walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Views on the Berwyns

Views on the Berwyns

Postby munrogimp » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:43 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Cadair Berwyn, Cadair Bronwen

Date walked: 17/03/2013

Time taken: 5

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 830m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sunday morning and Mrs Munrogimp states between sups of tea: "let’s take the dog for a walk up Moel Fammau". I looked out of the bedroom window at the snow smothered Berwyn Mountains and said with manly authority "NO let’s do a proper walk up that there hill".
I'd been up the oft over looked Berwyns before but this is usually out of Mrs M'gimp's league (a meadows and lanes walker). However seven days of Lake District training a week ago drastically reduced her usual whinging.
We’d had over a decade of watching the weather, light, colour and seasons change on the Berwyns from our home but had never ventured up them together. They always metaphorically stay in the shadow of their Snowdonian relatives, also visible from the bedroom, but call just as loudly to us to get out and explore them, so we did.
We parked opposite The Berwyn restaurant and left Llandrillo village in our wake heading east down the lane past the village hall. The lane soon turned to track and then open pasture land, but every step afforded us better views of this pretty valley. Patches of snow thickened as we gained more height and Mrs M’gimp took in more of the views.
Berwyn1.jpg
Mrs Munrogimp not quite getting how to wear neck warmer properly.

The dog was having a ball of a time and we left the path at about 430 mtrs at Moel Ty Uchaf where there’s an interesting stone circle.... and views. Mrs M’gimp likes views.
The pastures soon turned to moorland and thick but sloppy-wet snow. This did make the going tougher and thus required more view appreciation time.
The main path would ordinarily turn south and east after Moel Pearce to direct you to the saddle of Cadair Bronwen and Cadair Berwyn. I opted to follow the fence line directly to the top of Bronwen. This now very snowy ascent was better quality snow but its steepness also increased the view stoppage frequency ratio.
At Cadair Bronwen cups of piping hot coffee and chocolate cake were scoffed as the dog hoovered around other masticating ramblers sheltering around the cairn. There was a steady breeze which significantly reduced the temperature around the ears.
The views were stunning and home was spotted in the distance but we had to press on.
Mrs M’gimp wasn’t impressed that the board-walks down to the saddle hadn’t been on our ascending route. As we climbed out of the steep saddle heading towards Cadair Berwyn she kept stopping. I asked why. She panted “the..fur…king…vuse”. I still have no idea what she was on about.
We eventually topped out and walked along the cliffs above the head of the Dyffryn Ceiriog valley – stunning in the snow. The welcome sight of the trig point atop Berwyn signalled no more climbing to Mrs M’gimp's relief and for the first time in our 21 years together I witnessed her run down the hillside.
Berwyn3.jpg
Big views from the top

The walk back in to Llandrillo was uneventful but sunny over rough, wet and decreasingly snowy moorland until we hit the bridal path back to the village. It took us 5 hours in all but clearly Naismith doesn’t factor in viewing time as he says it should have taken 4 ½ hrs.
Berwyn4.jpg
Happy to be back down.
munrogimp
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:22   

Re: Views on the Berwyns

Postby ChrisW » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:05 am

Great report MG, it had me laughing out loud in places - Mrs MG and "the .........fur........king........vuse" is a cracking line :lol: What's going on with those pictures...they are all really small :? Anyway, a fine report and really entertaining read :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby munrogimp » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:06 am

Thanks Chris but the photos were only taken on my mobile phone and I had to compress them even further to allow them to load. I'm not technically savvy so much of the beauty of the walk has been lost. Not quite in the league of your pictures but the main mission was accomplished: get the Mrs out on a proper hill! :D
munrogimp
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:22   

Postby snowdonia7 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:40 pm

Very good report as always - I expect to stop to take in the views quite often as I trail in your wake in Scotland over the easter weekend.
snowdonia7

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:36   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland