walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canada - Chester Lake - How Winter Should Be.

Canada - Chester Lake - How Winter Should Be.

Postby ChrisW » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:06 pm

Date walked: 26/02/2014

Time taken: 2.5

Distance: 8.1 km

Ascent: 409m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the mercury rising to -4 in the afternoon today there was only one place I was going to be, Kananaskis. I made the long journey along highway 40 and around the southern tip of the Kananaskis Range to reach the Smith - Dorrien Trail before heading back up the other side of that wonderful mountain range on the wide frozen road.

It's an awkward journey to reach the Smith -Dorrien Trail from Calgary, with the long chain of mountains in the Kananaskis Range you first need to journey 50km south on highway 40 only to round the tip of the mountain chain and return 25km up the other side...but all the way the scenery keeps you transfixed.

The highlight of the trip this time was a moose crossing the road who decided to jog at an angle on a snow bank to get out of the way, as he did his legs skittled sidewards and he went down like a lead balloon, as I stopped to grab a photo he got in a right old panic and bounced around in the snow for a few seconds before regaining his feet and charging off through the forest long before I could get a shot.

I've made this journey many times now but each time I am in awe of this wonderful part of the world. The frozen empty road allows for reasonable speed and I'm soon arriving at the car park signed 'Chester Lake'.

There are quite a few cars in the car park but no sign of the associated people, I was packed and ready for off around 12:30, perfect timing for the warm up, the temperature reading hadn't shifted much from -16 until after 11:30 but in the next hour it climbed quickly as predicted.

I'd made it all of 100 metres when it became clear that the winter coat was going to be too much, and as the trail was so well compacted the snowshoes were overkill too (for this section at least) I stopped within sight of the car park and unbundled. The Jacket went into the rucksack and the snowshoes strapped to it...I was off again.

It's a nice steady climb up and away from the car park, the base snowpack is close to 2 metres and thought the trail is well compacted any side step from it leads to waist deep sinking which is pretty funny.......once!!

Even though the ascent is very gradual a look behind me shows wonderful views opening up toward Mt Burstall. Chester Lake car park is directly opposite the incredibly beautiful Burstall Pass which remains my favourite Canadian hike so far.

Back on with my hike to Chester Lake, I'd selected this hike because it is known as a great snowshoe trail. I'm obviously not expecting to see the lake today but I do want to get a feel for the location and potential future summer hikes from here, and if it's easy enough, maybe a family picnic spot.

The real beauty of hikes in these conditions is the cold crisp air, incredibly deep snow and mile upon mile of untrodden pristine ground that just cries out to be photographed.

This is the first time I've been hiking with my Christmas present from Sarah (a Sony A7R Mirrorless Camera) I was waiting for a specific lens before I finally put down my bulky DSLR and huge glass that sits in front of it and moved to this tiny little thing with a 24 -70mm lens the size of a cup....it feels odd, but it is so light I hardly notice I have it with me. The full frame sensor means I should lose nothing over my DSLR. After post production I think it will make an excellent hiking/everyday camera right now, and perhaps at some point in the future will entirely replace my DSLR and associated kit.....but not quite yet. Image

after a while I reach a strange junction with a 'one way' sign, what the hell is a one way sign doing on a hiking trail you ask, well my assumption is that it is a shared use trail and skiers will be charging down it, so a one way system helps to prevent collisions between skiers and hikers.

The forest is beautiful with swags of snow hanging from boughs and the familiar squeak of the cold dry snow the only sound to accompany my breathing. I come across another sign which says Chester Lake Trail with an arrow pointing up the hill and one pointing down, I pay little attention and head up because down looks to be going back towards the car park.

Though it's only early afternoon the long shadows persist because of the angle of winter sun here, the jacket is still in my backpack and the snowshoes still strapped on it. The day is really warming and walking is easy on the packed snow.

The natural elements repeatedly align themselves like a picture postcard providing beautiful windows that open out to show the incredible vistas, here Mt Chester and its outliers as well as that wonderful winter sky, devoid of cloud of any sort and so bright that sunglasses are a must for the entire day.

I can't help but wonder what fills these open spaces when the snow has gone, are they wet boggy areas or beautiful mountain meadows filled with wildflowers, what an image they would make if they were the latter.

To my left (North) is the back of Mt Galatea and its associated outliers, I say the 'back' only because I have hiked to it from the other side on my wonderful summer wander to Galatea Lakes in September 2012 and as there is a trail to it I assume that's the 'front'

After a nice long level section I'm staring along the valley into the corrie that holds Chester Lake, the jagged peaks along the south side and the point of windy peak in the east make a perfect bowl in which the lake sits.

Though virtually invisible in the massive landscape, there are three people in snowshoes heading off across the valley toward the sun, this looks like a circular descent route though when I check my map they seem to be on the route I thought I was on??? Not sure what happened there but at least it means I now have some new scenery for the descent.

I head off toward the lake (or where the lake is buried under the snow) deciding to make a full circuit, as I do the sun forces a couple of small avalanches off the face of Mt Chester and though small they make a tremendous noise. Image

Behind me the sun is working hard to warm the day and as I turn to grab a shot I can actually feel the heat from it, its a great feeling almost like a spring day....but we are some way from that yet.

The creek that runs from Chester Lake is still liquid and has worked a beautiful horseshoe in the snow, the trail goes incredibly close to it considering the amount of collapse that is occurring beside it and I scurry past on the left side of the trail toward the skiers standing a hundred metres ahead.

After chatting to the skiers for a little while (two of which were pulling infants in awesome little ski carts) I find out the reason for the shallow and extended ascent, my map says 3.5 km but GPS says 5.1km because I walked up the cross country ski trail...ooops.
Luckily the snow is well packed and I didn't leave great footprints all over it, they tell me that many people do it here (as evidenced by the footprints) As it turns out the small sign way back that points both up and down the hill is where I should have gone back down toward the car park, it goes down for about 200 metres and then turns back uphill apparently but logically that just doesn't work which is probably why people make the mistake.

After a pleasant chat I head off to the lake for an overview. There are absolutely no places to stop and sit a while without actually sitting in the middle of the trail so I decide to carry on an make the circuit back to the car park...I confess I'm glad I took the wrong turn as it allows me a different route out but I swear it was accidental. Image

I'm soon on my way out and taking a last look back over the pristine landscape. The 'official' snowshoe trail is equally compact and my snowshoes still remain on my pack doing nothing but adding weight.

Heading back across the untrodden open space I realise I have to (at least) make a reason for carrying my snowshoes around all day, so I put them on, leave my pack on the trail and have a run around laughing to myself about how this is exactly what Sarah would do here....she can't stand to see a bit of untrodden snow :)

As I approach the forest there are tracks all over the place where others have had their runaround but I now have the familiar signs with the little dude and his tennis racquet feet to keep me in check.

The snow in the forest is incredibly deep but the trail is well packed and I'm quickly putting the snowshoes back on the rucksack and going back to easy wandering.

At every opening where untrodden snow awaits, someone has put on their snowshoes and gone for a rampage around, it makes me laugh that so many of us a kids at heart.

A guy on skis came slithering up and we exchange pleasantries before he asked where the ski trail is?? he'd taken the downhill arrow at that sign in the forest as it looked 'easier' the poor bloke looked exhausted and explained that there was a significant climb just ahead (which would be a descent for me) I told him of my error and that he was in for a nice steady route from now onward, I watched him slither off toward Chester Lake before continuing.

He was right about that descent, it really was bloody steep and I could see the shape of his boot prints where he'd 'kicked in' on the ascent. I met a couple from Quebec on here and Mrs Q was not impressed, she asked me (through puffs and pants) how much further it was, I worked it out on the GPS for her and pointed out that they had a good level run in soon. I told them about the flat trails across the road from here and that Sarah preferred them as they were easy going, I'd prefer them too says Mrs Q staring at Mr Q as she did !! They gave me some great info about visiting Quebec and I hope Sarah and I can put that to good use at some point in the future.

Eventually the trail met up with the shared ski/snowshoe trail and opened out to give a lovely final stretch in an easy stroll back to the car park

There were few vehicles left in the car park even though it was only 3pm, the upside of that is nobody saw me slip on my ass just feet from my filthy truck, no damage done and it felt like karma for laughing so much at that poor moose on the way here.
So, that was Chester Lake. A wonderful, easy winter day in stunning surroundings; a very gentle ascent thanks to a wrong turn and some good pics from the new hiking camera and me and the moose are even. Strangely enough when I got home we saw a moose and her calf outside the house....I swear she nodded at me :)
Last edited by ChrisW on Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Canada - Chester Lake - How Winter Should Be.

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:56 pm

Truly stunning set of pictures you have there Chris you must think you have died and gone to heaven with some of the views you see.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:06 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Truly stunning set of pictures you have there Chris you must think you have died and gone to heaven with some of the views you see.

Cheers Gammy, I often think that out here mate, it is a truly beautiful place in all seasons
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:26 pm

Superb once again Chris. The new camera takes just as good photos as your DSLR. I use to carry my old camera in my pocket but with the new one have to put in in a carry case round my waist which is taking a bit of getting use to.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:11 am

A great lift for the spirits to see such sights Chris. As you probably know it's been a stinker of a wet and windy winter in the UK, not so much as a single flake where I live.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby malky_c » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:47 am

More jealousy than normal from the UK, you won't be surprised to hear, as we've had very little in the way of blue sky days this winter!

Great photos and scenery as ever, although those temperatures might take a bit of getting used to :shock: .

Anyway, shouldn't moan, as this weekend has been relatively good, and I'm about to head north for the day :) .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby ChrisW » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:09 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Superb once again Chris. The new camera takes just as good photos as your DSLR. I use to carry my old camera in my pocket but with the new one have to put in in a carry case round my waist which is taking a bit of getting use to.

Cheers JC, I've got a waist level bag and find it makes for easy access to the camera....it did take some getting used too though :roll:

johnkaysleftleg wrote:A great lift for the spirits to see such sights Chris. As you probably know it's been a stinker of a wet and windy winter in the UK, not so much as a single flake where I live.

Thanks JK, watching winter over there did wonders for homesickness in our household :lol:

malky_c wrote:More jealousy than normal from the UK, you won't be surprised to hear, as we've had very little in the way of blue sky days this winter!

Great photos and scenery as ever, although those temperatures might take a bit of getting used to :shock: .

Anyway, shouldn't moan, as this weekend has been relatively good, and I'm about to head north for the day :) .

Cheers Malky, it's back to the -30's for 5 days now, but Thurs/Fri might see a lift to -5ish so I'm eyeing a spot later in the week. We really love the winter here but sometimes you do have to just accept it's too damn cold to do almost anything :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:45 pm

Fantastic as always... White snow, blue sky and the crispy sunshine - I call it "meowing weather" :D However, driving on such snowy roads must be painfully slow?

I must agree with Malky, very few days like that in Scotland this winter :( Last year was great for winter walking, so I guess we're just getting punished now for having had too much of perfect conditions in 2013 :lol: :lol:

We still managed to do some snow swimming... ehm... I mean: hillwalking last weekend :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby westcoasthiker » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:48 pm

Oh, the beautiful blue sky and sunshine, not to mention all that snow! Out here on the west (read wet) coast our mountains are suffering from lack of snow. A month ago our cabin had no snow and now we have less than a meter, definitely not the usual amount. Great trip report, Chris
westcoasthiker
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:26   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:46 am

BlackPanther wrote:Fantastic as always... White snow, blue sky and the crispy sunshine - I call it "meowing weather" :D However, driving on such snowy roads must be painfully slow?

I must agree with Malky, very few days like that in Scotland this winter :( Last year was great for winter walking, so I guess we're just getting punished now for having had too much of perfect conditions in 2013 :lol: :lol:

We still managed to do some snow swimming... ehm... I mean: hillwalking last weekend :wink:

Thanks BP, the snow here is different to the stuff at home, there's virtually no moisture in it at all (it squeaks like polystyrene when you walk on it) so with proper winter tires 80-100 kmh (50/60mph) along that road is fine :shock: that might seem alien to our thinking but it really is a safe comfortable speed on there (the fact that its a gravel road also helps) and when there's nobody else around it's easy to go a lot faster :wink:

westcoasthiker wrote:Oh, the beautiful blue sky and sunshine, not to mention all that snow! Out here on the west (read wet) coast our mountains are suffering from lack of snow. A month ago our cabin had no snow and now we have less than a meter, definitely not the usual amount. Great trip report, Chris

Thanks WCH, I didn't know you guys were short of the white stuff, if anything I think we've had more this year (in the mountains) I came over to Vancouver in June with my wife, we had a great time and did a ton of stuff in just a few days, really enjoyed it :D I stopped over in Hope and hiked Hope Mountain and the Othello Tunnels Trail (don't think I've posted them here) You can see the whole trip on my blog :wink: http://onejourney.weebly.com/2/category/vancouver/1.html
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:46 am

A beautiful set of true winter photos. You are very lucky to have such picturesque scenery to photograph.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby Riverman » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:17 pm

Wow... just wow!! That is a spectacular landscape, beautifully photographed.
Riverman
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:87
Wainwrights:4   Islands:4

Postby ChrisW » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:22 am

Sarah86 wrote:A beautiful set of true winter photos. You are very lucky to have such picturesque scenery to photograph.

Thanks Sarah, I'm truly spoiled around here.....and I love it :lol:

Riverman wrote:Wow... just wow!! That is a spectacular landscape, beautifully photographed.

Cheers Riverman, in truth it's pretty easy to get some good shots out here as mother nature seems to be on your side as you go :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:58 pm

Wonderful photos Chris :thumbup: I've been missing the blue sky, sun and snow snow snow :lol:

ChrisW wrote:I can't help but wonder what fills these open spaces when the snow has gone, are they wet boggy areas or beautiful mountain meadows filled with wildflowers, what an image they would make if they were the latter.
I hope so as well!
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:12 am

SusieThePensioner wrote:Wonderful photos Chris :thumbup: I've been missing the blue sky, sun and snow snow snow :lol:

Thanks Susie, winter here really does have its benefits even if it means waiting out the cold spells once in a while :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland