walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Spirit Overlook - Has Spring Arrived in the Rockies

Canada - Spirit Overlook - Has Spring Arrived in the Rockies

by ChrisW » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:09 am

Date walked: 14/02/2013

Time taken: 5

Distance: 12.9 km

Ascent: 743m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Canada - Spirit Overlook - Has Spring Arrived in the Roc

Postby ChrisW » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:48 pm

garyhortop wrote:Great report Chris and again some stunning photo's!! :D I think Phooey is right - you could match Damson in that jacket! Still.......at least there is no chance of losing you in that jacket.....suspect you might be visible from Space! :D :shock:

Cheers Gary, visibility is key for lone wolf hikers, in the event of a fall or other incapacitation it could be a life saver :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:10 pm

I just love the photos...simply amazing!! It sounds like a really great walk! The new jacket is great!! Why cant they make colour like that in the UK?? :? :D :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby ChrisW » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:34 am

Mountainlove wrote:I just love the photos...simply amazing!! It sounds like a really great walk! The new jacket is great!! Why cant they make colour like that in the UK?? :? :D :D

Thanks ML, I really enjoyed it, even with the turn back before the summit. You should have said something earlier about the jacket - I'm coming home tomorrow I could have got one in your size and brought it along, they have some awesome colours to choose from out here :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby PeteR » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:46 pm

Another trip from the top drawer Chris :D Abolutely stunning landscape :D

And like others, I can't not mention the jacket :D Very......er.....bright :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:22 pm

Great report as ever Chris. :thumbup: Well done for ignoring the summit fever and letting common sense take hold.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby jonny616 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:14 pm

Quality item as always Chris. starting to look very different as the snow melts. 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:01 pm

PeteR wrote:Another trip from the top drawer Chris :D Abolutely stunning landscape :D
And like others, I can't not mention the jacket :D Very......er.....bright :lol:

Cheers Pete....I can't not wear it :lol:

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Great report as ever Chris. :thumbup: Well done for ignoring the summit fever and letting common sense take hold.

Thanks JK, I think when the snow is gone I will try to attack this one from the other side as it promises stunning views.

jonny616 wrote:Quality item as always Chris. starting to look very different as the snow melts. 8)

The winter was really mild again this year and though there are still storms to come, the worst is over and spring is just around the corner :D

Sorry about the delayed response to you three guys, I went back to the UK for a week and contracted Bronchitis which I saved until I got back to Calgary, once here I opted for the 56 hour fever option folowed by prolonged coughing up of internal organs :roll:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Fudgie » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:43 am

I really should come in here more often. Some phenomenal pictures in there and I'm just a wee bit jealous of the weather you got :(

Is that a fish eye lens you're using?
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby ChrisW » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:45 am

Fudgie wrote:I really should come in here more often. Some phenomenal pictures in there and I'm just a wee bit jealous of the weather you got :(
Is that a fish eye lens you're using?

Cheers Fudgie, with 333 days of sunshine per year Calgary is the place to be, people moan about the cold, I just dress appropriately and get on with it :wink: I'll take cold with bright sunshine over clag and warm any day of the week :lol:
The lens is actually a 28-300mm to cover all eventualities whilst wandering, to capture the landscapes I shoot a couple or more shots and stitch them together later. I found when I took my wide angle lens I got beautiful landscape shots but missed all the wildlife so got the 28-300 to do a 'best of both worlds' without having to change lenses whilst out - its bloody heavy but I like it :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby litljortindan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:22 pm

A wild looking place well described. Looks like very challenging terrain.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland