walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Nepal Trek - Manaslu Himal

Nepal Trek - Manaslu Himal

Postby missMHK » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:15 am

Date walked: 10/11/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So, the whole reason I found myself wandering the great oudoors of Scotland throughout 2009 was because I'd volunteered to go on a Himalayan trek in November & had to get myself fit sharpish. What I didn't expect was to actually enjoy myself, early rises, camping & exercise who'd have thought! :D

Anyway I know this is a walk report so I'll not go into too much detail outside of the trek. Just quickly, the reason behind it was to support 10 young people who live in care (foster care & residential units) to complete the trek & raise money. We called the trip 'reaching higher' because that's what we wanted the kids to do both literally and figuratively!

So here goes with the photos, I'll keep the the commentary to a minimum & let the views speak for themselves. If I start going into any detail I won't be able to stop and this will be the longest report ever, so here are some key facts: we walked approx 120k over 6 days, climbing to about 4000 metres. Temp usually between 25-30 degrees during the day but went down to -10 at night for the highest 3 camps. Hope you enjoy, it was really hard picking 25 from the 700 I took!

missMHK x

CIMG1451.JPG
Can't remember this dude's name but he paid for the International Peace Pagoda to be built overlooking Lake Phewi at Pokhara.
CIMG1453.JPG
Mahesh, our head Sherpa looking out to Maccupuchare, the 'fishtail mountain' which dominates the Pokhara skyline.
CIMG1513.JPG
The bridge to the start of our trek!
CIMG1571.JPG
CIMG1589.JPG
Water buffalo strayed onto our path several times, they look way scarier when charging towards you!
CIMG1608.JPG
CIMG1610.JPG
CIMG1665.JPG
Camp 2 - getting much colder when the sun goes down - plus you can just see the toilet tents!
CIMG1695.JPG
The jungle! Spider central, had to overcome that particular fear quite quickly.
CIMG1708.JPG
Steam rising from the jungle - now I understand how rainforests work.
CIMG1727.JPG
CIMG1748.JPG
CIMG1758.JPG
Sunset arriving at camp 3 - about 4000 metres.
CIMG1780.JPG
View from the sacred lake which was our destination - we all made it in one piece!
CIMG1804.JPG
View coming back down - you can't even see the bottom.
CIMG1827.JPG
Porters carrying their doku baskets.
CIMG1826.JPG
View from camp 4 to Manaslu Himal
CIMG1836.JPG
Mahesh at Eagle View, you can see how high up we are looking down to the Marsiandi river.
CIMG1862.JPG
CIMG1867.JPG
These guys were wee rascals, they were obviously the village cool gang.
CIMG1876.JPG
This little boy was a crack shot with his catapult - he appeared out of the jungle shot some fruit from a tree & disappeared again.
CIMG1848.JPG
CIMG1923.JPG
The dodgy bridge to finish the trek, not for the faint hearted.
CIMG1966.JPG
After the tranquility of the trek, Kathmandu was terrifying!
CIMG1982.JPG
Mount Everest as seen from a flying shoebox! We got much closer but my camera died.
missMHK

Munros:11   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1

Re: Nepal Trek - Manaslu Himal

Postby mountain coward » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:05 am

The bridges look great fun - however, some of the drops off the 'trail' look a bit scary! Were there any really hairy bits? (excluding bridges - I never find them scary)...

Still haven't got to the Himalaya yet... :(
mountain coward

Postby sloosh » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:39 pm

Stunning! Absolutely stunning. I wouldn't object to a few more pics. :)
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Milesy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:40 pm

Great pictures. Post some more please :)
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby HighlandSC » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:59 pm

FANTASTIC!! :D 8)
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland