walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Plynlimon, Pen Pumlumon Arwystli still waiting!

Plynlimon, Pen Pumlumon Arwystli still waiting!

Postby willywalker247 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:27 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Plynlimon (Pumlumon Fawr)

Date walked: 06/07/2013

Time taken: 3

Distance: 6.83 km

Ascent: 361m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Well here I am again parked in the car park (Fee £3 a day) at Eisteddfa Gurig hoping to bag Pen Pumlumon Arwystli Having tried a couple of times last year. Checked the weather forecast Friday afternoon before driving up all looking good. Lindsay and I set out at 9;30 am, sure the early morning mist would burn off as the day went on.
012.JPG
As we made our way along the track I kept looking skyward looking for some blue sky, Still living in hope we continued onward and upwards. the sky started to open up.
013.JPG
014.JPG
Old mine workings
Happy days :D as we neared the old mine workings the sun came out with a great view of Pen Lluest-y-carn. Thinking the day is going our way we look at each other and smiled :D and continue on. Those of you who have climbed Plynlimon will know as you near the the summit on this route you have a few small cairns to help you on your way. Well the cloud rolled in and the sun was gone :( the visibility had reduced dramatically. I said to Lindsay as we were close to the summit we would follow the cairns one at a time, so on we went. At one point we could not see the next cairn so we waited a few moments for it to appear as it did we continued on. I don't blame for thinking what is "Willy doing" I knew were I was pretty much and continued on . We finally reached the summit.
021.JPG
019.JPG
018.JPG
The view.
As we sat there for half an hour hoping the sky would clear having a coffee I said to Lindsay this is as far as we go today. So it`s a couple of photos and back down to the car park with Pen Pumlumon Arwystli still waiting for me.
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Plynlimon, Pen Pumlumon Arwystli still waiting!

Postby john923 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:05 pm

Amazing - the rest of the country is baking in the sunshine and you pick the only hill with clag! :lol: Better luck next time.
john923

Munros:16   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:187   Islands:5

Re: Plynlimon, Pen Pumlumon Arwystli still waiting!

Postby willywalker247 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:38 pm

Thanks John I will try again sometime in August. :)
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland