walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tryfan - Glyders - YGarn

Tryfan - Glyders - YGarn

Postby Scoobica » Wed May 29, 2013 10:49 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Glyder Fach, Glyder Fawr, Tryfan, Y Garn (Glyders)

Date walked: 31/03/2013

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Following the Snowdon Horseshoe the Day before, decided to go for another Classic. Traverse the North Ridge of Tryfan, down its South, then up Briskly to Glyder Fach. Once there would take in as many tops in the Range as I could manage.

Staying at Pen Y Pass Hostel, the start point on the other side of the Glyders takes about 20 mins to get there. The appoach going north on A5, Tryfan is unmistakable.

P3310487.JPG
Tryfan from A5

Start is a bit off a slog up what in summer is a scree slope, but you can like myself move right once past the intial Milestone Buttress and scamble over all the ledges from one to another. This can get steep and technical in some sections, so once needing to give heart a rest I find my way back across left to join main route.

P3310488.JPG
Looking back after couple 100m acsent

P3310494.JPG
Bit before the Cannon

On route you will find the Famous 'Cannon' Canterlever stone.

P3310497.JPG
Looking west at the Ogwen Valley (Y Garn in background behind the Cannon)

This means let the fun begin.

P3310499.JPG
1st Step

P3310501.JPG
Looking back down on top of 1st step

P3310503.JPG
2nd Step (Sorry about missing top)

P3310504.JPG
Shot with top

P3310505.JPG
After the 2nd step you climb downwards and cross over a bit with a steep gully either side

P3310508.JPG
3rd Step

On top of the 3rd step you can see the summit with Adam and Eve the two Monoliths.

P3310509.JPG
From top of 3rd step can see the summit. Adam & Eve and the East side (left)

On the summit time to enjoy the view. Incase your wondering did not junp from Adam to Eve in crampons.

P3310511.JPG
Threesome Adam Eve and Me

Continuing down the South Ridge is not as exciting as the North. Great veiw of Briskly ahead.

P3310512.JPG
Briskly Ridge in the Centre

Guide book tells me that show follow the wall and this will lead to the gully to get on top of the Ridge. Walk across to it the snow has horrible layer of wind slab on top, which at random decides to support my weight or break and sap my energy.

P3310513.JPG
Look back at South Ridge of Tryfan

Climbing the gully is a good challenge, find myself at a few Crux's having to take time and really plan my move, clearing ice off rock face for hand holds, bridging, full axe swinging, but primarily daggering.

P3310514.JPG
Gully to start Briskly

P3310515.JPG
Looking down gully from top

Some great fun on Briskly

P3310517.JPG
Step on Briskly

P3310520.JPG
Sun over Briskly Pinnicles

Summit was all wind slabby so was exhausting to walk across. Climbed on all the sites on top of the Glyder.

P3310521.JPG
Glyder Fach Summit

View of Snowdon Horseshoe was great.

P3310524.JPG
Snowdon Horseshoe with Castle

Got tp Glyder Fawr but was not sure what feature was the summit so climbed both.

Continuing on to Y Garn the descent and reassent is much greater than the 2 previous. Once finished the descent the veiw to the Ogwen Valley opens up and is a lovely shot.

P3310560.JPG
Ogwen Valley and all summits thus far

Hike to the summit the snow cover is much less than everwhere else so hard on the ankles. On the summit decide not to push on for another summit.

P3310556.JPG
Summit Pic on Y Garn (Note in the shadow had cut ice blocks and constructed a tower to hold the camera for the shot)

Headed down the main route and finally take my crampons off at the footbridge by Llyn Idwal.

P3310569.JPG
Y Garn

Wallking long the road decide need to get a shot across the Llyn Ogwen.

P3310584.JPG
Tryfan across Lake

On review love this route would recommend strongly, but would advise on the Technical Sections, Briskley Ridge is more challenging the North and South Ridge of Tryfan. So if you find Tryfan on the boundary of your comfort level would take path to the left of the ridge to summit Glyder Fach. Main reason i say this is the Gully Climb at the start, the rest is similar but more exposed.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Scoobica
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:100
Wainwrights:37   

Re: Tryfan - Glyders - YGarn

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu May 30, 2013 8:24 pm

Amazing pics, I was just up there on Sunday, great to see it all covered in snow
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby houdi » Thu May 30, 2013 8:30 pm

One of my all time favourite routes. Done it literally dozens of times but never in the snow. Looks absolutely stunning. I take it you didn't risk jumping across Adam & Eve? :lol:
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby Ibex » Fri May 31, 2013 2:52 am

Wow, can't believe the snow cover.
Fantastic photo's. Looks like a real adventure.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland