walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mt. LeConte - Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Mt. LeConte - Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Postby Stretch » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:17 pm

Date walked: 15/01/2010

Time taken: 7

Distance: 21 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hello gang, thought I would share a bit of home with you all. Mount LeConte, from its base to highest point, is the highest mountain in the Eastern US, and is the third highest peak in the Smokies. There is a very nice lodge on top of the mountain that offers superb views and spectacular sunrises and sunsets overlooking the national park. I have been up to the top in summer from a different trail but thought I'd give it a go in winter from a different direction. At one point this month we have had 9 straight days below freezing which is very uncommon for east Tennessee. The snow and ice on the trail slowed me down in places, but the grade of the trail was pretty gentle and I made good time to the top. At nearly the halfway point you come to Rainbow Falls which is considered the highest water drop in the park, but on this occasion it was frozen solid. The trail gets a bit tougher over the last mile or so and if you stepped off the path you became about a foot shorter. With a half mile to go you reach the intersection of the Bullhead trail which you could use for a loop back to the car. There were only a few people who ventured past the waterfall on this day which is nice considering how many tourists follow this path up in summer. Once at the lodge you can head up to one of four summit vistas, on this trip I went for the Cliff Tops (6555ft) view which overlooks the park to the south toward North Carolina. Spent about an hour at the top feeding the hungry squirrels and taking in the views of my state from above. Overall this was a fine day out with warmer temps and clear blue skies. Enjoy and come visit Tennessee if you get the chance!

The destination.jpg

First bit of trail up.jpg

Rainbow Falls.jpg

Rainbow Falls in solid form.jpg

Base of Rainbow Falls.jpg

Brrrrrrr.jpg

Behind Rainbow Falls.jpg

The path after Rainbow Falls.jpg

Still going.jpg

Pigeon Forge, TN.jpg

Loop Trail Junction.jpg

Mt. LeConte Lodge.jpg

Cabin with a fireplace.jpg

Mt LeConte Cabin.jpg

View over East Tennessee.jpg

My hungry lil friend.jpg

Smokies - Toward North Carolina.jpg

South toward Appalachian Trail.jpg

View toward Townsend, TN.jpg

Bullhead Mountain.jpg

Hungry squirrel.jpg
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Mt. LeConte - Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Postby malky_c » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:37 pm

Brilliant - more please!

Ever since reading the Bill Bryson account of walking the Appalacian Trail, I have wanted to see photos and reports from some of the adjacent areas.

cheers
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Mt. LeConte - Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:39 pm

Great to see your neck of the woods Stretch. The snow looks like the weather in Britain over the last few weeks. I love the look of the log cabin at the top.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland