walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Just a Sail away

Just a Sail away

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:21 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Ling Fell, Rannerdale Knotts, Sale Fell

Date walked: 19/01/2014

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 700m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For the first trip of the year we decided to mop up a few of the remaining north western fells leaving us with only one more to complete the book. Sale and Ling Fell are probably always climbed as a pair given their location, separated from the Lords Seat fells by one of Lakelands largest bogs and the fact that both are on the small side. So small in fact that even climbing both doesn't come anywhere near filling a day so we planned to head down to Rannerdale Knotts after bagging them.

I've always viewed these two fells as a bit of an inconvenience to be got out of the way but in practice they provided a very nice few hours punctuated by lunch sat in the car between the two at Brumston Bridge.

Starting out by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Along the old Corpse Road by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Light hits Sale Fell by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Light on Distant Fells by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Easy this fell bagging by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Broom Fell with Dark skies behind by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Looking towards Sale Fell on the way down by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Sale Fell is the better of the two in my opinion with a raised platform for a summit giving nice views over to other fells and the pleasant dry grassy expanses of Sale Fell it'self. It even had some mini crags on the way down to provide a bit of interest. The descent from both these diminutive fells provided a bit of a challenge as all the rain of late had left some very slippy sections that lead to some skiddy bum slides. :lol:

Moody by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Lakeland Light by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Towards Ling Fell on the way up Sale Fell by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Gloomy Skiddaw by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Family summit shot by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The deadly duo on Sale Fell by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

With plenty of time left in the day we kept with the plan and drove around to Rannerdale to bag another Lakeland little'un in the shape of Rannerdale Knotts. The rain started on the 20 minute drive and got quite heavy for a time meaning we set off with water proofs, thankfully the weather gods were kind however and it cleared up nicely before we got to the top for coffee and cake. :D The contrast between the first two of the day and this fell is quite marked, especially if you tackle it direct from the road. It's a punishingly steep pull up that is really quite lose for one section and it certainly didn't look like a great idea to descend this way following rain. This mini fell has some impressive crags and even more impressive views over Crummock water up to Buttermere and across to the soaring peaks of the main bulk of the North western fells.
We continued along the pleasant ridge to the col with Whiteless Pike before making our way back to the car through the delightful Rannerdale that impresses even without it's bluebells.

Clearing up by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Hughie taking a breather by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Over to Mellbreak by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Towering fells by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Grace and; Hughie on Rannerdale Kotts by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Searchlight by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Looking across Crummock Water by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Island by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Comb Crags catches some light by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Drama over High Stile by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Into Darkness by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Looking back along to Rannerdale Knotts by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Whiteless Pike and Squat Beck by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Yet another great day out in the Lakes leaving us with only one more fell to complete the volume on the North Western Fells. That fell, Sail with it's controversial zig zags, is annoyingly right in the middle of the area. :roll: Fortunately Hughie hasn't done Causey Pike, Scar Crags and Outerside so at least it will be all new for him.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Just a Sail away

Postby mrssanta » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:52 pm

lovely! I specially like the picture of the island
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby clivegrif » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:36 pm

Beautiful set of pictures, captures the place wonderfully - and I agree that Island pic is first class.

Also good to see Hughie in fine form!
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby DaveB1 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:56 pm

Hi JKLL, Nice report and you were pretty lucky with the weather. Great pics as usual with the team looking good! We're off to pick off the remaining Northern Fells for my mate Jim this Sunday, so Its Dodd, Binsey then Longlands and Brae Fell :lol: Fingers crossed for the weather, but could be a wet one! Dave
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:26 am

Wonderful light captured perfectly in those shots JK, love them all :clap: I particularly liked the family summit shot and that cracker of Hughie taking a breather...absolutely awesome shots throughout a great TR :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:04 pm

clivegrif wrote:Beautiful set of pictures, captures the place wonderfully - and I agree that Island pic is first class.

Also good to see Hughie in fine form!

mrssanta wrote:lovely! I specially like the picture of the island

Thank you both, perhaps that's my next photo of the month entry :think:

DaveB1 wrote:Hi JKLL, Nice report and you were pretty lucky with the weather. Great pics as usual with the team looking good! We're off to pick off the remaining Northern Fells for my mate Jim this Sunday, so Its Dodd, Binsey then Longlands and Brae Fell :lol: Fingers crossed for the weather, but could be a wet one! Dave

Thanks Dave, the weather looks a bit dodgy on Saturday but at least none of those fells are bog fests :thumbup:

ChrisW wrote:Wonderful light captured perfectly in those shots JK, love them all :clap: I particularly liked the family summit shot and that cracker of Hughie taking a breather...absolutely awesome shots throughout a great TR :clap:

Thanks Chris you are most kind :D
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:42 pm

A great way to spend a family day out! Lovely photos and just love the one of Hughie :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:37 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:A great way to spend a family day out! Lovely photos and just love the one of Hughie :thumbup:

Thanks Susie, it was a rare moment to get him to pose for a few seconds :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Ibex » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:32 pm

Your mopping up these fells nicely so far, in 2014.
Hughie looks in fine form, as usual. Bless him and his little legs. Although the little bugger is WAY ahead of me! :lol:

More fantastic photo's, as usual. The sunburst over the top of the hills is great. Though with the darker photo's, it kind of reminds me of the eye of Sauron, from Lord Of The Rings.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:05 am

Ibex wrote:Your mopping up these fells nicely so far, in 2014.
Hughie looks in fine form, as usual. Bless him and his little legs. Although the little bugger is WAY ahead of me! :lol:

More fantastic photo's, as usual. The sunburst over the top of the hills is great. Though with the darker photo's, it kind of reminds me of the eye of Sauron, from Lord Of The Rings.

Thanks Ibex, I'm trying to organize a Lakes meet up weekend April 12th this year so perhaps me and Hugh can help you bag a few more :D
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Ibex » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:40 pm

That would be awesome.
I'd love to come along to a Lakes meet up. i could pick your brains about photography over a few ales. And more likely than not have it all go straight over my head. :lol:

Would be great to meet you though. Your walk reports always make me yearn for the hills.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130

Postby mikuro » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:29 pm

Lovely to see someone else with small folk out on the fells. My son is almost 6 and has only one to his name but I am hoping this year for us to conquer some together being that we only live a short drive from the lakes. Completing all the Wainwrights together will be a blast! :D
mikuro
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:3   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:19 pm

mikuro wrote:Lovely to see someone else with small folk out on the fells. My son is almost 6 and has only one to his name but I am hoping this year for us to conquer some together being that we only live a short drive from the lakes. Completing all the Wainwrights together will be a blast! :D

Six is old enough to get up just about any Lakeland fell, Grace climbed Ben More on the Isle of Mull aged five. Loads of great days out to be had, just take plenty sweets!
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:36 pm

Antony

Great report and your picture's are as always truly stunning. Not sure if I can wait until April for a hike. Have you anymore half day slots before then?
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

Postby mikuro » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:29 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:
mikuro wrote:Lovely to see someone else with small folk out on the fells. My son is almost 6 and has only one to his name but I am hoping this year for us to conquer some together being that we only live a short drive from the lakes. Completing all the Wainwrights together will be a blast! :D

Six is old enough to get up just about any Lakeland fell, Grace climbed Ben More on the Isle of Mull aged five. Loads of great days out to be had, just take plenty sweets!

Food is how I tempted him up Catbells! :wink:

theocatbells.jpg
mikuro
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:3   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland