walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moel Eilio Loop

Moel Eilio Loop

Postby snowdonia7 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:26 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Moel Cynghorion, Moel Eilio

Date walked: 20/07/2013

Time taken: 3.75

Distance: 17.7 km

Ascent: 1553m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Two months since I've been in the hills, during that time I haven't even been running due to wrenching my ankle in the dangerous pursuit of gardening :lol:

I went for one of my favourite routes - up Snowdon via the Llanberis path, then at the finger-post hang a right - over the railway line and descend the ranger path before climbing Moel Cynghorion and follow the path along the summits to Moel Eilio.

I did this last a few months ago in the snow and last year completed it with Neil in three and three-quarter hours. Today was hot and I took a couple of litres of water, but no food :?

I kept a good pace up Snowdon weaving between the masses heading for the summit. On the descent of the Ranger path my right knee started to protest - this has happened the last few hill days and may signal that age and abuse as part of fell-running over the years is catching up on me :(

Slowed down on the way to Moel Eilio (because I was tired) although thankfully the sun was in cloud for most of this section so at least I wasn't burning up.

The Snowdon race was on, and I hoped that I would get into Llanberis to see the winner finishing and I timed it just right as I got back into the village the winner headed into the finishing funnel having completed the 10 miles and 3000' of ascent in 1 hour 8 minutes :shock: I thought back through rose tinted glasses to the years I used to enjoy that race and then hobbled to the ice cream van :D

Whilst I found the going tough I was fairly pleased to complete the round in the same time that Neil and I had done last year - if only my knee holds out I might yet finish the munros!
snowdonia7

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:36   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland