walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - My Nemesis Conquered - Midnight Peak

Canada - My Nemesis Conquered - Midnight Peak

Postby ChrisW » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:12 am

Date walked: 30/07/2013

Time taken: 5

Distance: 11.4 km

Ascent: 914m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It's just two weeks short of a year since I bounced over 100 metres down the Northern ridge of Midnight Peak, I was very lucky to escape that fall and I still bear the physical scars on my arms,stomach and thigh. That day was obviously at the forefront of my mind as I made my way from the car park beside highway 40 into the forests covering the southern approach to Baldy Pass.

In a very short time the effects of the recent flooding was apparent, this shot shows what was a narrow (one person wide) dirt trail through the lower forest.

Even in the areas where the majority of trees have survived the forest floor is now covered in rocks, all of which dance under my boots with every step making the hike more 'interesting'

Higher up the initial stages the washout existed prior to the floods, just not so damn wide, it must have been an incredible sight in full flow, this shot looks back toward the trailhead.

eventually I reach the point where the original trail can be picked up as it begins the steeper ascent toward South Baldy Pass. All the way along I thought of my son Mark and our trip up here together two months ago when we climbed to the south summit of Baldy, in my head we chatted about the difference between the trail then and now.

Once on the higher original trail I began to think about that north ridge and the way it had collapsed under me as I ascended last year, I thought about all the rain and wondered if it would have been undermined further. Then on my right I saw a long meltwater channel reaching up toward one of the lower ridges, I quickly decided to take this route and avoid the north ridge entirely.

early on the channel provides great footing with overgrown boulders knitted together with grass,weeds and bearberries and a fine view of Mt Baldy opening up as I ascend. It is great to see so many bearberries up here as many of these have been lost to the floods which might make autumn time a little more 'exciting' with hungry bears ranging further seeking food sources.

I have no idea about the route up here but can see the contours on my map showing a manageable slope to a small side ridge which connects to the main summit ridge higher up, still low down in the forested areas the going is good as I pick out a route upward toward the ridge.

as the ascent steepens and the ground underfoot becomes less stable I commence a long section of self imposed switchbacks choosing my footing carefully and continually adjusting the upward route to make the best of underfoot conditions.

The long pull up the scree and boulder slope eventually lifts me out of the forest and above the south ridge of Baldy, now I can see the prairies to the east, almost all of Baldy and even Yamnuska away in the distance.

Directly east is the sheer sided north ridge that almost got me last year, whilst the fall is in my mind it's not bothering me, it's just a good reminder of what can happen even when the greatest of care is taken.

I'm pleased when I'm off the scree/boulder slope and onto the lower ridge, wonderful views open up all around, the rate of ascent slows to a gradual plod and I wander along the stable surface looking down at highway 40 and the numerous huge washout areas that have appeared over the past month.

After a steady plod along the 'S' shaped ridge I reach the summit ridge and drop my gear before taking a well earned rest and scoffing down some fruit and water. I'm pleasantly surprised to find it is bloody freezing up here, The weatherman was reporting snow on the summits a couple of days ago and it actually feels a lot like it right now, I have to get the fleece out immediately.

My views to the north are (right to left) the wide open prairies leading away to Calgary, the three tall summits of Mt Baldy representing the eastern edge of the rockies and far away on the cloud line the ghost region north of the Trans-Canada highway.

to the west is the kananaskis valley which runs north -south, there are huge washouts reaching across the road that can be seen from here, behind them stands Mary Barclays Mountain and Mt Lorette, the deep scars in the dark green forest on the left of shot is the Nakiska Ski Area

To the south is Porcupine Ridge (running across centre of the shot) which is a wonderful hike in its own right. Behind that Wasootch Ridge, another great hike. Behind them is Mt McDougal and its long reaching ridges which will lead you to Old Baldy all of which make up the northern end of the Fisher Range.

finally, to the east in the centre of the frame is the summit cairn for Midnight Peak just a short wander away, and leading away to the right is Boundary Ridge, to the left are the foothills with wonderful cloud shadows racing across their forest covered slopes.

A short hike gets me to the summit, my nemesis conquered I stand and take in the stunning surroundings. The movement of the cloud shadows is mesmerising, the steep sharp line of Boundary Ridge cuts a definitive edge to the Rockies and away on the horizon I can now see Moose Mountain standing alone in the foothills.

I carry on beyond the ridge and drop down to a small abutment on the eastern edge, turning around from the foothills and looking back into the endless sea of mountains streaming away to the west is such a wonderful contrast that I actually do it twice.

Baldy Pass is the dip in the mountains in the lower right of this shot, you could bike to it from the eastern side and then charge down the western slope through the forest, I think the washed out trail will end that particular fun for a while at least. Mt Baldy is a wonderful mountain, you can take on the scramble from the north to the north summit then traverse to the south summit and down the pass, or reverse that route or take either the north or south and then cross to the west summit and descent the scree slopes to a point on the pass trail. For me it will always be the first mountain I climbed with my boy....and my best day in the hills.

Back to the cairn now for the evidence shot and yes, I'm as pleased as I look right now though it is bloody cold. The temperature is not normal for the time of year and at only 7800 feet it's hardly a huge mountain but somehow it is 20 degrees different between the car park and here.

A zoomed shot of the peaks behind me shows the remnants of the fresh snow that fell two days ago giving some indication of the temps up here right now.

Looking back along the ridge to my gear, I decided to wander back and set off down a little way before stopping for lunch as my hands were freezing and I didn't have gloves with me today. It s a real shame to descend from a spot like this on a day like today, but hopefully there'll be a few more days like today before I hang up my boots.

As I start my descent I grab one more shot of those wonderful cloud shadows over the foothills before dropping down the ridge I had ascended on.

I stayed with the ridge beyond the point I had joined it on ascent because the slope from lower down looked less steep and had more greenery suggesting a more stable surface, finally I stopped in the trees for a quick lunch in the warmth of the afternoon sunshine before the last push for home.

by the time I was reaching the last of the washed out section my feet were sick and tired of moving boulders beneath them and it was nice to break off here into the forest for the last 1.5km to the car park.

As I wandered through the forest I couldn't help but smile at this little squirrel happily munching pine cones as I passed, judging by the enormous pile of debris under that tree I assume he sits here a lot!!

This was a great hike in wonderful conditions and finally lays my nemesis to rest, now I can drive down highway 40 without that huge shadow looming over me every time......now where to next.

ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - My Nemesis Conquered - Midnight Peak

Postby MarilynMunro » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:13 pm

Stunning phots of a poignant, and emotional return to this area.
So very glad your here to tell the tale, thankfully no goats this time. :lol:

The whole area is absolutely stunning, and your phots are out of this world :clap: :clap:
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby ChrisW » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:37 pm

MarilynMunro wrote:Stunning phots of a poignant, and emotional return to this area.
So very glad your here to tell the tale, thankfully no goats this time. :lol:
The whole area is absolutely stunning, and your photos are out of this world :clap: :clap:

Thanks MM, it was good to go back and get this one done :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:52 pm

Ah you're back, i'd wondered where you had gone. Welcome back, not been the same without your reports and good to see you going back to climb this one after your fall. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby soulminer » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:02 pm

Quite a fine Nemesis to have conquered, if you don't mind me saying so :clap: :lol: :lol: Some excellent camera work- it does make it easier when the views out front are as good as this though 8) I have the feeling there will be more to come :thumbup: Cheers Chris.
soulminer

Postby Lenore » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:23 pm

Wahaha that squirrel is hilarious! :lol: Glad you weren't too bothered by the memory of your fall and had a good walk. Great photos as every Chris; I especially like the shots with that sea of mountains going on and on in the back. Such a different scale than Scotland! :clap:
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby clivegrif » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:38 pm

Wow Chris - amazing stuff there!

Only 7,800 feet? A mere pimple! Whats all the fuss about?? :wink:

Thats a great trip report with wonderful pictures that really does showcase a stunning area. What must it be like to walk / clamber along that Boundary Ridge?

Glad you had the bottle to go back and sort out that mountain. Fantastic! :thumbup:
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby ChrisW » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:50 am

Johnny Corbett wrote:Ah you're back, i'd wondered where you had gone. Welcome back, not been the same without your reports and good to see you going back to climb this one after your fall. :D

Thanks JC, I was actually back a week ago on a cracking scenic mountain with a wicked steep ascent :wink:
soulminer wrote:Quite a fine Nemesis to have conquered, if you don't mind me saying so :clap: :lol: :lol: Some excellent camera work- it does make it easier when the views out front are as good as this though 8) I have the feeling there will be more to come :thumbup: Cheers Chris.

Cheers Soulminer, the landscape really does make the the photography much, much easier :lol:
Lenore wrote:Wahaha that squirrel is hilarious! :lol: Glad you weren't too bothered by the memory of your fall and had a good walk. Great photos as every Chris; I especially like the shots with that sea of mountains going on and on in the back. Such a different scale than Scotland! :clap:

Thanks Lenore, I think the mountains (that are literally as far as the eye can see) are the most incredible thing I've seen.....it's just the scale....mindblowing.
clivegrif wrote:Wow Chris - amazing stuff there!
Only 7,800 feet? A mere pimple! Whats all the fuss about?? :wink:
Thats a great trip report with wonderful pictures that really does showcase a stunning area. What must it be like to walk / clamber along that Boundary Ridge?
Glad you had the bottle to go back and sort out that mountain. Fantastic! :thumbup:

Thanks Clive, it's the little 'uns that get ya :lol: That Boundary Ridge would be a fantastic traverse, I've actually done a little of it further along from the other side (though I didn't know it at the time) it was last September when I did Belmont Browne Peak
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Clach Liath » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:36 am

What is this talk about hanging up your boots?? That's not allowed!

As usual a nice set of photos with a burden lifted :)
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:39 pm

[quote="Clach Liath"]What is this talk about hanging up your boots?? That's not allowed!

My thoughts also,none of that here please :lol:

Anyway more wonderful pictures Chris.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:59 pm

Clach Liath wrote:What is this talk about hanging up your boots?? That's not allowed!
As usual a nice set of photos with a burden lifted :)

Thanks CL, hopefully I'll be using 'em for a few years yet :wink:
gammy leg walker wrote:
Clach Liath wrote:What is this talk about hanging up your boots?? That's not allowed! My thoughts also,none of that here please :lol:
Anyway more wonderful pictures Chris.

Cheers Gammy, just getting to the good part of the year now.....once the family have gone back home I'll be exploring many more....not that I want to see the back of 'em or anything ........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:59 pm

Great work, Chris, to get that one out of the way! Can't believe how the time has flown :shock:
Beautiful photos :thumbup: Aren't you fed up with those fantastic mountains just stretching away into the distance...............?? :lol: :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:37 pm

Nemesis certainly conquered, Chris - well done :thumbup:

Excellent set of photos as ever and I did enjoy reading your report - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ChrisW » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:15 am

SusieThePensioner wrote:Great work, Chris, to get that one out of the way! Can't believe how the time has flown :shock: Beautiful photos :thumbup: Aren't you fed up with those fantastic mountains just stretching away into the distance...............?? :lol: :lol:

Thanks Susie, I've only been here 19 months so it miight take a bit linger to get fed up with em :lol:
rockhopper wrote:Nemesis certainly conquered, Chris - well done :thumbup:

Excellent set of photos as ever and I did enjoy reading your report - cheers :)

Cheers Rockhopper, I prefer the shots from last week (for scenic beauty) but this one is pretty good too :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:29 pm

Great report and photos as always Chris.

How far do you travel for these walks - do you cover a lot of miles or are you lucky enough to be living close to the Rockies??

PS Porcupine Ridge - I'd have to walk that for the name itself!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland