walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Causey Pike

Causey Pike

Postby johnnyaztec » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:03 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Barrow, Causey Pike, Outerside

Hewitts included on this walk: Causey Pike

Date walked: 03/01/2010

Time taken: 6

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 800m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Our original plan had been to explore the High Tove Armboth Fell and Ullscarf area but due to very limited parking down to weather conditions we had to abandon and go with a hastily drawn up plan B, Barrow,Outerside and Causey Pike

We started up from the car park full of anticipation for the day ahead in perfect winter walking conditions, leaving the car park in Braithwaite we made some reasonable progress whilst on the main road until after quarter of a mile we turned up the lane headed for the foot of Barrow.From here the going was a little slower due to the build up of compacted snow and ice underfoot so we picked our way through until we started the main draw uphill,which also continued in a similar vain.As we stopped to collect our breath we were able to absorb the beautiful views over towards Skiddaw and Blencathra.

P1000435.JPG
Skiddaw and Blencathra

After some more exertion,and after being lapped for a second time by a 10yr old fell runner (no joke)we reached Barrow summit and the first opportunity to take in the full view of northern and eastern lakeland,with visibility into the tens of miles,we could see across to the North Pennines to the east and the Galloway Hills of Scotland to the North,after a brief refuel and a few photos we moved down onto to Stile end dodging kids sleighs as we went,before hacking across and upto Outerside our second Wainwright of the day for yet more photos.and a pause before our last major height gain of the day.

P1000440.JPG
Barrow summit

P1000442.JPG
Causey Pike

P1000453.JPG
Outerside temporary summit cairn,Sail & Crag Hill behind

In deep drifted snow we left Outerside and headed for Causey Pike our last summit of the day,what should have been a gentle stroll across High Moss turned into a bit more of an effort until we managed to locate some other pioneering footsteps left in someone elses wake with the same route in mind,from High Moss we struggled up toward the saddle of Scar Crags and Causey Pike unveiling the mountains surrounding Buttermere and Crummock water and some of the Central Fells as well.

P1000460.JPG
Heading up Causey from High Moss

P1000465.JPG
Summit ridge to Causey Pike

We paused briefly to linger over this view before heading along the ridge to the summit of Causey Pike where we stopped for a good twenty minutes snapping everything in sight and just enjoying the solace of the surroundings,before reluctantly turning back toward the saddle and the route back down.

P1000467.JPG
Rowling end ,Catbells and the eastern fells behind

We followed the setting sun down off the hills and into the freezing shade, throwing on extra layers as we went meandering towards Barrow door ,underneath Stile End and to the more dangerous lower slopes with all the compacted snow and ice were i then duly fell flat on my arse,luckily the rucksack played its secondary role as crash mat and only my pride was slightly dented as opposed to myself.The car park arrived with the darkness and our day was complete.

P1000478.JPG
Causey Pike from Barrow Door

Causey Pike.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by johnnyaztec on Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
johnnyaztec
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   Donalds:5
Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Causey Pike

Postby 37lumleyst » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:02 am

Enjoyed that johnyaztec; I was up that way a few weekends ago on the walk I posted Coledale Round viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2859
Its good to see your pictures compared to mine. It was dark as I walked through the village and onto Barrow, my eyes could clearly see the light across the Eastern fells but unfortunately the camera couldn’t so when I got home, most of the early morning shots were just dark and unrecognisable.

I started to get some pics from Outerside onwards but unlike yours, my walk was on the 18th December which was the first 'proper' day of snow the UK had, and it was confined to the East coast with Cumbria only getting a severe frost (-18 wind chill above 650m that day)

Great pictures and a good report; I enjoyed that :)
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Postby mountain coward » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:36 pm

I'm up in 2 weeks so I'll take the warning from your report and remember my crampons! Not often you see so much snow in the Lakes! Skiddaw looks magnificent doesn't it!
mountain coward

Postby johnnyaztec » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:44 pm

i read your report on the Coledale round you had some fantastic shots on that,the sun was well up by the time we got out so no lighting problems for us.

mountain coward wrote:I'm up in 2 weeks so I'll take the warning from your report and remember my crampons! Not often you see so much snow in the Lakes! Skiddaw looks magnificent doesn't it!

Yeah crampons are a must to have with you, although i didnt use mine for the whole walk (hence falling on arse)and lots of people not even carrying a set at all,the lower slopes as i mentioned seem the most treacherous of all the parts of the route.

I did Skiddaw on the saturday and had a whiteout on the summit,it did look a lot better on the sunday!
johnnyaztec
Mountain Walker

Postby mountain coward » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:16 pm

Skiddaw is my ideal winter walking mountain :)
mountain coward

Postby johnnyaztec » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:31 pm

mountain coward wrote:Skiddaw is my ideal winter walking mountain :)

What makes it ideal?
johnnyaztec
Mountain Walker

Postby mountain coward » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:46 pm

Well for me, as a mountain coward, no crags, smooth, non-threatening steepness, easy walking - just a big effort... so good practice.
mountain coward

Postby johnnyaztec » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:43 pm

mountain coward wrote:Well for me, as a mountain coward, no crags, smooth, non-threatening steepness, easy walking - just a big effort... so good practice.

Fair enough,bit like a gentle giant Skiddaw,we chose to do our walk on Skiddaw last saturday for that very reason.Whiteout conditions strong gusts etc.

P1000420.JPG
Approaching Skiddaw summit
johnnyaztec
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland