walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Snowdon with the family, the Llanberis path.

Snowdon with the family, the Llanberis path.

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:52 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Snowdon - Yr Wyddfa

Date walked: 08/04/2014

Time taken: 4.8

Distance: 14.8 km

Ascent: 1021m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Yesterday, Monday 7th April, we arrived in Wales for the first time! Today Tuesday 8th April, the family wanted to climb Snowdon, and as the weather forecasters predicted today was going to be the best day of the week for hills, well that's what anybody would want to do if they were staying anywhere near to the Snowdonia National Park, isn't it! Well I guess all the other people in Wales slightly interested in climbing hills had the same idea, the car park at the start of the Pyg Track was full, so as we were there with the family we headed on West down the Llanberris Pass towards Llamberris, parked in town and walked towards the start of the Llamberris Path on the East side of the Snowdon Railway Station

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
The family getting ready and booted up
2.JPG
The road to the start of the walk
3.JPG
At the start of the road to the hillside there is a cattle grid with a passgate to the side. The tarmac road is quite steep in places, and after you turn a bend you find a small pub for your after walk refreshments, soon after passing this you pass through a small gate
3.JPG
Small gate, the tarmac road continues but you take the small gate on your left to progress on a well used rocky path which is the start of the Llamberris Path
3a.JPG
Good path most of the way
4.JPG
Looking back down the way we had come, at this point you will see the railway on your right as you climb
5.JPG
Railway tunnel where the train passes over to the left of the path
6.JPG
A train passing with all the tourists on your left
7.JPG
Halfway Station, no toilets though
8.JPG
Western cliffs of Snowdon
9.JPG
Nearly at the Clogwyn Station, where today the train did not go any further
10.JPG
The masses disembarking the train to walk the final section to the summit cairn. Now the path was to become very busy.
11.JPG
The Grandchildren on the final stretch, still smiling!
12.JPG
Passing the point where the Pyg Track connects to the summit ridge, unfortunately by now the clag has descended and very little of vies can be seen
13.JPG
Family on the summit
14.JPG
Coming off the cairn to allow the masses on for their photographs
15.JPG
Heading back down and suddenly the cloud lifts for a picture
16.JPG
View of the Clogwyn railway station
17.JPG
The train
18.JPG
The clearest it's been all day
19.JPG
Smiles at the end of the walk
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Snowdon with the family, the Llanberis path.

Postby willywalker247 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:21 pm

There are toilets at the halfway cafe they are around the back and it costs 20 pence a pee lol :lol: :lol:
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:44 pm

willywalker247 wrote:There are toilets at the halfway cafe they are around the back and it costs 20 pence a pee lol :lol: :lol:

There you are, I did not go around the back, but I saw a sign on the path side saying no toilets, so just assumed, so just goes to show, never assume :lol: :lol: A very busy hill a bit like the Ben in Scotland, next time I will be up very early on a good clear day and hope to do something a bit more adventurous :) I bet the views on top are a bit spectacular as well :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Phil the Hill » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:27 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:next time I will be up very early on a good clear day and hope to do something a bit more adventurous :) I bet the views on top are a bit spectacular as well :D

Supposedly you can see the Isle of Man. I've been up Snowdon many times over the years and it's always either clag or heat haze at the top. I've had great views from the surrounding hills, but never from Snowdon itself.

It's worth a detour off the Llanberis path on the way down to bag Llechog. You step into a different world off the crowded tourist path with a little rocky peak and a cliff-edge path above the Pass of Llanberis, which you have all to yourself. But if you're going up again without the family, do Crib Goch and the Horseshoe.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:43 pm

Phil the Hill wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:next time I will be up very early on a good clear day and hope to do something a bit more adventurous :) I bet the views on top are a bit spectacular as well :D

Supposedly you can see the Isle of Man. I've been up Snowdon many times over the years and it's always either clag or heat haze at the top. I've had great views from the surrounding hills, but never from Snowdon itself.

It's worth a detour off the Llanberis path on the way down to bag Llechog. You step into a different world off the crowded tourist path with a little rocky peak and a cliff-edge path above the Pass of Llanberis, which you have all to yourself. But if you're going up again without the family, do Crib Goch and the Horseshoe.

Hi Phil, I certainly will, I fancy the Crib Goch challenge especially since seeing the recent video posted on here, it looks interesting. :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby AbbsFooty » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:46 pm

Well done rodmiester ( grandpa) great report! It was a really good walk, and the photos show that! Thank you for posting! :clap: :) :lol: 8) :D
AbbsFooty
Mountaineer

Munros:3   
Fionas:1   

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:34 pm

AbbsFooty wrote:Well done rodmiester ( grandpa) great report! It was a really good walk, and the photos show that! Thank you for posting! :clap: :) :lol: 8) :D

Thanks AbbsFooty , a fine reminder for you, glad you enjoyed it! :D you did very well :clap: :clap:
The Rodmiester
Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland