walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lingmoor Fell

Lingmoor Fell

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:44 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Lingmoor Fell

Date walked: 15/04/2014

Time taken: 2.5

Distance: 4.41 km

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I couldn't have asked for a better day to arrive in the Lakes for our first visit this year. I had been planning another trip no knowing when I was likely to get away again. As my sister is a teacher now she isn't quite as flexible for us getting away as she used to be. Initially she didn't fancy going away over the Easter break but I am glad she changed her mind. As much as I am sure some of the giant hills would be fun I tend to pick medium/smaller hills for us when away as we have the dog with us who is going to be 11 this year and I don't want to wear her out on day one. Lingmoor Fell looked the perfect choice.

We parked at the car park next to Blea Tarn... what a wonderful view to have as we set off along the road to the white house

We turned right next to the white house and followed a faint path up hill. By now the fleece had to come off as it was rather warm.

Lovely views to the tarn

Eventually a gap in a stone wall is reach and somewhere not long after here we seemed to lose what I think would have been the proper path but we continued to head on upwards.

Even though I think we took the wrong path we could soon see the main route up and we didn't have far to go.
Before the path headed back upwards a stile had to be crossed which wasn't dog friendly! My sister lifted Penny over and gave her to me, unfortunately there was deep mud at the other side and that was where I put Penny down. I don't think she was overly impressed at being lifted over a fence and dropped in mud!

Soon the top was reached and what stunning views we were rewarded with

Summit pose!

We left the summit and headed down towards Side Pike

Wonderful views to be had

The initial plan was to continue to Side Pike and then head round Blea Tarn but we felt Penny had done well and decided to follow a small grassy path back down to the road and head back to the car.

Wonderful stone wall

Almost there

There was lots of people enjoying the glorious day around Blea Tarn

One of my favourite walks I have done In the Lake District, perhaps the beautiful weather helped but the views to the Langdale Pike were stunning.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Re: Lingmoor Fell

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:55 pm

Some wonderful photos of a fell I have very fond memories of having climbed it in the snow last Easter. Great to see Penny looking so good for her age. :)
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby tenohfive » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:20 pm

Lingmoor Fell really punches above it's weight. I did exactly the same route, including skipping Side Pike (but because of an unhappy 3 month old, not a dog). Lovely part of the world.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:41 am

Ooooh how beautiful, those photos are awesome Sarah. The summit pose is a fantastic shot... 11 years young I reckon :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:30 pm

Thanks for the comments :-) of our trip this time I think this was my favourite outing. Great views for a hill that is not too high. Thanks for the comments on Penny, she did well and seemed to enjoy her three days away.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby simon-b » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:24 pm

A really nice fell, with great views of surrounding higher hills. You got the right weather for this walk, Sarah.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland