walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Rannerdale Knotts

Rannerdale Knotts

Postby Phooooey » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:15 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Rannerdale Knotts

Date walked: 28/07/2013

Time taken: 5

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 344m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Rannerdale Knotts

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sunday 28th July 2013 saw the finale to a 3.5 year mission to complete all 214 Wainwrights with Damson & I completing our ascent of Rannerdale Knotts above Crummock Water with 8 of our friends & family.
We were joined by Ellie, my Mum, Dad, Mags, Rachel, Mark, Zoe & Loaise (and Frank the Jack Russell).

When Ellie & I first picked up Damson from Walney Rescue Centre back in 2010, I set us a challenge to complete all Wainwrights fells within Damson's life time. I had done many of the Lakeland challenges as a lad, following my parents on many weekends for a large number of years, but had never catalogued them and worked out which I had done and not.

On finding this superb website (only a few weeks before finding Damson) the challenge was born as bagging is made so easy, yet a long time scale was included as I didn't know at the time how all consuming a love of the fells can be.

Over the last few years we have been out on most weekends in ALL weathers, including gales, blizzards, white outs, torrential rain & glorious sunshine although unlike Wainwright we were appropraitely attired. Damson has taken it all in her stride until our second ascent of Scafell Pike in the snow after which she got her technicolour dreamcoat, best shown in our Blencathra blog : http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=27258

Her coat was also packed for today as the weather forecast carried the possibility of heavy showers, although they were due in early morning and late afternoon with much better weather in between.

Our mate Rachel (minus hubby Andy and son James who were both out on Scout camp) stayed with us overnight and we all set out for Buttermere travelling through the centre of the district to get to the car park above the church for about 10 O'clock. The rain was intermittent throughout the journey and on reaching Buttermere but fairly light and in short bursts.
Unfortunately it had put a few people off but within 30 minutes we had our motley crew suited and booted and ready for the off.
The only rain we suffered was for the first 10 minutes where we sheltered under a few large trees at the head of the village.

The route took us down to the village before immediately turning up the opposite side of Mill Beck running through Ghyll Wood on a nice little woodland track between wall and beck, slowly climbing to a small gate and out onto the open fell side below Whiteless Breast.

Troop heading up flanks of Rannerdale Knotts over Ghyll Wood
Ellie and Dad exiting Ghyll Wood
Mum, Mags, Rach, Loaise, Mark & Zoe taking a breather
Ellie & view back to Buttermere with Robinson, Fleetwith Pike, Haystacks and High Stile Ridge

The sun was now out and we all exited the wood needing to strip off our waterproof layers to cool down.
Damson and Frank headed into the large ferns as we made our way up the clear grass paths pushing our way up onto the ridge running out to Rannerdale Knotts summit. Laoise took a few turns on Mark & my shoulders on the steeper sections but walked for the main part and did brilliantly.
We passed a number of low chicken wire runs on the way up protecting some freshly seeded areas of the path which baffled us slightly as there were breaks in the protection and didn't cover some of the more worn areas ??

Rach, Loaise & Mark getting a head start
I'll take the high road and ...
Mags leading Ellie & Zoe over the ridge to the summit
Heading up to summit
All smiles in the sunshine
We're not being left out
Rach & Ellie on Rannerdale Knotts ridge

On reaching the ridge, we made our way across to the summit before taking numerous photos and the gang congratulated our achievement. Great views over the trio of Buttermere, Crummock & Loweswater and surrounding fells made a perfect backdrop to our final summit.

Damson reaches the summit first (As usual)
One proud pooch :clap:
Dad looking out over Crummock Water to Lorton
Dad's tribute to A Wainwright (minus the pipe) :lol: :lol:
Damson, Mum & Me on Rannerdale Knotts
Crummock Water & Loweswater from Rannerdale Knotts
Frank !! Doesn't pose as much as Damson :wink:
A wet Damson on Rannerdale Knotts
What ?? We've finished them all ?? :crazy:

A breeze had lifted here so we decided to head down a little before breaking open the picnics and champagne. We found a great little bank about 1/3rd of the way down with some stunning views and tucked in to our grub and a few bottles of bubbly. Why hadn't we done this for all 213 other fells ??

What a setting for a champagne picnic
Lunch time views
Mellbreak from flanks of Rannerdale Knotts (lunch time)
Mellbreak over Crummock Water
Grabbing a bite to eat and a bottle or two to drink
Rachel gets the corner seat
Rachel, Mum & Loaise (Rach only looks about 12 here :lol: :lol: :lol: )

After packing away our lunch boxes and retrieving the popped corks we dropped down the steps and headed left towards Wood House and the road.

Heading down
Back towards the lake side
Lord of the Rings :lol: :lol:
Looking back up the valley to Buttermere

We crossed the road and headed down the shore line letting Damson & Frank have a swim as we made our way over towards Crummock Jetty before turning left and passing Wood House as we made our way back up towards the road back into Buttermere village.

We finished our walk with a pint in the Fish Hotel Beer Garden and a few laughs before taking a look at the Wainwright tribute window in the church.
An inscription in the near right window asks for all to raise their eyes and gaze upon AWs favourite place in the Lakes and his final resting place on Haystacks.

After following him over 1000kms in the past 3.5 years, it seemed a fitting finale.
The Out-lying Fells are next on the agenda as well as guide to the growing number of office personnel who have requested invites to join my weekend rambles.
Ellie may have to wait till nearer winter before she sees any real progression on getting the house sorted. :wink:
Last edited by Phooooey on Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Plan for Rannerdale Knotts

Postby ChrisW » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:34 am

Wish I could join you Phooooey but the distance is just a little too much :roll: hope you have a great day :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Rannerdale Knotts

Postby Phooooey » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:34 pm

Amended post from a plan to report. Photos uploaded first. Full report to follow in week.
Sorry you couldn't make it too ChrisW. You missed a great day with loads of laughs !
Phooooey

Hewitts:111

Postby ChrisW » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:07 am

What an absolutely wonderful day Phooooey, congratulations mate.... :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby yellowbelly » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:17 am

Many congratulations on finishing all the Wainwrights. :clap: The weather could have been a lot worse. Some great photos there - nice to see the heather in bloom.
What a lucky dog Damson is to have been rescued by you. :)
Good luck on the outlying fells. Just don't start recording Wainwrights again - before you know it you'll be ticking off your second round :lol:
yellowbelly
Wanderer

Munros:59   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:125

Postby L-Hiking » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:54 am

Well done sir

Many Congratulations a great achievement
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

Postby DaveB1 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:19 pm

Well done Phooooey. Join the club :clap: :clap: I'm already off on round two, i think I can really enjoy them this time round :lol: Dave
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:50 am

A wonderful set of photos and a walk to add t my list for the next time I am down in the Lakes. The Buttermere area is lovely. Damson is adorable and it is so much more enjoyable having a dog when out and about.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby simon-b » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:10 pm

Congratulations on completing, Phooooey :clap:. A great little fell to finish on, with some fine views as a backdrop.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:09 pm

Missed this while I was on holibobs. Looks like had a fantastic day. Congrats to you and Damson :clap:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Circles » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:36 pm

Congrats...I'm enjoying many of the walks you have done as I do my own quest for 214 (at least they won't change like the Munro's)
I'm hoping they'll put the Birketts on this site one day
You'll have to get Damson a little '214' tag for her collar!
Circles
Hill Bagger

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:90   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland