walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aysgarth to Askrigg and Back - Circular Route

Aysgarth to Askrigg and Back - Circular Route

Postby Border Reiver » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:39 pm

Date walked: 19/06/2013

Time taken: 7

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 3360m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We hadn’t intended going walking, but the prospect of a fine afternoon made us change our mind and we hurried across to Aysgarth National Park Centre to do a walk I had identified on the map.
Heading down to the Upper Falls a good path veers to the right of the falls picnic area and winds through hedges and woods before reaching the edge of a field.
After that the path wasn’t visible across the fields in a lot of places and we almost turned back along with another couple of walkers. Clearly, if a path isn’t part of a walk described in guide, then it’ll be ignored by most walkers.
If you trust the map and follow the signs for Askrigg, it’s a very pleasant walk across fields, along the river bank and along parts of the old railway track up Wensleydale.

Part of old Wensleydale railway track

The river Ure

Barn in Wensleydale

There had obviously been some very high floods, judging by the debris left by the river, high up the fields and riverbank, but after some recent dry weather, some of the small becks were waterless, with stepping stones left high and dry.

Dried up stream

Stepping Stones

River Ure

Old Railway Track

Nearer Askrigg, many of the fields were yellow with buttercups and we saw some of the best wildflower meadows I’ve seen for a long time.

Barn and Buttercups near Askrigg

Wild Flowers

We took the road North out of Askrigg and at the top of the steepest bank, cut across more buttercup yellow fields, passing through Newbiggin and slanting up through a small wood to join High Straights Lane.

Ancient Gate near Askrigg

Path across Field of buttercups near Newbiggin

Yellow Fields near Newbiggin

High Straights Lane

By then, it was after 4.00pm and was getting very hot and we had to zip the bottom parts of our trousers back on and cover our necks. The route follows the lane East along the hillside, with good views south across Wensleydale, then along Oxclose road, before cutting down to Carperby.

Scenery along High Straights Lane

Looking East along Wensleydale from near Woodhall

View West along Wensleydale from near Woodhall

Eller Beck

Waterfall on Eller Beck

Oxclose Road

Carperby from the track to Oxclose Road

From Carperby, we walked South across fields back to Aysgarth car park.

Hawthorn Blossom near Carperby

It’s an excellent walk, certainly so in dry weather, but there was enough evidence to suggest that the path up the valley to Askrigg could be wet in places after rain. We didn’t count the number of the extremely narrow “stiles” we had to pass through, some with gates on, but there was a lot and it wasn’t possible to manage without scraping our boots and legs at times. The Dales walks must be difficult for some that are less mobile than others, certainly you have to be quite agile and fairly slim to squeeze through some of these gaps. Some were narrower at the bottom than my own boots.

Amazingly, in the whole 7 hours we were out, we only saw 7 other walkers (other than in Askrigg). Maybe if this walk were to find its way into a guide book, it would be well used.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Re: Aysgarth to Askrigg and Back - Circular Route

Postby mrssanta » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:03 pm

eee ah reet enjoyed that! the Dales stiles are also quite hard for big dogs. And you can tell which Dale you are in by the barns, the ones in Wensleydale are very distinctive.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby ChrisW » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:43 am

Hey BR, beautiful scenery throughout this one. With only 7 people in such wonderful surroundings in 7 hours hiking I'd keep this to myself if I were you :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Border Reiver » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:11 am

ChrisW wrote:Hey BR, beautiful scenery throughout this one. With only 7 people in such wonderful surroundings in 7 hours hiking I'd keep this to myself if I were you :wink:

Thanks, the Dales are surprisingly (to me) nice, and quiet if you go to the right places, but I'm constantly in awe of the trip reports you regularly put in these days. The Rockies are magnificent and the week we spent there in 1978 will live with me forever.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby colgregg » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:23 pm

There are many quiet walks in the Yorks Dales which give surprising views and pleasent walking. The Oxclose road is a great track and continues from where you turned down to carperby onto Castle Bolton. As for the guidebook, I've been intending to put all my Dales walks on a website some day. Its just getting round to starting.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland