walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - On The Pigs Back

Canada - On The Pigs Back

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:29 pm

Date walked: 07/10/2013

Time taken: 6

Distance: 17.4 km

Ascent: 708m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Catch up hike 2 of 3 ......

This hike seems to be twice as far as it actually is and feels as if it has twice the ascent than it actually has. In truth it has been a slow year for me in terms of hiking and my fitness has fallen off as a result, but even so this hike was a tough slog on a day of blizzard conditions and grey clouds above.

I began from a small car park just off Mt Shark Road which leaves the Smith-Dorrien Trail (highway 742) at Mt Engadine Lodge. I had the place to myself as I expected, leaving my truck which is now sporting winter wheels and tyres I headed off down the cutline on a well trodden trail.

It is easy going along the cutline and Commonwealth Peak is soon in view though some distance away, to ascend my target for the day 'The Pigs Back' I will have to climb to the col between Commonwealth Peak and The Pigs Back.

getting toward the 2 km mark I see the small cairn that shows the junction with the Tryst Lake trail which Sarah and I hiked on my Birthday last year. That turned into a real scramble in places and it made me smile thinking about it as the first snow shower of the day blew through the cutting causing me to zip up the fleece.

A short while later I reach the junction where , contrary to the obvious choice of the right hand trail leading toward Commonwealth Peak, I need to take the left hand one leading away in order to get there....strange I know but take it from me that it is required.

The trail drops down to Commonwealth Creek where a dodgy crossing is made and I escape still dry by some fluke, once over the creek the trail rises again and reaches an open cutblock area where some blue sky attempts to break out.

Turning right at the cutblock area I am now heading toward Commonwealth Lake and Peak, it's a steep climb through dense forest but there is a good trail the whole way to the lake.

On arrival at the lake I drop down to the waters edge to take a look at the spot where I crashed through the ice in February this year when I first set out to climb the pigs back. Needless to say, being chest deep in a mountain lake in February was enough to bring that day to a swift end.

Across the lake I can now see my target sitting in front of Commonwealth Peak, from here it becomes obvious why I have to walk around the base to the far side before ascending.

from close to the Southern end of the lake I see the beautiful golden hues of autumnal trees spreading up the flanks of The Pigs Back along the route I presume I need to take.

The trail only runs a very short distance from the end of the lake before disappearing, it doesn't present any hardship in terms of route finding as the mountain is directly ahead but the underfoot conditions are much more difficult here

I work my way into a nice gully that acts as a water run off in the springtime, the footing is better here and the ascent is straightforward.

The snow continues to blow through in waves leaving spots all over my photos initially making me think my sensor needed cleaning. The trees look beautiful and how I wish I had some blue sky to compliment these wonderful colours.

Turning to look back toward the lake shows the snow further along the valley, it is getting much steeper now and I'm beginning to wonder if it will be worth the effort today.

The Pigs Back peeking through the trees, it was here I noted that I need to descend into a valley and then reascend to start my climb up the pigs back....I hate that!!

Ahead the sun almost made it around Commonwealth Peak and a hint of blue sky gave me just a little more hope that I might yet find some good shots here today.

As I begin my ascent I quickly realise I've started too early, the loose steep rock is a real pain and I now know I should have gone much closer to Commonwealth Peak before turning right to ascend from the southernmost end of the pigs back.....too late now though so I press on up the boulder field.

A little burst of light across the valley illuminates the beautiful autumnal scene and provides a glimpse of the potential of this area photographically.....but not today :(

Turning back to the ascent I'm beginning to think it was a good thing coming this way, I think I may be cutting a piece off the already long hike

As I reach the first ridge and scramble over it, the sun once again appears behind Commonwealth Peak and illuminates the sheer wall of rock that prevents me heading directly up from here (the top of it can be seen on right of this shot)

The snow is a pain in the butt and is making it bloody cold up here too, even so the views are still wonderful but how good would they be with that blue sky, sickening.

I begin making my way around the rock wall and thinking to myself that I've just worked really hard on a massively steep ascent for no reason at all, I could have followed the watershed right up to Commonwealth Peak and then made the ascent.

Almost around the wall now and the sunlight gives another glimpse of what I'll be missing today, with the naked eye there is more detail in the far distance here but the camera struggles to see through the snow showers

At long last I get above that damn wall and begin the final ascent, my lack of hill fitness is definitely showing now as I huff and puff up the final slopes

I was surprised to see such a sheer vertical drop off on the west side of the pigs back and gave myself a couple of feet of safe distance to allow for the gusting wind. Here I dropped my rucksack and utility belt and made the final push with a bottle of water in my pocket and my camera in my hand.

The first view as I come over the top of the pointed ridge is a skyline of summits in all directions....and all washed out by snowstorms, I'm beginning to think I may have to make this hike again.

looking back along the ridge to the south shows Commonwealth Peak not quite so dominating now, just behind here is the wonder that is Burstall Pass, that I hiked last year, it is actually possible to make a loop here around these peaks and onto the pass but it would be a long day.

looking west from the edge of the ridge I try to work out the potential descent route to commonwealth creek but it looks very wet and boggy down there and with light fading fast I decide to stick to the trail I know on the way out.

looking southwest I can see Smuts Pass that goes through to Birdwood Lakes, and for the fitter hikers offers the potential to go around Mt Birdwood and onto Burstall Pass

As I look along the ridge I see another cairn and though the snow persists I decide to make the additional hike along the top as far as that cairn for my 'evidence shot'

It's pretty much a level wander along the top and its nice to be free of my bags and just strolling on flat ground over to the final spot of the day, the gps reads just a little over 8.5 km

The lump opposite is named 'The Fist' and from one point on the road below it really does resemble one, from here it really does not. Behind the fist is Tent Ridge which remains one of my favourite hikes here, just for the spectacular views

A look back form the final cairn as a little blue sky helps brighten the shot, I believe this ridge could rival tent ridge for views on a better day.

The snow really starts to hammer down as I wait around hoping for a clearing in the cloud, temperatures have plummeted and I'm glad I brought along the coat,hat and gloves today

I'm not sure why I was so wonky in this shot, I think I was using the cairn to stabilise myself against the wind gusts and it was a bit low for the purpose.

beyond the cairn the ridge falls away to a little point, I deliberate about going down to it and decide that as I'm here I have to, I would have done it if the skies were clear and its only another few hundred metres

From the point the view is actually pretty good, even with the cloud, the light across the valley is beautiful and Spray Lakes Reservoir is still visible as is Mt Nestor on the opposite bank

After this I decide to call it a day and get going as I only have two hours now before sunset (I started late today and days are shorter now which I forgot) Heading back past the furthest cairn as a real blizzard blows through.

As I drop down to my bags the wind is whipping snow in all directions and sleet is pounding my head, it stays that way for most of my descent until I hit the valley and get tucked into the trees. As I make my way past the lake and through the forest it is getting very dark and the howling of the local critters keeps the hairs standing on the back of my neck.

To cap off the day as I attempt to cross Commonwealth Creek I slip on a wet rock and fall forward, luckily I plant a walking pole firm enough to prevent a full bath but I'm in the creek to my knees. I make the final 3.5 km soggily slopping along with one broken walking pole, it is now dark and there is a single wolf howling frequently nearby.....I feel like Liam Neeson in that movie 'The Grey'

Ultimately I make it back to the truck unmolested, though I confess to having two bear bangers in hand the whole way. All in all this was still a great hike but I might have to do it all again just to get those views in better conditions.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - On The Pigs Back

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:00 pm

Like a no 47 bus, you wait ages on 1 and 2 come at the same time. :wink: .

Really enjoyed this one Chris, the hairs on my back were standing up reading this.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby L-Hiking » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:28 pm

Wolves and Bear bangers!

Jeeez man :roll:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:43 am

That sounded like a great hike and even thought the weather was not perfect for taking photos I still really like the yellow leaves against the while snow with the snow clouds above! :)
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby HighlandSC » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:14 pm

Great stuff, a bit of a mini-epic one! Glad you made it back unmolested :lol:
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:02 pm

So you do get clouds in Canada :wink: I think the weather adds to the drama of the photos, which are excellent as always.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:08 am

gammy leg walker wrote:Like a no 47 bus, you wait ages on 1 and 2 come at the same time. :wink: .
Really enjoyed this one Chris, the hairs on my back were standing up reading this.

:lol: Cheers Gammy, I was honestly a little worried wandering the forest in the dark (there are some wicked critters over here) :shock:

L-Hiking wrote:Wolves and Bear bangers! Jeeez man :roll:

There's always the wolves....just you can't usually hear em :lol: I have bear bangers and flares on every trip, actually had to use them once too....I felt bad for the bear :lol: ....lets not even start on the cougars :shock:

Mountainlove wrote:That sounded like a great hike and even thought the weather was not perfect for taking photos I still really like the yellow leaves against the while snow with the snow clouds above! :)

Thanks ML, it was a really good hike and I suspect would have some truly spectacular views on a clear day, the walk out was a bit eerie though :lol:
HighlandSC wrote:Great stuff, a bit of a mini-epic one! Glad you made it back unmolested :lol:

Thanks Scott, being in the dark in the back country here is bloody spooky :lol:
johnkaysleftleg wrote:So you do get clouds in Canada :wink: I think the weather adds to the drama of the photos, which are excellent as always.

Thanks JK, one of these shots I really like, the rest of them just tell the tale I guess (but then that is why they are there I suppose) The one I like is taken from the point at the summit looking to Spray lake and Mt Nestor.
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:34 am

Glad there were no major mishaps at the end of what seemed a tough day. The howling of the wolf would've frightened the life out of me :lol:

It was interesting to see the not so perfect weather provided you with some fantastic photos :thumbup:
I loved them and you still had great views :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby StevenF » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:59 am

Complaining about those views? Audacious :-)

Good to see your reports again, every time I finish reading one of your reports I'm thinking "that's decided then, I'm going to Canada" 8)
StevenF
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:77   

Postby ChrisW » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:31 am

SusieThePensioner wrote:Glad there were no major mishaps at the end of what seemed a tough day. The howling of the wolf would've frightened the life out of me :lol:

It was interesting to see the not so perfect weather provided you with some fantastic photos :thumbup:
I loved them and you still had great views :D

Thanks Susie, I love the sound of the wolves I really do....but it does make the hairs stand up on your neck when you are still deep in the forest :shock:

StevenF wrote:Complaining about those views? Audacious :-)
Good to see your reports again, every time I finish reading one of your reports I'm thinking "that's decided then, I'm going to Canada" 8)

I think I've been spoiled Steven :lol: If you get the opportunity to visit Canada grab it with both hands, the Canadian Rockies are an incredible sight and so vast it beggars belief :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby PeteR » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:59 pm

A good report and still some great photos despite the conditions Chris :D Always amazed at how spectacular the mountains look over in Canada. They might be a bit smaller here in Scotland, but than goodness the worst we have to deal with is mountain hare and grouse :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:11 pm

PeteR wrote:A good report and still some great photos despite the conditions Chris :D Always amazed at how spectacular the mountains look over in Canada. They might be a bit smaller here in Scotland, but than goodness the worst we have to deal with is mountain hare and grouse :lol:

Cheers Pete.....don't forget those damn midges....they're the worst over there mate :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland