walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blencathra Hall's Fell - Our first ridge walk

Blencathra Hall's Fell - Our first ridge walk

Postby MarkyMark10 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:39 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Blencathra

Hewitts included on this walk: Blencathra

Date walked: 12/08/2013

Time taken: 5

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 860m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It must be a year since my last mountain climb with Matty so it was time to dust off my new boots and go for a walk and this time with Will in tow too. Both lads wanted to do a ridge walk and wanted Blencathra via Sharp edge. I decided a safer ridge walk for young walkers would be Hall’s Fell Ridge.

Starting at Threlkeld in sunshine we walked through a lovely wooded path by a stream which ended at a gate which led to the Blencathra fell. Turn right and a nice flat walk through fields led to Gate Gill and first view of the Summit. Fantastic to get a clear view of the summit and climb to come.

blen 1.jpg
Gate Gill and the Summit

Climbing Hall’s Fell is hard work in the heat but you gain altitude very quickly. Plenty of sweets and drink breaks were the order of the day.

Blen 2.jpg
Gaining Altitude

Blen 3.jpg
Halls Fell

Blen 4.jpg
Hard work in this heat

After a long pull up Hall’s Fell we get our first view of the ridge. Spectacular this is with the view up to the summit. Great scrambling opportunities.

Blen 5.jpg
Hall's Fell Ridge

Blen 7.jpg
Where's the Path Dad?

Blen 8.jpg
Intrepid Explorers

The paths tend to stay to the right of the ridge but sometimes you just have to get on top of the ridge when the path disappears. The times we did stray to the left of the ridge led to some very exciting moments of picking a safe path.

Blen 9.jpg
Did we mean to go to the left?

Blen 10.jpg
Great Scrambling

One last pull to the Summit.

Blen 11.jpg
Nearly there

On the Summit I have to admit to a sense of achievement . I have never worked so hard to climb a mountain and I was so proud of the boys tackling such a scramble. The views from the top were a reward. Clear Lakeland summits with views to Scotland and the Pennines.

Blen 12.jpg
Summit Shot

Blen 13.jpg
Thirlmere and Derwent Water

It was so warm we could have lunch on the summit before desending towards Blease Fell, and then back to Thelkeld along the winding path and through the grassy slopes. Lovely view up Blease Gill.

Blen 14.jpg
Blease Gill

Straight to the Horse and Farrier for a quick pint of coke :-( to celebrate and hydrate in that heat.

A brilliant days walking in super weather.
Attachments
Blen 6.jpg
MarkyMark10
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:12   

Re: Blencathra Hall's Fell - Our first ridge walk

Postby colgregg » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:44 pm

Nice one and well done the kids. I found it strange climbing Blancathra, heading for the heights with the constant noise of the traffic on the A66 below. Not many fells have such backround sounds.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:57 pm

Great report Mark, I've had my eyes on this route for a while to enliven a walk to the pointless lump of Mungrisdale Common that we have to bag. My your pics have certainly whetted my appetite. :D
Well done Will and Matty :clap:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby hutchy1 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:11 pm

A great report its by far the best way up Blencathra with some good scrambling
hutchy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:279   Corbetts:21
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:113
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby colgregg » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:14 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Great report Mark, I've had my eyes on this route for a while to enliven a walk to the pointless lump of Mungrisdale Common that we have to bag. My your pics have certainly whetted my appetite. :D
Well done Will and Matty :clap:

Missed off doing Mungrisedale last time I was there. It's fells like this that make me think I'll never be bothered about getting my 214 up.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby simon-b » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:18 pm

Excellent, Mark, Will and Matty. According to A. Wainwright, "For active walkers and scramblers, this route is positively the finest way to any mountain top in the district".
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby AJNicholls » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:20 pm

Hall's Fell is a great ridge walk. Glad you all enjoyed it. I found it quite a slog to get up there myself but the Jennings pub in Threlkeld when I got back was a nice motivator. :wink:

Plenty of practice to be had on that ridge for your young'uns though. Well done.
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Postby ChrisW » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:48 am

Lovely to see a dad out with his lads doing what lads should be doing :clap: great report and pics of a cracking day for all 3 of you :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby MarkyMark10 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:20 pm

Thanks for the comments. I know what wainwright means now about the finest route. Kids had a blast scrambling and i think this one will be hard to beat. Just wish we could get to the lakes more often
MarkyMark10
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:12   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland