walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Snowdon Horseshoe

Snowdon Horseshoe

Postby CharlesT » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:26 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Crib Goch, Crib y Ddysgl, Snowdon - Yr Wyddfa, Y Lliwedd

Date walked: 14/11/2011

Time taken: 7

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Just discovered an old file with photos of my penultimate day bagging the Welsh Hewitts and the Welsh 2000' tops as covered by the Nuttalls and as it was such a brilliant day weatherwise, thought I would share them. The trip round the horseshoe itself was rather uneventful, Crib Goch was bone dry and there was little wind so sashaying along the ridge was in order, much to the chagrin of a following party who were rather more circumspect :) .

As it was mid-November I didn't have much time to hang about, so grabbed what pics I could and kept moving. Snowdon summit was typically busy (where do they all come from, mid-week in mid-November :o ). Completed the full round finishing over Gallt y Wenallt and back to the car just as dusk was turning to night. Excellent trip and set me up nicely for my completion of the Welsh 2000'ers the following day on the western Snowdonia hills.

Crib Goch1.jpg
On the Crib Goch ridge

Crib Goch2.jpg
Looking back to Crib Goch

Crib Goch4.jpg
Zoomed out shot of Crib Goch

Crib y Ddysgl1.jpg
Next objective Crib y Ddysgl looking formidable

Crib y Ddysgl2.jpg
Approaching Crib y Ddysgl summit, Snowdon ahead

Y Lliwed5.jpg
On Snowdon summit looking at Y Lliwedd

Herring Gull on Snowdon Top.jpg
The Sandwich Snatcher of Snowdon

Y Lliwed3.jpg
Snowdon and Y Lliwedd

Y LLiwed1.jpg
Y Lliwedd from Snowdon

Moel Eilio1.jpg
West from the summit of Snowdon
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Snowdon Horseshoe

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:24 pm

Some real stunning shots Charles, certainly a day to remember.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby clivegrif » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:34 pm

Wow Charles - thats certainly a day to remember on one of the great routes in Wales.

You don't get many like that. Great pictures.
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby CharlesT » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:40 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Some real stunning shots Charles, certainly a day to remember.

Thank you very much - praise indeed from a photographer of your ability - hard to credit it in Wales but I had three consecutive days of that weather in mid-November! If I have any more pics from the other days I'll put them up.

I can remember it mostly from a running conversation I had with another walker climbing Crib Goch about old climbers we both knew from our youth which came to an abrupt end when we reached the ridge and he had to hang back to persuade his daughter that she really could get across it :) He did succeed, eventually.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Postby CharlesT » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:50 pm

clivegrif wrote:Wow Charles - thats certainly a day to remember on one of the great routes in Wales.

You don't get many like that. Great pictures.

Thanks Clive, I was incredibly lucky. Had intended to complete on Snowdon but couldn't get the logistics right, so completed next day on Moel Eilio - not a great hill, but nice views :)
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:50 am

Great report and wonderful photos of what must be a rare November day in Wales :shock: Love the 'Sandwich snatcher of Snowdon' :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby CharlesT » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:02 am

ChrisW wrote:Great report and wonderful photos of what must be a rare November day in Wales :shock: Love the 'Sandwich snatcher of Snowdon' :lol: :lol:

Thanks Chris. Actually had three days running of that weather - in Wales :D

The Sandwich Snatcher was well up to his job - and quick and fearless :lol:
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:57 pm

CharlesT wrote:
johnkaysleftleg wrote:Some real stunning shots Charles, certainly a day to remember.

Thank you very much - praise indeed from a photographer of your ability - hard to credit it in Wales but I had three consecutive days of that weather in mid-November! If I have any more pics from the other days I'll put them up.

I can remember it mostly from a running conversation I had with another walker climbing Crib Goch about old climbers we both knew from our youth which came to an abrupt end when we reached the ridge and he had to hang back to persuade his daughter that she really could get across it :) He did succeed, eventually.

I've often wondered about Crib Goch, is it possible for a coward :shifty: to make it to the summit, bag the 3000ft peak and retreat with there tails between there legs without encountering anything too scary?
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby CharlesT » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:17 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:
CharlesT wrote:

I've often wondered about Crib Goch, is it possible for a coward :shifty: to make it to the summit, bag the 3000ft peak and retreat with there tails between there legs without encountering anything too scary?

The scrambling is really quite straightforward and the ridge can be traversed by a slightly lower route with your hands on the ridge edge. It is exposed and in strong wind and/or rain or clag it's a much tougher prospect. Once you've bagged this you might as well bag the others too, much less tricky. Wouldn't take Hughie up there though.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland