walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Melbreak and her neighbour

Melbreak and her neighbour

Postby L-Hiking » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:27 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Hen Comb, Mellbreak

Date walked: 01/07/2013

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 950m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had been looking forward to July for quite some time and the 3 night trip with a few mates over to the Lake District, basing ourselves at Keswick. My friends are not as keen as I on climbing the Wainwrights, however they do enjoy it as long as there is a little of the Amber Nectar after the trip. I have to say we were made most welcome in the Oddfellows Arms in Keswick, I wonder why?? Ha ha.

Anyway the trip organisation is left with me including the planning and the organising of the walks we will do each day, so I took advantage of the opportunity to chalk off a few more of the most inaccessible fells for me which are the Western Fells of the Lake District and for today decided on Melbreak and Hen Comb doing a circular over from the Kirkstile Inn over Melbreak and then up the slopes of Hen Comb and back to the start.

The weather forecast for the week was poor and the best day was going to be Monday, so we left York at 0800 and after a nice breakfast at the Little Chef on the A66 we were on our way from the pub car park at 1115.

The path is straight forward and the route up Melbreak provides increasingly good views across Crumock Water.

The route over Melbreaks summit is a pleasure with views of Lakeland mountains all around a stop for a cup of coffee and a Mars bar is well recommended here.

Here are a few photos I took along the way

The attachment P1020482.JPG is no longer available
P1020482.JPG
Melbreak and the way up
P1020484.JPG
P1020486.JPG
High Stile Range
P1020487.JPG
P1020488.JPG
P1020489.JPG
P1020490.JPG
P1020491.JPG
P1020493.JPG
P1020495.JPG
P1020498.JPG
P1020500.JPG
A right Motley Crew on Hen Comb summit.
P1020501.JPG
Kirkstile Inn down there somewhere!
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Melbreak and her neighbour

Postby simon-b » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:26 pm

A good day out, LH. Did you go up Mellbreak's north face? It is a straight forward path, but steep and rough. Did you visit both the north and south tops of Mellbreak? The ridge descending from Hen Comb to Loweswater gives a pleasant walk, although I've only ever done that uphill.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:44 pm

L-Hiking wrote:Anyway the trip organisation is left with me including the planning and the organising of the walks we will do each day, so I took advantage of the opportunity to chalk off a few more of the most inaccessible fells for me which are the Western Fells
A bonus for being in charge, Geoff :lol: :lol:
Looks as though you had a good day and some great views :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby L-Hiking » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:28 pm

simon-b wrote:A good day out, LH. Did you go up Mellbreak's north face? It is a straight forward path, but steep and rough. Did you visit both the north and south tops of Mellbreak? The ridge descending from Hen Comb to Loweswater gives a pleasant walk, although I've only ever done that uphill.

Hi Simon....Yes went up the North face as you say, not to difficult with some mild scrambling although the path does get close to some drops. We then walked to the South top and into the valley before climbing Hen Comb...Currently in Scotland and looking forward to Breariach tomorrow :D

SusieThePensioner wrote:A bonus for being in charge, Geoff

Cheers Susie its working for me :lol:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:31 am

Looks like one to look forward to Geoff, great views.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland