walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Around Aber Again

Around Aber Again

Postby snowdonia7 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Drum, Foel-fras

Date walked: 28/07/2013

Time taken: 3.05

Distance: 18.2 km

Ascent: 1082m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last minute decision to head for the hills and settled on a route from Aber that I have done on a number of occasions as it's probably the closest of Snowdonia's mountains to home. Weather forecast had been poor, but arrived in sunshine and set off from the car park at the start of the walk to the falls. First mile uphill on tarmac road before heading up steep W face of Foel Dduarth - with no path. Bit of a jog to next ascent of Foel-ganol and continued along the broad undulating ridge before joining the well-defined path to Drum.

Maintained a good pace to the summit and pushed straight on towards Foel Fras. A short stop at the summit before heading off SW following a wall. At the end of the wall took the path to Garnedd Uchaf and then the rocky outcrop of Yr Aryg. Staying south of Yr Aryg I followed the feint path towards Bera Bach - passing this on the south side too and heading towards Drosgl. Once again skirt round the south side and follow the path (which at this point is more pronounced) and start descending in a NE direction heading towards Moel Wnion with the small conical Gyrn ahead and to the left.

On the descent NW along Afon Gam I was starting to feel it and I was only able to run sporadically and on reaching the north Wales path I walked the section to Aber falls. I was able to trot after this back to the car park getting back 5 minutes over 3 hours.

Given that the trip had been completed in sturdy boots and carrying a pack (albeit fairly light) and my lack of fitness it is difficult to say what a 'par' time might be around the route for a fell race - all being well I'll have a crack at it later in the summer.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

snowdonia7

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:36   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland