walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hammarskaftet

Hammarskaftet

Postby litljortindan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:33 pm

Date walked: 07/06/2001

Time taken: 1.5

Distance: 1 km

Ascent: 400m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The fifth day of my ten day trip to the Lofoten Islands in 2001 and the weather changed from winter to summer. I hired a bicycle from the A hostel and cycled the five miles to Reine with not much intention other than enjoying the change after four days in wintry and/or non summery weather.
Reine has been described as Norway's most beautiful village. Not sure about that but it certainly has a dramatic backdrop of the Kirkefjord or Kjerk Fjorden mountains (arguably Lofoten's most dramatic).
I looked up at the pinnacle above the village, Hammarskaftet, and thought it would make a good, short walk with a good view down Kirkefjord. I trusted to the bicycle not being stolen but did trail it off the road for a fair distance as I had no lock. The way up was on a grassy ramp lined with boulders that had clearly fallen from the sheer adjoining wall to the south. So a straight forward and steep slog got me to the narrowing ridge that I could try to follow up to Navaren. I thought about this briefly before discounting as too exposed and settled for enjoying the breathtaking enough views north west into the fjord and south over Reinevatnet and the Norwegian Sea.
I did venture out towards the pinnacle, heart racing as usual because of the exposure and I also went a little way further up the narrowing ridge to Navaren but both way to exposed for my liking so didn't last long! Still a very fine and rewarding short walk.

81190013v2.jpg
looking north west over Kirkefjord and its surrounding mountains

81190014v2.jpg
looking east over Reine and the Hammarskaftet pinnacle

81190015v3.jpg
another of Kirkefjord

81190016v2.jpg
Reine and its dramatic backdrop of the Kirkefjord mountains -Hammarskaftet is the pinnacle on the left

https://maps.google.com/?ll=67.937201,13.064461&spn=0.028371,0.108318&t=h&z=13
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Munros:115   Corbetts:58
Grahams:28   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland