walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bowfell & Esk Pike

Bowfell & Esk Pike

Postby poppiesrara » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:29 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Bowfell, Esk Pike, Rosset Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Bowfell, Esk Pike, Rossett Pike

Date walked: 26/08/2013

Time taken: 4.75

Distance: 14.75 km

Ascent: 1025m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A hot summer’s walk along the trade routes around the high mountains at the head of Langdale.

bowfell.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I’m not sure what time the crowds must set off, but I certainly wasn’t expecting to see no-one around the Old Dungeon Ghyll at 9.30 on a blazing bank holiday… and still not a soul all the way up the Band to the summit of Bowfell. This is steep, incredibly hot going in its early stages before it levels off on the approach to Three Tarns (all three intact at the moment) – great views all round, but very hard work.
Bowfell 003.jpg
The Band, Bowfell to the right

Bowfell 004.jpg
Rossett Pike

Bowfell 007.jpg
Langdale Pikes

Bowfell 011.jpg
Great Langdale from the Band

Bowfell 014.jpg
Crinkle Crags

Bowfell 015.jpg
Bowfell

The final stages, on a decent route over rocky ground past the dramatic northern crags and then clambering up boulders to the summit, seem easier in the cooler air, but it’s still a peak that you reach with a feeling of some achievement.
Bowfell 020.jpg
Three Tarns & Shelter Crags

Bowfell 027.jpg
Coniston Fells over Pike of Blisco & Cold Pike

Bowfell 028.jpg
Bowfell northern climbing walls

Bowfell 031.jpg
The Great Slab

Bowfell 036.jpg
Eskdale from Bowfell

Bowfell 037.jpg
The Scafells

A clear way, cairned and obviously well-trodden, heads over Esk Pike and its striking western terraces and looping down to Angle Tarn, nestled in a hollow below Bowfell’s northern crags. Terrific views over to the Scafells and way into the distance to the north, and a real feeling throughout of being among the highest of mountains.
Bowfell 045.jpg
Esk Pike

Bowfell 049.jpg
Rossett Pike in front of High Raise & the Langdale Pikes

Bowfell 050.jpg
Scafells from Esk Pike

Bowfell 051.jpg
Great End & Great Gable

Bowfell 053.jpg
Northern Fells over Glaramara

Bowfell 067.jpg
Rossett Pike & Angle Tarn

Bowfell 072.jpg
Angle Tarn below north face of Bowfell

Bowfell 079.jpg
Esk Pike

After a quick jaunt up to the quiet little spear of Rossett Pike, I had planned a circuitous route home via Stake Pass to avoid what I’d imagined to be a horrible descent of Rossett Gill. But the sight of dozens of people of all shapes, sizes and ages coming up that way with limbs and spirits apparently fully intact, and a distant view of the path changed my mind. And – whatever this route was once like – the path-repairers have done a great job on it now, the zigzags ‘paved’ throughout with indigenous-looking rocks into an easy gradient. None of the guides would have you believe that this was a better path than that up the Band – to Wainwright they were poles apart – but it definitely seems it now, and that and the flat miles through Mickleden make a pretty easy end to a day.
Bowfell 081.jpg
Mickleden & Great Langdale from Rossett Pike

Bowfell 088.jpg
Rossett Gill

Bowfell 099.jpg
Rossett Pike from Mickleden Beck

Bowfell 100.jpg
Langdale Pikes
Last edited by poppiesrara on Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Bowfell & Esk PIke

Postby ChrisW » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:40 am

This is a beauty P, and bloody hard work in the heat too :clap: Fantastic photos throughout the hike with some real beauties but the one that sticks in my mind is the great slab, it looks so much like the 'great slab' I stood on last year that turned out not to be so great after all and toppled me down the mountain :lol:

I just read Foggies India TR before this, which makes yours look so lush and green its unbelievable :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Bowfell & Esk Pike

Postby Sarah86 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:15 pm

Love the Lakes, that looks some walk but beautiful scenery lovely blue skies
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby colgregg » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:28 pm

One of the best Lakes walks and fine weather too. Talking of a "lack of People" I did Scafell on Tuesday (Boot to Burnmoor Tarn and up West flank). From the summit I could see a continuous stream of people on Englands highest. I was on the summit of Scafell for an hour and a half and only 1 person came and went, I had it all to myself, just the way I like it. Same thing the next day on my Harter - Hardknott round. the only person I met was a guy on the summit of Harter Fell.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby tenohfive » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:42 am

Cracking report Poppy and I've managed to talk to missus into doing this at some point in the next couple of weeks, weather permitting.

Having done the first part of The Band during a breathless, baking hot summers day and having to turn back (one of the twenty-somethings with me couldn't keep going) I can offer testament to how brutal that first ascent is, but I can't wait.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby simon-b » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:35 pm

Fine fells and a great route, poppie. Walking in Lakeland has been hot work lately, but you can't complain with views like those.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:39 pm

Yet to do these three Poppy, certainly looking forward to it, looks a great outing.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland