walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Black Fell, Holme Fell and Tarn Hows

Black Fell, Holme Fell and Tarn Hows

Postby canisp » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:23 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Black Fell, Holme Fell

Date walked: 10/03/2010

Time taken: 8

Distance: 9 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hills done, Black Fell and Holme Fell
OS Map No 90
Started Grid Ref 323004
Distance walked 9 km’s
Height Gain 450 metre’s
10 March 2010

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I parked the car at Yew Tree Tarn then walked south for 400 metres to pick up a path which starts at the National Trust car park and goes up to Tarn Hows. A short stroll anti clockwise around Tarn Hows put me at the byway at Grid Ref 331007, then another 1.5 km and i was on the summit of Black Crag, the best views being from a big cairn 200 metres east overlooking Lake Windermere.

Tarn Hows
BF (1).jpg

Tarn Hows and Wetherlam
BF (2).jpg

Tarn Hows and Coniston Old Man left of centre
BF (3).jpg

Click Here for a bigger version of the above photo.

On the Woodland path around Tarn Hows
BF (4).jpg

On the Woodland path around Tarn Hows
BF (5).jpg

Ice on Tarn Hows
BF (6).jpg

Tarn Hows
BF (7).jpg

Tarn Hows
BF (8).jpg

From Black Crag i retraced my steps to the byway and followed it to main road at Grid Ref 328017. After crossing the road and passing through a gate i took to the hillside on a faint track and soon gained the ridge which was followed to the summit of Holme Fell.

Trig Point on Black Fell
BF (9).jpg

Cairn at viewpoint overlooking Lake Windermere
BF (10).jpg

Crinkle Crags, Bow Fell and the Langdale Pikes
BF (11).jpg

Looking back to the Trig Point
BF (12).jpg

On the byway above Tarn Hows
BF (13).jpg

From Holme Fell looking to Black Fell
BF (14).jpg

Birch Tree
BF (15).jpg

Cairn on the summit ridge of Holme Fell
BF (16).jpg

Cairn at Grid Ref 317007, looking to the Langdale Pikes
BF (17).jpg

Yew Tree Tarn
BF (18).jpg

After a short rest a descent north then east down a path put me back at Yew Tree Tarn, and after a few photo’s the car.
Last edited by canisp on Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Re: Black Fell, Holme Fell and Tarn Hows

Postby GarryH » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:38 pm

Great photo`s again canisp still love the low angle ones you take across the water (BF6&BF18)
GarryH

Postby mountain coward » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:33 am

Were those Tarn Hows ones taken the other day? I'm really surprised if they were as we were only up there last week and it was frozen solid - just looked like a very white flat field... and the path round the edge was snow about 10 inches thick! I'll scan my photos soon and put them on my other Tarn Hows post for comparison...
mountain coward

Postby canisp » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:54 pm

GarryH wrote:……still love the low angle ones you take across the water (BF6&BF18)

Thanks Garry……

mc wrote:Were those Tarn Hows ones taken the other day? I'm really surprised if they were as we were only up there last week and it was frozen solid
Yes they were taken on the 10 March, the past few days have been noticeably warmer and the 10th felt like a summers day, the snow is disappearing fast :( :(
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby mountain coward » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:51 am

Very fast at that rate... I'm quite glad really - I'm getting sick of it and will have plenty more on my trip next week to Scotland I think (plus gales apparently and unfortunately :( )

I've scanned my snowy/icy pics of Tarn Hows so will add them to my thread hopefully this week if I get chance to get online at home...
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland