walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Faching Hell it’s Ed Byrne!

Faching Hell it’s Ed Byrne!

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:59 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Glyder Fach, Glyder Fawr, Y Garn (Glyders)

Date walked: 26/05/2013

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 1020m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When we visited Snowdonia last year the weather was poor, so poor in fact it felt as if we barely scratched the surface. One of our few decent days was on the Saturday when we were due home and we took advantage by walking up the Devils Kitchen to Llyn y cwn. This walk gave us a hint of just how fantastic the Glyders were but our limited time meant we could go no further.
With a perfect forecast for the Sunday we decided to take full advantage on the first day of our holiday and drove to Ogwen Cottage to explore this range properly. We set off up the well-made path to Llyn Idwal but this time we crossed the bridge and headed for the ridge up Y Garn.

Llyn Idwal by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

This route up Y Garn is my idea of hill walking heaven with amazing views improving with height as you ascend this well-defined route. The going under foot is good almost all the way to the summit with only a little scree to contend with. If the views on the way up are great the views from this top are truly wonderful. The alternative name for this mountain, The Eminence is certainly well deserved.

Pen yr ole wen by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Llyn Idwal and Tryfan by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Acsending Y Garn by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Over Snowdon's Llanberris ridge by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Y Garn summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Grace on Y Garn by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

We had a bite to eat before making our way down easy slopes to Llyn y cwn. You could descend the Devils kitchen if you wanted to at this stage but as we had loads of time and a great forecast we continued up the scree path to Glyder Fawr.
This path was nowhere near as bad as we expected and we made steady progress up to the moonscape summit plateau of Glyder Fawr. We spent some time admiring the stunning rock architecture that in my experience is quite unique. The other half of our lunch was enjoyed with the stunning view spread before us.
Looming to the North East was the impressive looking summit of Glyder Fach, guarded by the Castell y Gwynt (castle of the winds).

Looking back to Y Garn by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Glyder Fawr by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Glyder Fach from Glyder Fwar by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Shattered rock by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Grace on Glyder Fawr by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Tad scrambling on Glyder Fawr by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Crown of Thorns by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Glyder Fawr summit view by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr (click for large version)

The route across Bwlch y Ddwd –Glyder was very straightforward with more jaw dropping views before we came up against the the Castell y Gwynt. A quick look confirmed suspicions that we would be going around and not over this impressive obstacle. The relatively easy going up to this point came to a halt as we set about the absorbing task of clambering over the huge boulders on our way to the polished summit plinth.

Aproaching the castle of the winds by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Australia lake by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Cwm Idwal by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

If Glyder Fawr had been unique then Glyder Fach was in another league again. Just what forces left this summit in this incredible state boggle the mind. The summit takes the shape of a huge cairn constructed by giants. If the human contingent thoroughly enjoyed this amazing natural playground the canine among us hated every moment of it and the poor little thing wore the expression of being totally traumatized by the whole experience.
Next up was the Cantilever Stone. Turned out this was fun but not really scary at all. We all got the obligatory photo (saving Hughie more trauma by allowing him to stay put on terra firma).

On the summit of Glyder Fach by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Glder Fach summit view by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr (click for large version)

Cantilever trio by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

We certainly didn’t want to attempt scrambling down the Bristly ridge (I strongly suspect it would be way beyond our abilities) and not knowing much about the bypass path we elected to take the long way around.
On our descent to the col we came face to face with the familiar figure of TV comic and celeb hill walker Ed Byrne. Both myself and Nicola considered saying something along the lines of, “you’re that Ed Byrne bloke of the TV”, but decided to leave the man alone and a quick “all right there!” sufficed.

Tryfan by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Evening Light on Tryfan by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Bristly Ridge by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Heading home by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

This descent route awarded us with some wonderful views of the mighty Tryfan and took us across some wonderful wild country but it was rough most of the way down and extended a long day even further. In the end the day was a bit of an epic but totally unforgettable. I would say that in my experience only the Cuillin is a more jaw dropping place than these mountains and anybody who loves hill walking should make visiting the Glyders a priority if you haven’t yet done so.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Faching Hell it’s Ed Byrne!

Postby Ibex » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:25 pm

Ed Byrne, as in the Irish comic?

I must say that theses photo's are some of your best. Absolutely stunning!

I'm so jelous of all the walking you get to do. Nice that its as a family too.
Any chance you want to adopt a 31 year old? :lol:

If Grace keeps going at this rate, she'll be soloing the north face of the Eiger by the time shes 16. :lol:
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:41 am

Ibex wrote:Ed Byrne, as in the Irish comic?

The very same, quite strange when you meet somebody you know but don't know if you get my meaning

Ibex wrote:I must say that theses photo's are some of your best. Absolutely stunning!

It's easy in a place this beautiful as that. :D

Ibex wrote:I'm so jelous of all the walking you get to do. Nice that its as a family too.
Any chance you want to adopt a 31 year old? :lol:

Do you eat much?

Ibex wrote:If Grace keeps going at this rate, she'll be soloing the north face of the Eiger by the time shes 16. :lol:

She has some grand ambitions but I'm not sure they go that far :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby charliebloke1 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:14 am

anybody who loves hill walking should make visiting the Glyders a priority if you haven’t yet done so.

My wife and I were only discussing a change of scene for another long weekend on our drive back from the Lakes yesterday. . First report I come too and that's it i'm sold.. . . .Wales & first stop the Glyders it is then . . . :D

Jaw dropping set of photographs as usual. :clap:
charliebloke1
Mountaineer

Munros:11   
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:38
Wainwrights:115   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:34 am

charliebloke1 wrote:
anybody who loves hill walking should make visiting the Glyders a priority if you haven’t yet done so.

My wife and I were only discussing a change of scene for another long weekend on our drive back from the Lakes yesterday. . First report I come too and that's it i'm sold.. . . .Wales & first stop the Glyders it is then . . . :D

Jaw dropping set of photographs as usual. :clap:

You'll not regret it but pick a good day, I can imagine the summit plateau being a very confusing place in the mist with all those rocky towers looming up here and there. I can't believe you haven't been to Snowdonia before considering it's probably closer than the Lakes to your location.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby charliebloke1 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:14 pm

I can't believe you haven't been to Snowdonia before considering it's probably closer than the Lakes to your location.

It does seem daft now I think about it & only made worse by the fact i'm also half Welsh :oops: .

It all stems from one shocking holiday there about 20 years ago (boy can I bare a grudge! :problem: ). I can't remember the name of the place we stayed but I just refer back to it now as "The Slaughtered Lamb" (American Werewolf.) . . . . No full moon shenanigans but the locals were, lets just say, not exactly hospitable to "out-of-towners" from that there Englandshire.

Foolishly the experience has festered in my mind ever since . . . . until now :D
charliebloke1
Mountaineer

Munros:11   
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:38
Wainwrights:115   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:01 pm

charliebloke1 wrote:
I can't believe you haven't been to Snowdonia before considering it's probably closer than the Lakes to your location.

It does seem daft now I think about it & only made worse by the fact i'm also half Welsh :oops: .

It all stems from one shocking holiday there about 20 years ago (boy can I bare a grudge! :problem: ). I can't remember the name of the place we stayed but I just refer back to it now as "The Slaughtered Lamb" (American Werewolf.) . . . . No full moon shenanigans but the locals were, lets just say, not exactly hospitable to "out-of-towners" from that there Englandshire.

Foolishly the experience has festered in my mind ever since . . . . until now :D

I have heard quite a few stories of English folk getting less than a warm welcome in the valleys. We've been the last two years and haven't encountered any problems whatsoever. I went when I was just a nipper and my dad still speaks with bitterness about people having the temerity to speak Welsh in his presence :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Ibex » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:28 pm

Your right about the place, it is a very 'photogenic' area.
When I climbed Tryfan a year or so ago, I couldn't stop looking at Y Garn. Really lovely views up there! I took a few photo's up there, but none of them are near as good as yours.

Unfortunately I eat like a bear, so maybe you wouldn't want to adopt me. :lol:

Out of interest, what does Grace have as ambitions?
I remember at the age of 8, walking in the Lakes with my Dad. I loved it so much I wanted to go back and climb all the hills I could see.
At that time I only knew about the ones surrounding Ullswater and knew noting of Mr A Wainwright.
A few years later, after a few more trips to the Lakes, I read about Everest. Became a bit of an obsession for the 10 year old me.
Its such a shame I didn't keep up with going to the mountains, throughout my teenage years. Now i'm trying to make up for lost time.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby L-Hiking » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:22 pm

Another cracker! Some great photos too. Not been down that way yet but your reports and pics make it an obvious choice

Cheers
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:53 pm

Wow, what a wonderful day! Breathtaking photos :thumbup: I hope your luck continued with the weather :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:02 pm

Ibex wrote:Your right about the place, it is a very 'photogenic' area.
When I climbed Tryfan a year or so ago, I couldn't stop looking at Y Garn. Really lovely views up there! I took a few photo's up there, but none of them are near as good as yours.

Unfortunately I eat like a bear, so maybe you wouldn't want to adopt me. :lol:

Out of interest, what does Grace have as ambitions?
I remember at the age of 8, walking in the Lakes with my Dad. I loved it so much I wanted to go back and climb all the hills I could see.
At that time I only knew about the ones surrounding Ullswater and knew noting of Mr A Wainwright.
A few years later, after a few more trips to the Lakes, I read about Everest. Became a bit of an obsession for the 10 year old me.
Its such a shame I didn't keep up with going to the mountains, throughout my teenage years. Now i'm trying to make up for lost time.

We hope to complete the Wainwrights as a family in the next three years or so, as for Grace it's more a case of when we pass something like the Bristly ridge and I tell her it's a bit hard for us, she always claims she'll be back to do it as an adult. In reality I suspect she'll follow a similar path to yourself and many other kids who get dragged (not really the right word but you know what I mean) around the hills and pack it in as a teenager but return as an adult. As for your lost time how about me? I hadn't climbed a single hill until Ben Vrackie at the age of 35! Getting to the hills is about where you are in your life at a particular time. My Dad would never consider climbing a hill so as a kid I didn't, It wasn't till we felt Grace was old enough that we moved on from taking photos from the road side to actually getting out there.

L-Hiking wrote:Another cracker! Some great photos too. Not been down that way yet but your reports and pics make it an obvious choice

Cheers

Thanks Geoff, can't recommend it highly enough.

SusieThePensioner wrote:Wow, what a wonderful day! Breathtaking photos :thumbup: I hope your luck continued with the weather :lol:

Thanks Susie, unfortunately the weather was a bit hit and miss but we certainly made the most of it and seemed to strike quite lucky just about every day.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Ibex » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:43 pm

Don't fancy any scrambling at all?
I suppose it would be difficult with Hughie. Though I have seen smaller dogs and people a lot older than yourselves scrambling along Striding Edge.
I think so far i've seen a few in their mid 80's. including one old fella on top of Scafell Pike, with calf muscles that were enormous knots of muscle.

Unfortunately me and my Dad got up to the Lakes around once every two years. He was always away with work and very busy all the time.
I think we only did around 6 or 7 trips together, but loved all of them. Wish I had been more times with him.
The last time we went was after he was getting over his throat cancer. We went up Great Gable and Helvellyn in the snow.
It was a nice little few days of walking. Since then he has gone off to live in America, so I now walk alone.
Just being in the mountains seems to relax me. Everything about it. The scenery, the smell and the lack of people. Like Wainwright said 'everyone that truly loves Lakeland is an exhile whilst away from it'.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:04 pm

Ibex wrote:Don't fancy any scrambling at all?
I suppose it would be difficult with Hughie. Though I have seen smaller dogs and people a lot older than yourselves scrambling along Striding Edge.
I think so far i've seen a few in their mid 80's. including one old fella on top of Scafell Pike, with calf muscles that were enormous knots of muscle.

Unfortunately me and my Dad got up to the Lakes around once every two years. He was always away with work and very busy all the time.
I think we only did around 6 or 7 trips together, but loved all of them. Wish I had been more times with him.
The last time we went was after he was getting over his throat cancer. We went up Great Gable and Helvellyn in the snow.
It was a nice little few days of walking. Since then he has gone off to live in America, so I now walk alone.
Just being in the mountains seems to relax me. Everything about it. The scenery, the smell and the lack of people. Like Wainwright said 'everyone that truly loves Lakeland is an exhile whilst away from it'.

We all like a bit of scrambling and Grace loves it but you've got to know your limits. We haven't done Striding edge but I'm sure we'd be fine with it. Sharp Edge on the other hand I've little urge to do at all. Even if I was by myself double exposure and polished rock just doesn't appeal. Anything of any real technical difficulty however I don't trust myself let alone taking care of Grace as well. One mans Everest is another mans Cat bells.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Phooooey » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:38 pm

Great report and some fabulous photos ! I'll have to plan next years cottage holiday in this area.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111

Postby Ibex » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:46 pm

Oh yeah, I totaly agree that people should do what they are comfortable with.
No point in overdoing it. I found Sharp Edge was no more difficult that Striding Edge though. But we did do it going down, not up.

I really enjoyed scrambling when young. Feels so exciting and almost dangerous. I remember doing Striding Edge for the first time. Certainly was an eye opener, but I loved it. Plus it made that feeling of getting to the summit so much more satisfying.
So I guess I can see why Grace enjoys it so much. I've taken mine a little further now, by going on to learning how to climb with ropes. Not done it in the mountains yet though.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland