walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Force on High teases us in Teesdale with sun, sun, sun!

A Force on High teases us in Teesdale with sun, sun, sun!

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:15 pm

Date walked: 06/07/2013

Time taken: 2

Distance: 1.1 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather forecast was looking good; very good in fact and so we decided to go to Teesdale and walk to High Force. Jeff and I last visited there about 20 years ago when we were both young(ish) :lol: Anyway, with temperatures in the mid twenties (oh yes) and not a cloud in the sky we headed over to Teesdale via Weardale (Frosterley) along with many other people making the most of this summer bonus :D Parking cost us £2 and a further £1 each (as we're over 60 :lol: :lol: :lol: ) to visit the waterfall via the Woodland Walk.

There is an excellent gravel path that is sloping to start off but, does have well placed benches situated along the walk as well as several interpretation boards.
wh1.jpg

Having read the comment that wheelchair users may need assistance from a "strong and able pusher" I decided to use my sticks instead :roll: The path seemed to slope down for quite a distance and the gravel, at times, wasn't the easiest to walk on as my sticks kept skidding :o Anyway, I was very pleased to see all the benches and made a note as to where they were for the return route.

The first part of the woodland walk went past a number of tree stumps that were as a result of a storm in 1992 but, it did mean you had views of the countryside the other side of the river. We've walked many times from Low Force, along by the River Tees, and above High Force onto the moorland beyond on a circular route so it was nice to be reminded of this :D
wh4.jpg

The path dropped down into the wood and it was beautiful with the dappled light of the sun shining through the trees. We walked over a bridge that had a stream running under it and then started climbing gently up.
wh5.jpg

wh6.jpg

Even though we were shaded by the trees, my hands kept slipping on the handles of the sticks as I was quite hot from the effort and was beginning to wonder how much further we had to go. Still, I kept telling myself it was good aerobic excercise and tried not to be tempted to sit down quite yet :lol:
wh7.jpg

By now we could see the river below us and hear the distant roar of the waterfall.
wh8.jpg

However, there were still more ups and downs to the path before reaching our goal.
wh9.jpg

Eventually, at last, the waterfall was in front of us :thumbup: Pity about the big flight of steps that took you down to the rocks and water :shock: Nevertheless, I hadn't walked all that distance not to be able to get the photos I wanted of High Force and so, down those steps I went. I have short legs and those steps weren't designed with people like me in mind but, my daughters don't call me stubborn for nothing :lol: :lol:
Some people also think I'm pretty impatient as well :wink: But, I was determined and I patiently took my time getting to the bottom of the steps :D I took lots of photos on different settings and have included some.
wh92.jpg

The waterfall itself consists of three different types of rock. The upper band is made up of whinstone, or dolerite, a hard igneous rock which the waterfall takes a lot of time to erode. The lower section is made up of Carboniferous Limestone, a softer rock which is more easily worn away by the waterfall. Between these two layers is a thinner layer of Carboniferous sandstone, which was baked hard when the Whin Sill was molten 295 million years ago. The wearing away of rock means that the waterfall is slowly moving upstream, leaving a narrow, deep gorge in front of it. The length of the gorge is currently about 700 metres.
wh97.jpg

wh96.jpg

wh95.jpg

wh94.jpg

After climbing back up the steps I felt knackered and it seemed a really long distance to walk for the first of many benches that I sat on :roll: It was even hotter and, when we eventually reached the car park, it was straight into the shop for an ice cream :D The temperature by then was 25deg but thank goodness for the breeze!
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Re: A Force on High teases us in Teesdale with sun, sun, sun

Postby Ibex » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:33 pm

Nice to see you getting out and about.
Some fantastic photos too. The waterfall ones are stunning!

I can't imagine having the hills taken away from me, so i'm very pleased for you that you have managed to get out and walk a bit again.
If anything, it must allow you to get different perspectives on your subject matter for your photos.

I hope you really enjoyed being out there and had a great day!
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mrssanta » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:30 am

Good on you, Susie. It's a brilliant place
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby MarilynMunro » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:35 am

Impatient, determined, persistent..............rewarded
Brilliant set of photos,keep 'em coming :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: .
Hope the walk didn't take to much out of you, but I think its awful that they charge "old folks" an additional £1 to go for a walk :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pretty sure the reward would have been more than a ice cream. :wink:
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby morag1 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:35 am

Always good to come online and see a report from you Susie, only problem is there's not enough of them!!
Lovely photos especially the sunlight through the trees :clap:

Sounds like quite an effort, I'm sure many folk would have given up but not our Susie, one determined lady :clap:

Yes, I also think your reward should have been more than an ice cream :?
morag1

Postby jonny616 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:03 am

Great to see you are out and about. Love the pics.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:15 am

Lovely pics of a special place Susie, particularly like the first High Force shot. Great to see you battle away to get down there, can't have been easy.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:08 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Lovely pics of a special place Susie, particularly like the first High Force shot. Great to see you battle away to get down there, can't have been easy.
Thank you Anthony :D It did seem longer than I thought and getting back up the steps was a big effort :roll:

jonny616 wrote:Great to see you are out and about. Love the pics.
Thanks Jonny :D

morag1 wrote:Always good to come online and see a report from you Susie, only problem is there's not enough of them!! Lovely photos especially the sunlight through the trees

Thank you Morag :D As well as the ice cream, the reward was achievement at getting to my goal and, a beautiful day with fantastic views of the North Pennines :thumbup:

MarilynMunro wrote:Impatient, determined, persistent..............rewarded
:lol: :lol:
MarilynMunro wrote:Brilliant set of photos
Thanks Jim :D
MarilynMunro wrote:I think its awful that they charge "old folks" an additional £1 to go for a walk
They charge "younger people" £1.50 :shock:
I'm suffering a bit today but, it's also very humid and that plays havoc with the arthritis as well :(

mrssanta wrote:Good on you, Susie. It's a brilliant place

Thank you mrs s :D

Ibex wrote:Some fantastic photos too. The waterfall ones are stunning!

Thanks Tom. I was relieved to get down the steps so I could get some decent shots and it was a really beautiful day :D
SusieThePensioner

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:41 pm

Super Susan once again,really glad you are still able to see views like this and also to share.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:27 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Super Susan once again,really glad you are still able to see views like this and also to share.
Thank you Willie :D
SusieThePensioner

Postby colgregg » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Nice one Susie. High Force is always a favourite.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181

Postby L-Hiking » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:08 am

Well done Susie, absolutely a great effort, you are an inspiration to all of us :clap:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:16 pm

colgregg wrote:Nice one Susie. High Force is always a favourite
Thanks, Colin :D

L-Hiking wrote:Well done Susie, absolutely a great effort, you are an inspiration to all of us

Thank you, Geoff :D I suffered on Sunday; seemed to have pulled my right shoulder, probably trying to get back up all the steps :roll:
SusieThePensioner

Postby DaveB1 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:57 pm

Great pics Susie you had the weather too! Perseverance is always rewarded eventually :lol: :lol: Dave
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:59 pm

DaveB1 wrote:Great pics Susie you had the weather too! Perseverance is always rewarded eventually Dave
Thanks Dave :D Are you sitting with your feet up now? :lol:
SusieThePensioner

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland