC's comment above - with this in your backyard it's no wonder you want to keep going and getting out not that I'm at all jealous :sick: :sick: and at least your camera works at -8c (unlike mine :roll: ) - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ChrisW » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:31 am

rockhopper wrote:thought I'd pop over to the dark side (OK...outside Scotland :wink: ) and see what you'd been getting up to Chris 8) have been having a look at some of your other reports as well as this one - stunning as ever Chris ! :thumbup: I'd echo JC's comment above - with this in your backyard it's no wonder you want to keep going and getting out not that I'm at all jealous :sick: :sick: and at least your camera works at -8c (unlike mine :roll: ) - cheers :D

Cheers Rockhopper, I did think :wtf: when I read your report with the camera trouble. I've used mine at -38 while in Calgary, it did get through 3 batteries in 45 minutes as opposed to the usual 1 per day....but it kept going :crazy:
ChrisW
Rambler

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland