walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dales Hewitts Triple

Dales Hewitts Triple

Postby Broggy1 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:26 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Darnbrook Fell, Fountains Fell, Pen-y-ghent

Date walked: 09/03/2014

Time taken: 4.25

Distance: 21.7 km

Ascent: 945m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I've had my eye on the two Hewitts south of Pen-y-ghent for a while now having previously done Pen-y on it's own twice and once with Plover Hill.

I wanted to make a slightly longer route of it that avoided the high start near Dale Head so opted to begin at Horton Church and follow initially the brackenbottom route up Pen-y-ghent before turning right at the Pennine Way and dropping down to Dale Head.

With Fountains and Darnbrook in thick mist and Pen-y cloud free, I couldn't resist the detour up the always enjoyable southern slopes of Pen-y where I was surprised to find an empty top (it was early) except for a tractor up there working on path improvements.

From there it was down the Pennine Way and back up again before diverting off to gain the true summit of Fountains Fell which was in thick mist.

I'd heard bad things about the route over to Darnbrook Fell and after all the heavy rain we've been having recently coupled with the mist on the day, I feared the worst. In reality it wasn't too bad certainly nowhere near as bad as many areas of the Trough of Bowland and it was just a case of watching every footstep and negotiating a few fence crossings.

The Trig Point on Darnbrook was eroded and the whole place felt like a lonely area to be, considering the hustle and bustle of the nearby big three.

It was now just a case of retracing my steps, following the walls and intermittent bog paths back to the Pennine Way and back down to Dale Head and back along the PW to where it meets the track for Horton.

With the sun now shining I resisted the temptation to scale Pen-y-ghent again and headed back to the car.
Last edited by Broggy1 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Re: Dales Hewitts Triple

Postby ChrisW » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:26 am

With Fountains and Darnbrook in thick mist and Pen-y cloud free, I couldn't resist the detour up the always enjoyable southern slopes of Pen-y where I was surprised to find an empty top

Hey Broggy, you must have missed ChrisG wandering about in the mist up there :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mortal » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:16 am

I did Darnbrook yesterday as well, but walked from the south, started near Malham Tarn.
mortal
Mountain Walker

Munros:22   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:161
Wainwrights:131   

Postby colgregg » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:41 am

I did Fountains and Darnbrook from Arncliffe via Malham Tarn. An overcast start to the day turned into a miserable few hours in the mist. Thankfully routefinding was easy the P.W. is a well worn track to Fountains and the fence leads you right to the summit of Darnbrook and down to Litton. I'm going to go back to do Fountains fell again before long but I think I'll skip Darnbrook Bagged it, ticked it off, job done.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland