walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Kirkjufell failed attempt

Kirkjufell failed attempt

Postby litljortindan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:06 pm

Date walked: 27/08/2012

Time taken: 2.5

Distance: 3 km

Ascent: 300m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The second day of my four day trip to Iceland. I'd noticed this hill in my researches of the little information available on the web but hadn't realised that people have fallen off! Seems most people hire a local guide to get to the top. I think if I'd had more patience or bravery or realisation that there was a walking/scrambling route up via a fixed rope I might have made more progress but in fact I think if I returned I would also hire a guide as the route was anything but obvious. The area I'd considered continuing up was very steep and didn't look reversible for me so can't have been the normal route. All that aside, even getting two thirds of the way up was enjoyable with fine views east, south and west plus the bonus of the nearby Kirkjufall falls to visit nearby.

CIMG2934v2.jpg
looks challenging seen in profile from the south

CIMG2936v2.jpg
sunrise colours on the east face

CIMG2941v2.jpg
someone saying hello

CIMG2943v2.jpg
view from the shore

CIMG2944v2.jpg
looking east

CIMG2957v2.jpg
moving on to trickier ground

CIMG2958v2.jpg
top of gully that bridges gap between two of the horizontal rock bands

CIMG2960v2.jpg
looking east from top of gully

CIMG2966v2.jpg
looking west

CIMG2970v2.jpg
and looking east again

CIMG2971v2.jpg
a bit of warm sun

CIMG2975v2.jpg
looking west again

CIMG2976v2.jpg
another looking west

CIMG2977v2.jpg
the beautiful Kirkjufell falls

CIMG2981v2.jpg
reached the middle of the right skyline
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Munros:115   Corbetts:58
Grahams:28   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland