walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My week in Englandshire and Wales ;-) Day 2

My week in Englandshire and Wales ;-) Day 2

Postby tall-story » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:43 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Barrow, Causey Pike, Eel Crag, Grisedale Pike, Hopegill Head, Outerside, Sail, Scar Crags

Hewitts included on this walk: Causey Pike, Crag Hill (Eel Crag), Grisedale Pike, Hopegill Head, Sail, Scar Crags

Date walked: 10/03/2013

Time taken: 6.25

Distance: 17.1 km

Ascent: 1480m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Day 2. Let the Battle (with the weather commence) Well after most of the Sat being a washout ad just starting to clear at sun set we could see that the Sunday looked like it could be a better day for walking (cloud free) :wink: Oh how wrong I was :shock: ! After a little drive around Braithwaite we eventually found the parking space for this walk, and there was NO parking ticket required :clap: :D . So off we went and soon found the start of the walk at Barrow Lodge and before long we were closing in on the snow line and the wind was picking up so it was time to get more layers on. Minutes later we were at the first summit of the day, Barrow and it was blowing an absolute hoolie :wtf: although the visibility was looking good for now anyway, great views all around with the sun hitting some of the fresh overnight snow on the surrounding hills, it was looking great. Onward we went and after we figured out the maze of paths we were soon on Outerside and then on to Causey Pike and thats when the wind and snow showers realy picked up :shock: . So it was gloves and hat on and time to zip up all round, and as long as I didnt turn around to take too many photos :lol: I would be fine as the wind was hitting the back right side (I ended up taking 125 photos on this day :roll: ). On we went and it was with out a word of exageration it was the coldest, windiest day I have had on the hills even after 240 odd Munros, and I work outside so I thought that I was fairly weather hardy :? Nope, I guess not ! So on we went and umpteen photos later we were at Crag Hill, and this was the first time I had to walk on what I think was rain which had fallen on to stones (or Melted snow) and had frozen ? It was like walking on ice cubes and guess what I had not brought my crampons :oops: . So rather than go over the end of Crag Hill we had to skirt around to the left and to find snow to walk in as it would be far easier to walk in,and it turned out there was plenty of on what would be the West side of the hill. This was when we decided not to go for Grasmoor on this walk as we had even further to walk head first in to the wind on the way back. So on we battled till we got to Hopegill Head when we had to turn and face the wind :shock:, it was bloomin horrendous! It must have been 40-50mph with stronger gusts with the added bonus of hail showers :thumbdown:. On we went though, through what only could be described as a blizzard for the next 30 mins or so and we could then start to see the summit of the last summit of the day, Grisedale Pike. After even more photos we started to head down hill which we had to be pretty careful as it is a fairly narrow ridge and a trip in the wrong place could end up in a bit of bother :shock: so after about maybe an hour we were back at the car and what a relief that was. THere was more though, we still had a 4.5 hr drive to do to get us to our nxt destination in Wales! Enjoy the photos once again. Colin
Attachments
Coledale Horseshoe from Braithwaite (3).JPG
Grisedale Pike from Barrow Lodge
Coledale Horseshoe from Braithwaite (11).JPG
Skiddaw from Barrow
Coledale Horseshoe from Braithwaite (15).JPG
Causey Pike from Barrow
Coledale Horseshoe from Braithwaite (16).JPG
Outerside from Barrow path
Coledale Horseshoe from Braithwaite (20).JPG
What do you want Dad? Its in here somewhere !!
Coledale Horseshoe from Braithwaite (21).JPG
Sail and Crag Hill from Outerside
Coledale Horseshoe from Braithwaite (33).JPG
Summit of Causey Pike
Coledale Horseshoe from Braithwaite (40).JPG
Summit of Sail with Causey Pike, Outermost and Skiddaw in the background
Coledale Horseshoe from Braithwaite (48).JPG
Buttermere and Wandhope from Sail
Coledale Horseshoe from Braithwaite (51).JPG
Summit of Crag Hill with Grisedale Pike behind
Coledale Horseshoe from Braithwaite (56).JPG
Looking back towards Crag Hill,Sail,Scar Crags and Causey Pike with outermost on the left
Coledale Horseshoe from Braithwaite (68).JPG
Crag Hill from the path to Hopegill Head
Coledale Horseshoe from Braithwaite (71).JPG
Amazing, during such a wild day!
Coledale Horseshoe from Braithwaite (73).JPG
Grasmoor from Hopegill Head
Coledale Horseshoe from Braithwaite (75).JPG
Hopegill Head with Whiteside in the background
Coledale Horseshoe from Braithwaite (84).JPG
Grisedale Pike
Coledale Horseshoe from Braithwaite (95).JPG
Grisedale Summit
Coledale Horseshoe from Braithwaite (99).JPG
Coming off Grisedale with Barrow and Derwent Water to the right
Coledale Horseshoe from Braithwaite (106).JPG
Grisedale with Crag Hill and Grasmoor in the background
Coledale Horseshoe from Braithwaite (116).JPG
Almost done, the view back to Grisedale
Coledale Horseshoe from Braithwaite (119).JPG
Stats for the day
The Coledale horseshoe from Grisedale Pike.JPG
Half of the Colesdale Horseshoe from Grisedale
tall-story
Walker

Munros:158   Corbetts:222
Fionas:37   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:21   

Re: My week in Englandshire and Wales ;-) Day 2

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:05 am

This is a real stunner Colin,good distance and ascent covered too on such a cold day :shock: .....there really is nowhere to hide when the wind blows over those open tops....brrrrrr.

Some really beautiful photos again, looking forward to the next installments :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland