walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mellbreak & Hen Comb

Mellbreak & Hen Comb

Postby Phooooey » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:54 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Hen Comb, Mellbreak

Date walked: 16/06/2013

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 11.2 km

Ascent: 930m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Kirkstile Inn - Mellbreak - Hen Comb - Kirkstile Inn

New_Route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A Sunday excursion this week as Saturdays wind was up around the 40mph mark. Today was far calmer and the sun made constant attempts to keep things on the warm side.

With John and his missus in Patterdale enjoying their anniversary, Bex, Damson & I headed round the west coast and round the shores of Loweswater to the Kirkstile Inn.
We parked up just below the pub and headed out to the foot of the daunting Mellbreak's black nose.

One of the reasons this fell was later on my list was due to the fact it looked impossible to get up on previous excursions into the area, however other reports on this website told us it was steep but comparatively easy.

Approaching Mellbreak
Ascent on left - Descent from right

So, up the scree paths we went taking the many zig zags and stopping for regular photo breaks and to calm Bex's nerves (she didn't feel too sure footed on some of the steeper sections).

The views back to Lorton & Loweswater got better as we climbed.

Lorton panorama from Mellbreak Flanks

The path took us over the nose to the western flanks and a grassy run overlooking the opening views of Crummock Water and then up the heather strewn upper slopes to the summit cairn. Steep drops in all directions required sure footing before it flattened off into a broad flat top.

Crummock Water from Mellbreak
Heading up final slopes of Mellbreak
Bex on higher slopes of Mellbreak

On the northern summit we joined a young family with a young chap of about 4 doing his 3rd Wainwright :clap: and his even younger sister on her first :clap: .
A few more piccies were grabbed before heading down slightly and across to the southern top overlooking Buttermere and Fleetwith Pike.

Damson, Bex & I on Mellbreak (Northern summit)
Southern top of Mellbreak from Northern summit
Bex & Damson on Mellbreak (Southern summit)
Grasmoor from Mellbreak

Our descent took us over the top of the southern summit and about half way down the path to Scale Force before we headed right and then a huge snake path keeping to the main footpaths and bridleways to avoid the bogs across the expanse of marshland and bridge over Mosedale Beck to the foot of Hen Comb below Thrang Crags.

As we made our way there we spotted a clear diagonal path heading from the top of the crags across to the right hand col of Hen Comb which we climbed up to on a steep direct path up the grassy banks. Half way up we grabbed a drink and a quick bite to eat before the final push to the summit.

Grabbing a bite on Hen Comb ascent
Bex on Hen Comb
Damson on Hen Comb
Bex at Hen Comb summit
Damson and I complete 209th Wainwright

We came back down the northern spine on Hen Comb over Little Dodd before dropping right to pick up the Mosedale Beck path and our route back to the car.

Returning to car from Hen Comb (Scree path up Mellbreak seen on right)
Looking back at Mellbreak

A couple of pints of shandy at the Kirkstile Inn, sat in the sun in the beer garden finished the walk off nicely.
All the grandeur of the walk was in the first hour on the face of Mellbreak however the walk was enjoyable and the weather and company was great. :D :D
Last edited by Phooooey on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Mellbreak & Hen Comb

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:37 am

Craig, I'm assuming words and photos will appear at sometime...........waiting in anticipation!! :lol: :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Phooooey » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:10 pm

Hi Susie,
Taken a while for me to get this up and running this week. Now posted words and photos. I have another to do now too - Great Calva completed on Wednesday 19th.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:04 pm

Well, it was worth waiting for :lol: I enjoyed your report, Craig.
Looks as though you had a good day and some lovely views :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:57 pm

Some cracking pics as always Phooooey, two more we've still to do, Mellbreak looks a fine hill.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby colgregg » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:48 pm

Good report and pics. I did Hen Comb today on the way back from Red Pike, Starling Dodd and Gt Borne, It's a good summit. Was going to add Mellbreak but looked up at it from Mosedale back and thought.. Nah... I'll save it for an afternoon on a camping trip.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:06 pm

What a way to spend a sunny Sunday Phooooey, beautiful shots of a fine hike though Damson doesn't look too impressed with this one :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland