walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blencathra

Blencathra

Postby colgregg » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:38 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Blencathra

Hewitts included on this walk: Blencathra

Date walked: 23/03/2010

Time taken: 5

Distance: 11 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the snow clearing from the tops and today looking to be the best day this week for weather I decided it was time for my first foray of the year to the Lakes. Blencathra was ideal as it's straight up the a66 for me and I wanted to be back at the car before the forecasted rain came. Had I been alone I would have done Sharp edge but as I had my son with me decided to give it a miss and head off up Halls fell. This is the most direct way to the summit, and a good ridge it is too, with opportunity to leave the path and do a bit of easy scrambling in short stretches. When we set off there was a cap of ominous black cloud sitting on the summit but this cleared well before we arrived at the cairn. Once on the top it was an easy promenade to Knowe crags on Blease Fell with a complete panorama of the mountains to the south of us. Doubling back we then headed for the top of Foule Crag to get a birds eye view of the dramatic Sharp Edge and Scales tarn at it's base. We dropped down (not literally!!)- mind you if Mr Hinkes can have an accident in the lakes then anyone can- to the tarn. Scales tarn is an idyllic resting spot I could have spent ages there but time was pressing. We then followed the path across the foot of Scales fell. Walking on past Doddick fell we reached the car as the first drops of rain started to fall, impeccable timing.
While I Enjoyed today, In the lakes most fells are remote and relatively noise free so it was strange to be climbing while the overriding sound was the traffic on the A66 at the base of the mountain.
030.JPG
Halls Fell Ridge

058.JPG
Derwenwater and the North West Fells

063.JPG
Sharp Edge

067.JPG
Scales Tarn with Sharp Edge towering over it.

033.JPG
Doddick Fell (centre) ridge also looks to be an interesting way up Blencathra.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Blencathra

Postby mountain coward » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:45 am

Doddick Fell's really nice - but I think nowadays would be better in ascent rather than descent as it's getting pretty loose and eroded towards the top nowadays unfortunately...
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland