walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Reids Ridge - My worst day in stunning surroundings

Canada - Reids Ridge - My worst day in stunning surroundings

Postby ChrisW » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:32 pm

Date walked: 16/08/2013

Time taken: 3

Distance: 6.7 km

Ascent: 687m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It's hard to know where to begin with this tale of woe......after our family visit I was itching to ascend something having been confined to level ground for two weeks, however, just as I was about to escape to the mountains Sarah got sick with a virus so I decided to stay home and look after her. Suddenly it's friday morning and I've not seen the hills, Sarah is feeling a lot better and (though clearly not firing on all cylinders) I feel well enough to get out to the hills.

As I head out along the TransCanada I get stuck for 20 minutes as a result of a serious accident, as I pass I see tourists with all their luggage piled up on the roadside and a few cars in various states of damage including one on it's roof, a miserable start for those poor souls.

When I turn off the TransCanada onto highway 40 I get stopped again for a short time owing to a light aircraft carrying out an emergency landing on the road, before veering off and into a roadside sign. Luckily both occupants were on the news later laughing about their 'adventure' I grabbed a couple of phone pics while passing.
Before reaching Kananaskis Village I had to stop to make use of the pit loo's at Barrier Lake car park, then again at the garage along highway 40...oh dear. I finally reached the car park for my intended hike (Commonwealth Lake & The Pigs' Back) at 11:00am only to find the area closed due to grizzly activity......this was not my day.

I got back in the truck and continued along highway 742 toward Canmore when a logging truck came the opposite way throwing a stone onto my windscreen leaving a nice big chip with spiders legs cracks around it......oh joy. Now feeling like I should never have set off today I stopped in Sparrowhawk day use car park to use the loos again!! On exiting the facilities (firmly believing the world has fallen out of my bottom this morning) I see a trail across the way heading out into the forest, after checking my maps it appears to be an access for a ridge and possibly Sparrowhawk Mountain beyond. I get myself ready and head off across the dusty highway and into the forest.
the trail runs beside a creek for a short time before ascending a ridge where the view begins to open up, teasing me with a glimpse of what I know to be an incredible view of Spray Lakes Reservoir
The trail remains in good condition throughout but has a number of areas of loose stone on top of slab rock so care is always needed, as I ascend a good grade I see another ridge across the way which looks like one I might like to explore at a later date.
The ascent of the talus covered slope gets me above the tree line and gives a beautiful view out across the southern end of Spray Lakes Reservoir
after a good long slog where I begin to feel very cold even though it's 24 degrees, I am rewarded with a view of the north end of the reservoir. I am now really cream crackered but decide to continue a little further in the hope of making it to the ridge top at least.
this 12 shot pano shows why I kept going, it is a stunning view, I mean absolutely stunning, I sat down on the log in this shot for a good 10 minutes, I took on some high energy fluids and an orange before continuing on.
The trail weaves its way up the ridge moving from left to right and back again as if its maker couldn't decide on where the better views lie, after looking both side for some time I can't make up my mind either!!
after a long uphill slog I finally get a view of what lies ahead, it's an interesting steep bare rock with an angled 'slabby' slope covered in scree, definitely an area where sudden and unwanted descent might occur.
Almost there now and suddenly desperately seeking cover for another toilet break....that orange was a bad idea. The grassy ridge top provides a stunning view but little in the way of toilet facilities, I tell myself it's all in the mind and press on.
I can see the tip of a cairn now as the ridge levels off at last, consulting the map shows that the lump in front of me needs to be traversed to reach the mountain some 1.7 km beyond.
As I reach the ridge summit at last I flop down onto the grass and lay there for a good while with my rucksack still attached, when I finally get myself up I am greeted by this wonderful reward for my efforts. I knew I wasn't going any further today so took a while just resting, drinking (but not eating). I felt cold and weak as I dragged myself up to begin the descent, but as it was only a short distance I was soon back at the car park and back in the hideously stinky pit toilet there.
If I were being honest I would have to say that this was a bloody awful day from start to finish, but the view was worth pushing on for and I've learned a little about a mountain I may never have noticed, at a little over 10,000 feet it is a very appealing target for another day.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - Reids Ridge - My worst day in stunning surround

Postby L-Hiking » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:41 pm

What beautiful pictures Chris I agree totally stunning

Full marks for resilience I would have gave in with the start to the day you had

Spidrs legs made me laugh ha ha :lol:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby litljortindan » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:20 pm

Amazing scenery. Grizzly free?
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby ChrisW » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:49 pm

L-Hiking wrote:What beautiful pictures Chris I agree totally stunning
Full marks for resilience I would have gave in with the start to the day you had
Spidrs legs made me laugh ha ha :lol:

Cheers LH, I've got windscreen insurance (needed out here) so its no big deal just a pain in the butt :lol:
litljortindan wrote:Amazing scenery. Grizzly free?

Thanks litljortindan , I think all the grizzlies were back down the road where I wanted to hike :roll:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby blanchie » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:15 am

The shot of the reservoir looks magical, like a painting of the best landscape you could think of. Well done!
blanchie
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:72
Wainwrights:111   

Postby DaveB1 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:41 am

Great pics again Chris,. Hope you recover from the 'trots'. The big curved ridge looks like an interesting target, although the way down the other end somewhat steep :lol: Dave.
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:43 pm

Sounds like you may have caught the "lurggie" but the views were well worth the effort,stunning as always Chris.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Clach Liath » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Hmm - I think I might not have got out of bed!!
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Walk wish-list

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Well worth it in the end after all your mishaps and what a plan B you chose :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:59 pm

Oh dear, Chris, didn't you wonder why all the toilet stops??? :roll: And all the other things that were holding you up?
Well, Mr Stubborn, fantastic views though and well worth it :thumbup:
Hope you're feeling a lot better :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:59 pm

blanchie wrote:The shot of the reservoir looks magical, like a painting of the best landscape you could think of. Well done!

Thanks Blanchie, it was well worth the effort on a bit of a 'crappy' day :lol:
DaveB1 wrote:Great pics again Chris,. Hope you recover from the 'trots'. The big curved ridge looks like an interesting target, although the way down the other end somewhat steep :lol: Dave.

Cheers Dave, I'd like to go back and have a go at that curve....and the mountain beyond it :wink:
gammy leg walker wrote:Sounds like you may have caught the "lurggie" but the views were well worth the effort,stunning as always Chris.

I think you're right Gammy and being out in the wilds is not the place to have it :lol:
Clach Liath wrote:Hmm - I think I might not have got out of bed!!

I'm with you CL, but I think the view was worth it.....just :?
Johnny Corbett wrote:Well worth it in the end after all your mishaps and what a plan B you chose :D

Cheers JC, I got lucky with that one, but it's a great area along highway 742 with plenty of opportunities so it's not too difficult to find a good spot......once you've got out of the toilet :roll: ... :lol: :lol:
SusieThePensioner wrote:Oh dear, Chris, didn't you wonder why all the toilet stops??? :roll: And all the other things that were holding you up?
Well, Mr Stubborn, fantastic views though and well worth it :thumbup:
Hope you're feeling a lot better :D

Thanks Susie, I just thought it was a combination of a dodgy dinner and 'one of those days' :lol: definitely worth it in the long term :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:17 am

I must admit to being a bit worried by your title Chris, considering you ended up surfing helplessly down a mountain on huge slab of rock one time :lol:
Looks like your grim determination paid off in the end, some of those views are astonishing. Hopefully your feeling a bit better by now :thumbup:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:30 pm

Trots on the hills... We know something about it :sick: Be glad you're not dairy-intolerant :lol: :lol: :lol:

Superb views. Well worth the sacrifice. There are days like that sometimes, when everything seems to turn against you. You managed to pile up a long list of obstacles though: accidents, planes, grizzly bears, chipped windscreens... But at least weather was fine :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Sabbathstevie » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:00 pm

My sweet lord. However ardous the journey, those pics are just breathtaking. :clap:
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:10

Postby ChrisW » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:02 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:I must admit to being a bit worried by your title Chris, considering you ended up surfing helplessly down a mountain on huge slab of rock one time :lol:
Looks like your grim determination paid off in the end, some of those views are astonishing. Hopefully your feeling a bit better by now :thumbup:

Cheers JK, it actually took a couple of days to see off the trots :lol: but I'm ready fro another hill now :wink:
BlackPanther wrote:Trots on the hills... We know something about it :sick: Be glad you're not dairy-intolerant :lol: :lol: :lol: Superb views. Well worth the sacrifice. There are days like that sometimes, when everything seems to turn against you. You managed to pile up a long list of obstacles though: accidents, planes, grizzly bears, chipped windscreens... But at least weather was fine :lol:

Thanks BP, the weather is always fine out here.....the rest of it I could have done without :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland