walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ennerdale Circular Day One: Ennerdale Bridge to Honister

Ennerdale Circular Day One: Ennerdale Bridge to Honister

Postby staton75 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:52 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Fleetwith Pike, Great Borne, Haystacks, High Crag, High Stile, Red Pike (Buttermere), Starling Dodd

Hewitts included on this walk: Fleetwith Pike, Great Borne, High Crag, High Stile, Red Pike (Buttermere), Starling Dodd

Date walked: 20/04/2013

Time taken: 7

Distance: 20.4 km

Ascent: 1638m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Arriving at Bleach Green Cottages car park at Ennerdale Bridge at 10:15am on Day One of my Ennerdale challenge the sky was blue and the sun was shining. Unusual in my experiences in the Lakes. However, perfect weather to enjoy the ridge from Great Borne to Haystacks and the eventual end point at Honister YH. The forecast was for gloriousness on Saturday and grimness the day after. Very accurate as it turned out.

I left the car for the night with the steering lock on and the hope that any potential car thieves would take one look in my messy fiesta and think "nah".

A short walk along the track to the weir revealed Ennerdale Water with numerous hills and mountains in the distance. Originally we were going to overnight the car at Bowness car park but decided to take 2 miles off the Sunday and add it to Saturday's walk to balance them out.

P4200188.jpgRESIZE.jpg
Ennerdale Water from the lakeside path

The path along the lake is about 2 miles to Bowness and a pleasant warm up for the steep climb up Rake Beck. We passed through gorse in bloom framing Herdus ahead to the north and Crag Fell impressively to the south. From the foot of Bowness Knott we followed the road for 0.5km and when the road bore left turned right off it over a stile. There is an obvious path (not marked on OS) uphill between the tree line and Rake Beck. It's worth a short diversion up Bowness Knott here, especially if you're bagging Birketts, for the view back over Ennerdale Water. There's no definite exit on to Bowness Knott so we hopped over the fence at a low point shortly before Brown How. Initially the path is not obvious but it soon becomes apparent as you make your way towards the summit. There are only stumps left of the plantation on Bowness Knott so we straight lined it back towards Brown How (another Birkett).

P4200191.jpgRESIZE.jpg
Herdus up ahead
P4200193.jpgRESIZE.jpg
Crag Fell. I didn't see this on Sunday!
P4200194.jpgRESIZE.jpg
Path between Rake Beck and Bowness Knott
P4200197.jpgRESIZE.jpg
Ennerdale Water from Bowness Knott

A well-preserved grouse butt or fox trap, a good 5 feet deep, is at the foot of the ascent.

P4200202.jpgRESIZE.jpg
Grouse butt or Fox trap just before the main ascent

The next 20 minutes were spent pulling up alongside Rake Beck. Decent path although sliding away a bit in places. A small but sheer waterfall is about two thirds of the way up (unmarked). The breeze sent a lot of spray back in my face as I peered over.

P4200206.jpgRESIZE.jpg
Waterfall on Rake Beck with Brown How, Bowness Knott & Crag Fell in distance

At the top we turned left towards Herdus (Birkett), another worthwhile minor diversion. From the summit cairn great views towards Ennerdale. Now the ridge walk began in earnest. Wainwrights beckoned ahead. First up was Great Borne with its distinctive rocky plateau, trig point and shelter. Great views of Mellbreak, Hen Comb and Blake Fell. Ploughing on to Starling Dodd next feeling exceptionally fit, powering up the ups and trotting down the downs despite dodgy knee. That was the least of my problems, however, as my newish Berghaus' boots produced a rubbing sensation on my right heel. Bit of a disaster as, like a muppet, I'd forgotten the first aid kit and blister plasters. It doesn't matter that I hadn't had a blister in 8 years and the previous identical pair of boots had felt like slippers, it was incredibly daft and I now had a day and a half of hard walking to pay for it. I was able to cadge some padding and tape off some fellow walkers (they had no compede either!) but it didn't help much. The descents were fine but the rub on the blister on the ascents were painful plus.

P4200219.jpgRESIZE.jpg
View from Starling Dodd looking across to Pillar

Anyway, the weather was beautiful and I could see everything as Wainwrights came rapidly at regular intervals - Red Pike, High Stile, High Crag. Across Buttermere valley Robinson, Hinscarth and Dale Head to the north were in the sun while Pillar was ominously shrouded in shadow to the south.

P4200226.jpgRESIZE.jpg
Lingcomb Edge from Red Pike with Mellbeak and Crummock Water
P4200233.jpgRESIZE.jpg
Pillar still with some snow in its gullies

I tackled the steep descent down High Crag by running it rather than walking. It still hurt. These days I prefer steep ascents to steep descents but looking back up High Crag it looked demoralising. A runner on the way up concurred.

P4200239.jpgRESIZE.jpg
Bring on the pain! Down High Crag we go. Seat and Haystacks yonder

Haystacks followed Seat. I'd never been up it before and it was a particularly fun little hill. Craggy and scrambley you can literally make almost any way up it. I went for a short scramble that looked easier from the bottom than the middle.

P4200245.jpgRESIZE.jpg
From Haystacks to Great Gable and Kirk Fell. Shame I didn't get this view next day

Not far from Honister now but first I had to climb Fleetwith Pike. The previous summer I had tried and miserably failed to find the summit in thick cloud and heavy rain and wind. However, today it stood high and proud at the head of the valley. From Dubs Quarry go left and around the back of it on to a vague bridleway. This curves in the direction of Honister but I took a path off to the left which goes more or less straight up to the summit of Fleetwith Pike. As you would expect the view down the valley is impressive. Relieved that I had no more heel-rubbing ascent to do I could relax as I wandered along to Honister Crag (Nuthall) and then down along the quarry track to the hostel. The following day I'd be returning to the car via Great Gable, Kirk Fell, Pillar and the rest.

P4200249.jpgRESIZE.jpg
Buttermere and Crummock Water from Fleetwith Pike

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

staton75
Mountaineer

Munros:11   Corbetts:2
Donalds:4
Hewitts:295
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland