walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Post Gwyn and Foel Cwm Sian Llwyd

Post Gwyn and Foel Cwm Sian Llwyd

Postby andy63 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:58 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Foel Cwm Sian Llwyd, Post Gwyn

Date walked: 01/05/2013

Time taken: 6.5

Distance: 20.7 km

Ascent: 870m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

These are two of the less well known Welsh Hewitts Post Gwyn is on the south west of the Berwyn range, and Foel Cwm Sian Llwyd is a few miles further west.
I got the idea for this walk from a route posted here by malky c, but decided to avoid the steep climb up Craig Rhiwarth, and shorten the route by leaving out Cyrniau Nod.
Starting from the car park in Llangynog I followed a minor road and then a path around the right hand side of Craig Rhiwarth. There's a choice of paths up towards the top of the pass, and from there you climb over a fence and head up to the ridge to the north.
001.JPG
Craig Rhiwarth

002.JPG
Path up towards Post Gwyn

005.JPG
Post Gwyn

006.JPG
Post Gwyn summit

007.JPG
Aran ridge from Post Gwyn

Going west along the ridge from Post Gwyn there isn't a path and the going is quite awkward, so after about a mile trudging through thick heather I was very glad to come across a wooden path which leads down to the road.
008.JPG
Wooden path

Looking at the map, the ascent of Foel Cwm Sian Llwyd didn't seem too difficult, but I managed to miss the path and ended up going up the hard way. After a long slog through marshy ground and thick heather I eventually got to the summit, and was rewarded with a big panoramic view over most of North Wales.
011.JPG
Foel Cwm Sian Llwyd summit

009.JPG
Snowdon (zoomed)

012.JPG
Rhinogs (zoomed)

About half way down the mountain I finally discovered the path, so the rest of the descent was quite straightforward, and a track and then a minor road through the steep sided Cwm Rhiwarth valley led back to Llangynog.
013.JPG
Cwm Rhiwarth

I found this an enjoyable walk, although I was lucky to get dry weather and good visibility. It wouldn't be quite as nice in the rain. And you definitely need a map and compass and a good pair of boots for this one.
andy63

Munros:114   Corbetts:8
Fionas:13   Donalds:27+12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   Islands:22

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland