walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

snowdon

snowdon

Postby blueyed » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:57 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Snowdon - Yr Wyddfa

Date walked: 29/10/2013

Time taken: 7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

we stayed at the campsite which was nearest to the mountain, we could easily just walk up to Snowdon from the campsite (but who would bother to do that?!?!)
in general the campsite was ok, rather poor facilities, especially showers. practical points - located just at the lake -good in warm weather but we were not lucky and it was pretty windy. another practical tip -they want people to leave cars on the boarders of pitch area so in general people had their cars parked around and not next to the tents, which could be wee bit awkward sometimes. but what I really liked was the solution to 'bonfire desire'.
they had some portable iron constructions to light a fire on (without burning the grass around), also they had timber on sale (£4 for a big-big bag of timber).
unfortunately, wales is famous of its wet climate, therefore no surprises there -it rained all night.. and morning (tent managed it!! yeah!). morning came and question of 'what to do today' was heavy like clouds on the mountains' summits.
we decided to get in the dry car and think of the options. we knew the forecast was exactly the same for next days.. so finally we decided to stick to the plan and climb Snowdon. as we were in the car already, I just started the engine and we drove up to pen y pass. only when we got there I realised I was still in my pyjamas, no breakfast, no sandwiches etc

here is a great example of our spontaneousness :)

luckily we kept everything in the car anyway so I dressed properly at the car park and we made some sandwiches and stuff, we also had Snowdonia map in the car, so everything went well :)

pen y pass car park is rather small, especially thinking how popular the place is, so even arriving at 7.15 on a rainy day it was already very busy. parking is small but expensive - 4 hrs stay is charged £4, whole day £10! and you have to pay at the machine which takes coins only! think about it, as the café opens at 8am so there isn't any place around to get the change!

as it was our first time in Snowdonia and I wasn't sure what to expect, I asked two girls at the car park (they were just leaving and going up).. so I asked them if there is any path easy to follow if we take pyg track. they replied 'so-so'... well, if this track on the picture is only a 'so-so' path for you guys then feel free to come to us, to Scotland, and see what 'real life' paths are like :) this on the picture is more like a motorway than a path!

nice views we had when reached the summit!

take care
Ela
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland