walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blencathra on a sunny day

Blencathra on a sunny day

Postby robnixon » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:53 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Blencathra

Hewitts included on this walk: Blencathra

Date walked: 11/03/2014

Time taken: 5

Distance: 9.6 km

Ascent: 762m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As I sat in the office on Monday, I decided to take a day off work the following day to climb Blencathra. Weather was set to be perfect with high pressure sitting over the UK and no cloud forecast.
I planned to start at Threlkeld and head up Halls fell in a circular route back to the car in the village.
It was my first walk on my own, usually go with family or friends, but I had my new GPS which I had wanted to try out (Garmin GPS62s) which I had purchased at Christmas.
I left Threlkeld and headed up over the fields, through Gate Gill farm and up to Halls fell.

Not as young as fit as I used to be, it was a steep accent up, but I made a few stops to admire the spectacular views.

The summit some came into view as well as the scramble which I was looking forward to.

The aforementioned scramble was very exciting, although not sure if I would have enjoyed it so much if it had been wet!

I sat on the summit, had sandwich and watched the world go by for 20 mins and agreed it was worth the effort.

After dragging myself up, I headed left and headed towards Knowe Craggs. It was a pleasant stroll along, almost flat, expect for the snow lying on the summit slightly facing the north.

The walk I followed, had me then following no path down the hillside, but I decided to keep on going, following the new path which zig zagged down Blease fell. I met a number of people walking up this way. Each carrying large rucksacks. As I neared the bottom, I soon realised what these were carrying;

Now that was the way down I should have taken!
I made my way past Blease farm before the short walk back into Threlkheld and a pint of coke in the beer garden of the Horse & Farrier Inn. It was like a July day and I wish I hadn't needed to drive back to Newcastle so I could have sampled the local beer.
A really great day out, very happy with my GPS unit which had my track almost on the mapped paths for the entire walk.
Fourth Wainwright bagged. Only 210 to go!
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

robnixon
Mountain Walker

Munros:1   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:13   Islands:31

Re: Blencathra on a sunny day

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:18 pm

Well done for binning off work to go for a walk :clap: Great pics of what looks like a stunning day and well done on your first report.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby colgregg » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:55 pm

This looks to have been a brilliant day out. The kind of day you can wander for ages on the tops and makes you wish it wouldn't get dark.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:42 am

Great report Rob and cracking pics of a perfect day :clap: that paraglide descent looks like a fantastic idea :think:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby robnixon » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:44 am

Thanks for the feedback guys.
robnixon
Mountain Walker

Munros:1   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:13   Islands:31

Postby tony-c » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:24 pm

Well done. I love walking on my own, especially on days like that and there is nowt better that a nice pint afterwards. You should try doing the Coledale and fairfeild horse shoe walks both bag plenty of hills and both can be ended at good pubs with great beers.
tony-c
Mountain Walker

Munros:230   Corbetts:25
Fionas:6   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:129
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:23 pm

Looks like you picked a cracking day for it. There is something enjoyable about being out alone at times. Spectacular views you got.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby MarkyMark10 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:55 pm

Nice first report Rob. One of my favourite scrambles that one and brings back happy memories :clap:
MarkyMark10
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Tonyb123 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:29 pm

Well done Rob.. It looked a stunning day. i keep meaning to do the same route so this has wet my apatite a bit more now. cheers.
Tonyb123
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:114
Wainwrights:214   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland