walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

BLENCATHRA via sharp edge

BLENCATHRA via sharp edge

Postby blueyed » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:00 am

Date walked: 07/07/2013

Time taken: 6

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

very spontaneous trip to lake district.
I really wanted to go up north to cairngorms (lochnagar, yummyyyy) but as the weather was same fantastic in both areas, we chose my partner's idea and drove south to Keswick. it was less than 2.5hrs drive, our first time in lake district and we had 1.5 day to enjoy.
we were busy, I can assure you, we arrived to Keswick about 5pm and still managed to see on the same day: prehistoric ring of stones in castlerigg, climb catbell, have a wee wonder in Keswick and have a bbq!
for sunday we planned something more serious, actually the most serious mountain in the area - blencathra via sharp edge (sharp edge meaning a sharp narrow ridge and almost vertical climb later on)

and this is where the story begins.

first of all I have to mention that we didn't have a proper map, just cicerone guide to lake district, which by the way was ok, but will never be the same as handling a proper ordnance survey map, which I missed very much. maybe I am old fashioned but ordnance survey maps ruleeeeee! (but we didn't have one as the trip was truly spontaneous!)

anyway, the guide suggested to make a circular walk starting in mungrisdale, up bowscale fell, blencathra, then way back via souther fell. they said it was a route for 6.5hrs... yeah maybe for a hill runner, we would need additional 1.5 to 2hrs to complete.

the thing was that we could not find the beginning of this route therefore decided to make it the opposite direction and start via souther fell. here we struggled to find a path too. now we know where we should have started: past mill inn and just after the first gate turn right along the fence. yes, there is a path apparently, which goes up along the fence and then 'comes back' towards the village and finally climbs up along the ridge of souther fell.

we didn't bother, decided to walk along the cycle path and start our ascent near scales (from mungrisdale ~1 hr walk)

path up starts along the fence at the car park, goes up and then runs across the slope to reach a saddle between souther fell and scales fell.

as we were eager to try the sharp edge, we walked towards the lochan (just used Scottish name for an English paddle!!!) then to the right, up towards the ridge.

in my own private opinion the edge was easy. I had no problem with it at any point. it is not too narrow, not too exposed and not too high/steep. but I am aware that perception of the ridge would be conditioned on person's own experience and ability to deal with open space /height. I also remember that I read online that people die falling from the ridge, I believe that in wet conditions the traverse could be more challenging and dangerous.

the ridge ends at the almost vertical rocky wall which you'll have to climb, but this was easier that the ridge itself, plenty of handles and if you're uncomfortable with the exposure, climb up the gully (to the right).

from the top of rocky wall (Atkinson pike) walk 10 mins to blencathra summit. I can imagine that views are amazing... our day was very hazy so all we saw in the distance was just a 'big white'.

good paths throught, easy to follow, maybe a little bit annoying as most of the way paths are covered in tiny scree-like stones... can make you loose control over your feet easily.

finish the trip with a meal and a pint at mill in :)

I thought that starting the walk in mungrisdale and walking back to scales was a 'transport mis-management' as we could have driven to scales and leave the car there. but there were other people (many, actually) who walked the same way, so.. no, we are not insane.... and if we ARE insane, at least we're not alone :)

and here are some pics:

our destination

sharp edge comes into view

along the sharp edge

the magnificent one

the ridge

up the Atkinson pike

sharp edge again

views from blencathra

the way back

looking back towards blencathra

more pictures here

http://www.around-scotland.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/blencathra-via-sharp-edge.html

enjoy!
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Re: BLENCATHRA via sharp edge

Postby simon-b » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:23 pm

Well done, Blueyed, that's one of the very best bits of England. You were spoilt for choice that day, Blencathra via Sharp Edge and Lochnagar are both brilliant.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Merry-walker » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:38 pm

Excellent report. The photos are stunning and i love how you've captured other walkers in your pictures. Shows great scale of just how big and beautiful this ridge and surrounding area is. That sharp ridge and bits you had to scramble/climb up looked very scarey indeed, I wouldn't have the nerve to do some thing like this. You've got guts girl doing that :shock: :shock: :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby ChrisW » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:41 pm

Ooooh lovely stuff Blueyed, I'm with you on that sharp edge thing, it looks pretty straightforward. Great hike (whichever way you do it :lol: ) and cracking photos as always :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland