walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ravenglass, Wasdale and Eskdale fells

Ravenglass, Wasdale and Eskdale fells

Postby simon-b » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:05 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Buckbarrow, Great End, Green Crag, Illgill Head, Lingmell, Red Pike (Wasdale), Scafell Pike, Seatallan, Whin Rigg, Yewbarrow

Hewitts included on this walk: Great End, Lingmell, Red Pike (Wasdale), Scafell Pike, Seatallan, Yewbarrow, Yewbarrow North Top

Date walked: 18/04/2014

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Easter Bank Holiday gave me the chance to spend three nights in Ravenglass, and climb some old Lakeland favourites by routes not so familiar to me previously. I also took the opportunity to make some first time visits to a few of Wainwright's Outlying Fells (OLFs). So on a sunny Good Friday morning, I joined the holiday traffic and headed up from Yorkshire to Wasdale.

Friday 18/4/2014: Seatallan and Buckbarrow

seatallan.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Distance: 8 km
Ascent: 660 m
Time: 3.6 h

Greendale Tarn and Middle Fell (with the Scafell range peeping over), from the ascent route to Seatallan:
P4180008.JPG

On Buckbarrow, looking to Whin Rigg:
P4180013.JPG

Saturday 19/4/2014: Red Pike, Yewbarrow, Great End, Scafell Pike, Lingmell

red pike w scafell pike.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Distance: 25.1 km
Ascent: 2170 m
Time: 11.5 h

Yewbarrow from the path alongside Over Beck:
P4190021.JPG

Great Gable and the Scafells from Red Pike:
P4190029.JPG

Approaching Yewbarrow, ready to take on Stirrup Crag:
P4190030.JPG

Moving along Yewbarrow's summit ridge, looking down to Wast Water:
P4190042.JPG

Ready to take on Great End via The Band:
P4190055.JPG

A snow cornice at the top of one of Great End's gullies (the footprints are not mine, I hasten to add):
P4190059.JPG

On Scafell Pike's summit, looking south to the Coniston range and Harter Fell:
P4190064.JPG

Great Gable form the cairn north of Lingmell's summit:
P4190073.JPG

Sunday 20/4/2014: Whin Rigg, Illgill Head and some OLFs
(Wainwright's Outlying Fells included: Irton Pike, Boat How, Muncaster Fell (Hooker Crag))

ravenglass-w screes-eskdale.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Distance: 36 km
Ascent: 1328 m
Time: 11.8 h

Ravenglass:
P4200079.JPG

On Irton Pike, looking towards Wasdale Head:
P4200089.JPG

Looking down the screes to Wast Water, from between Whin Rigg and Illgill Head:
P4200098.JPG

Burnmoor Tarn and Scafell from Boat How:
P4200105.JPG

Approaching Boot, in Eskdale:
P4200112.JPG

On Muncaster Fell, looking towards its highest point, Hooker Crag:
P4200117.JPG

Monday 21/4/2014: Green Crag and some OLFs
(Wainwright's Outlying Fells included: Great Worm Crag, Hesk Fell, The Pike)

birker-green crag-hesk fell.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Distance: 15.2 km
Ascent: 729 m
Time: 5.5 h

Great Crag from Little Crag:
P4210131.JPG

Moving towards Green Crag from Broad Crag:
P4210135.JPG

Approaching White How, en route from Green Crag:
P4210138.JPG

Devoke Water from Great Worm Crag:
P4210149.JPG

The view SE across the Duddon Valley from The Pike:
P4210161.JPG

On Easter Monday afternoon, it was time to drive back from the Birker Fell road to Wakefield, and once more become part of the bank holiday crowds on the M6. The weather had been fine for all four days: just one bit of drizzle between Illgill Head and Boat How, and the wind only really picked up on the final day.

Most conventional routes on the Lakeland Fells involve gaining height and keeping it. Some of my routes on this trip had a lot of descent and re-ascent. This is because it's interesting to climb hills by direct ascent that you've previously only 'hopped' onto via a link with another fell. Also, this amount of ascent helps in maintaining fitness for climbing the higher and more remote mountains in Scotland, which those of us who live in Northern England can't get to as often as the Lake District.

It had been a most enjoyable four days, and another good experience to add to that of the previous Sunday, and the walk on the Helvellyn range with the team organised by Anthony (johnkaysleftleg). Even after climbing every Wainwright at least twice, there's always something new to do in Lakeland.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Re: Ravenglass, Wasdale and Eskdale fells

Postby ilovescotty » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:00 pm

Looks awesome, i'm off to the Lakes on May 10th for 2 days, hope to have the same great weather that you had
ilovescotty
Munro compleatist

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:2

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:22 pm

Really enjoyed reading your report and photos of areas of the Lakes I am not familiar with :)
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:32 pm

Looks like you really lucked out with the weather Simon and more than made the most of it. Some great routes and hats off for attempting to climb fells from the lowest point. Great for fitness as you say with some of them days being way beyond me!
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby colgregg » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:54 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Looks like you really lucked out with the weather Simon and more than made the most of it. Some great routes and hats off for attempting to climb fells from the lowest point. Great for fitness as you say with some of them days being way beyond me!

Agreed. Full kudos for the walks. The pike AFTER red pike and Yewbarrow!! thats some hike. Like JK its probably way beyond me now. Jubilee day was the turning point for me after doing Pillar from Ennerdale Via Grike, lankrigg Caw etc. Coming back along the lake side I said to myself No More of these Epics.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby simon-b » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:22 pm

Hi, scotty, I hope you have an awesome time in the Lakes.

Thanks Sarah, the western valleys are well worth visiting.

Anthony, this would have been beyond me if I'd had a westie with a sore paw to carry.

Col, Joss Naylor was also on Pillar at the jubilee, running the entire Wasdale perimeter at the age of 76 - that cuts us all down to size, I guess.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby ChrisW » Fri May 02, 2014 2:49 am

Thats some great weather for the lakes Simon and you clearly recognised that and got yourself a belly full of it :lol: :lol: Some lovely shots of a beautiful area. :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland