walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mellbreak

Mellbreak

Postby made in Scotland » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:18 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Mellbreak

Date walked: 08/06/2013

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Drove from Carlisle to Cockermouth and then down to Loweswater area and parked near to the red phone box before walking down past the church and along the front of the Kirkstile Inn to get onto the path for Mellbreak. Beautiful hot sunny day at last and didn't seem that busy. (Considered the National Trust car park but at £6.20 for the day I'm glad I had a look further on first before parting with my money!)

View of Mellbreak from the start of the path just past Kirkstile Inn.
Mellbreak Lorna's June 13 001.JPG

We walked up the Mosedale valley following the beck until we could see the Mosedale holly tree which is marked on the OS map - quite unique for a tree - but it's a handy marker.
Mellbreak Lorna's June 13 004.JPG

Opposite is Hen Comb - we thought about going up here after Mellbreak but opted instead to walk back along Crummock Water as it was such a hot day.
Mellbreak Lorna's June 13 005.JPG

We took the path straight up Mellbreak, quite steep but not long and were soon in the dip between the two tops of Mellbreak. Short walk first across to the lower top which has a nice view down to Loweswater and on a clear day Scotland - bit of a heat haze today though.
Mellbreak Lorna's June 13 010.JPG

View across to Grasmoor.
Mellbreak Lorna's June 13 006.JPG

And down towards Rannerdale Knotts and Crummock Water with Fleetwith Pike at the end of Buttermere.
Mellbreak Lorna's June 13 016.JPG

Crummock Water and Buttermere.
Mellbreak Lorna's June 13 023.JPG

Mellbreak Lorna's June 13 025.JPG

The second, and higher of the two tops.
Mellbreak Lorna's June 13 030.JPG

Looking up Crummock Water towards Buttermere.
Mellbreak Lorna's June 13 031.JPG

And looking the other way towards Grasmoor.
Mellbreak Lorna's June 13 038.JPG

Rannerdale Knotts opposite Mellbreak. We decided to walk down to Crummock Water and follow the lakeside path back to Loweswater.
Mellbreak Lorna's June 13 050.JPG

Down at the water.
Mellbreak Lorna's June 13 057.JPG

Mellbreak sloping down to Crummock Water - quite tempted to go for a paddle but wouldn't have wanted to put the boots back on!
Mellbreak Lorna's June 13 060.JPG

Followed the shoreline back to Loweswater and took a final look back at Mellbreak as we headed for a pint in the Kirkstile Inn. Nice beer garden and nice selection of their own beers too.
Mellbreak Lorna's June 13 064.JPG
made in Scotland
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:80
Wainwrights:140   

Re: Mellbreak

Postby Phooooey » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:37 pm

Great photos and report. Plan on doing this in next few weeks to complete my last 7 Wainwrights. Hope I get the same weather !! 8)
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland