walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Gambia,Abuko and Tanji Nature Reserves.

The Gambia,Abuko and Tanji Nature Reserves.

Postby PauloUK77 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:55 pm

Date walked: 16/12/2002

Time taken: 4

Distance: 10 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

During a trip to West Africa i visited a few places in The Gambia including the capital Banjul,Gambia river,Serekunda and Fort Bullen but a walk in Tanji Nature reserve stood out as my favourite.
This reserve is on a stretch of unspoilt coastline and includes over 250 bird species and3 types of monkey.The Abuko reserve also has Nile crocodiles living wild.
scan0008.jpg
Banjul,The Gambia's capital city.

scan0009.jpg
One of many Termite mounds in Tanji Nature Reserve.

scan0011.jpg
Tanji Nature Reserve is right on an unspoilt stretch of coastline.

scan0012.jpg
A wild Nile Crocodile,i got as close as i dare before he made it clear he wasn't happy.

scan0013.jpg
A curious monkey

scan0014.jpg
The curious monkey sat on the trail in front of us.
PauloUK77
Munro compleatist

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland