walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Way We Went to Brandon Mountain

The Way We Went to Brandon Mountain

Postby litljortindan » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:43 pm

Date walked: 21/05/2006

Time taken: 6

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 952m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We had two honeymoons in 2006 -one in the Faroes and one in Ireland. One of the walks we did was around Brandon Mountain, my second visit here -the first having been a trudge in the rain in 2002. This time the weather looked more promising.
We followed what I suppose is the tourist route into the main corrie. It is apparently possible to do the east ridge as an "airy scramble" but we were just there for the views and not keen on a venture into the unknown.
Early views over the bay and beach to the east were great and to the west we could see that the cloud was staying off the hill.
We wend our way into the corrie beneath the east / south east ridge and followed the yellow painted arrows across he corrie floor and on up to the zig zags that lead onto the summit ridge.
Hamish Brown at least once mentioned Brandon Mountain as his favourite. It is certainly a fantastic place to be and the walking is in fact very easy. We visited the north east end of the summit ridge then doubled back and set off for the main summit. From there the scene is dominated by the Atlantic to the west and the subsidiary ridges to the east and south. We had been lucky with the weather, as we would be the whole week. A week, in fact, of solid rain apart from the three times when we went walking.
On our way down we made an error in cutting off east too soon, down an inviting looking path. This actually leads to private farmland as we later discovered so if you go there make sure you go all the way round the southern corrie edge.

As a backdrop to our stay in Ireland we had the novelties of the Euro, numerous wayside statues of Mary, signposts on to which it seemed anyone and everyone had added their location and gently lilting radio ads with hundred mile an hour "terms and conditions" end bits. We also managed to get stopped by the Garda as we followed a car into the bus lane near the airport motorway exit -a car that then put on its police lights. I think that as soon as we said we were flying to Aberdeen we were ok...

91220024v2.jpg
one
91220019v2.jpg
two
91220002v2.jpg
three
91220018v2.jpg
four
91220012v2.jpg
five
91220011v2.jpg
six
91220005v2.jpg
seven
91220016v2.jpg
eight

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q=brandon%20mountain
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: The Way We Went to Brandon Mountain

Postby simon-b » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:51 pm

That looks like a nice climb, LJT. It's a long time since I've been to the Dingle Peninsula, but I remember Brandon Mountain looking impressive from the north coast.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby ChrisW » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:13 am

Lovely stuff litljortindan, 2 honeymoons eh.....most folks would onlyhave the energy for 1 :wink: ............ :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Phil the Hill » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:44 pm

Nice to see a report on what's one of my favourite mountains too. I've done it twice now, and always seem to lose the path on the approach and end up picking my way between rocks in the bottom of the valley. Maybe I'll do that interesting-looking East ridge next time!
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby litljortindan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:09 am

RTC wrote:Thoroughly enjoyed the photos. I did Brandon Mountain by this route several years ago in thick mist and didn't get any view at all. Do you know Hamish Brown's story about what the locals say about Brandon Mountain. - On a clear day you can see America from the top. - But you never got a clear day. You had a clear day but I bet you couldn't see America.

I'd forgotten that but must have read it in his account in Classic Walks. I notice he also commented that at the time he'd had more wet days there than dry out of a dozen visits.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:14 am

simon-b wrote:That looks like a nice climb, LJT. It's a long time since I've been to the Dingle Peninsula, but I remember Brandon Mountain looking impressive from the north coast.

I found it a very uplifting place to be. Easy walking and really spectacular views. Plus, you can get a really good pint at the bottom!
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:20 am

ChrisW wrote:Lovely stuff litljortindan, 2 honeymoons eh.....most folks would onlyhave the energy for 1 :wink: ............ :lol: :lol:

Ah yes those were the days! Well we got married for the grand sum of £48 so there was plenty left in the kitty for a bit of travelling. That is what honeymoons are for isn't it?
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:30 am

Phil the Hill wrote:Nice to see a report on what's one of my favourite mountains too. I've done it twice now, and always seem to lose the path on the approach and end up picking my way between rocks in the bottom of the valley. Maybe I'll do that interesting-looking East ridge next time!

Brown in Wilson and Gilbert (1982 p267) recalls that the east ridge "left no room for error". That was in wet conditions though so probably straight forward in the dry!

Reference
WILSON K. and GILBERT R. 1982 (eds.) Classic Walks Diadem Books Ltd., London
litljortindan
Ambler

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland