walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fountains Fell, Darnbrook Fell

Fountains Fell, Darnbrook Fell

Postby steve » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:08 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Darnbrook Fell, Fountains Fell

Date walked: 06/03/2010

Time taken: 4

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 400m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Fountains Fell and Darnbrook Fell can be included in a longer walk (24k) taking in the summits of Pen y Ghent and Plover Fell but on a day of low cloud and deep snow on the tops I opted for a shorter route. Starting at Dale head were the narrow road has wide, but none too fim, verges I followed the Pennine Way along the road passing Rainscar to Blishmire Close where the PW leaves the road to head SE up the hill. The ascent is mild to start with and when the angle steepens the path leaves the wall and head E in a long zig to an area of old mind workings and the National trust boundary. A number of not particulaly helpful cairns and under the snow I'm sure the usual banana skins and poached up ground mark a good place to stop on the Pennine Way, had the cloud lifted I would have admired the view across to Pen y Ghent. The snow helpfully bridged the walls and gates as I followed the boundary to the top of Darnbrook Fell, a trig point just over the wall. returnig to the point where a fence runs up from the area of woods to the E I headed off on a bearing crossing some rough snow covered ground, crossing the PW to arrive at Fountains Fell Tarn. the flat snow covered tarn merged with the cloud giving a ghoustly dimentionless aspect to the scene. From the E end of the Tarn another bearing was required to reach Fountains Fell South Top, caught by the wall that crosses it. This wall was then followed to a t-junction, where the corner can be cut to the right following this boundary across the higher top and back to the Pennine Way. The outward route was then followed back to my car. Some amusement followed extricating it from the, none too firm, verge! A short day but well worth it for the walk across the snow covered moor and the strange world of the frozen tarn.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

steve

Munros:241   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:137   

Re: Fountains Fell, Darnbrook Fell

Postby mountain coward » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:46 pm

I keep looking at Fountain Fell from Penyghent... just haven't got round to doing it yet! :D
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland