walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gunnerside Gill, Swinner Gill and Beautiful Swaledale

Gunnerside Gill, Swinner Gill and Beautiful Swaledale

Postby Border Reiver » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:22 pm

Date walked: 12/06/2014

Distance: 15.6 km

Ascent: 680m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We Parked at Gunnerside, where there’s spaces for a dozen or so vehicles on the right of the lane on the West side of the bridge. Public toilets are down a lane that runs down in front of the Kings Head inn.

The start of the walk is a narrow lane that leaves the main road on the East side of the bridge in the village. This soon narrows to a path that follows the valley, sometimes close to the Gunnerside Beck and sometimes high up on the hillside. Much of the early part is through woodland and the path is occasionally very narrow, with a steep hillside on the left.
Just past the main mine workings there’s a crossroads of a number of paths & this is where you join the Coast to Coast way. We took the path that slants downhill towards the beck, which we crossed over a stone slab bridge near some old buildings.
Over the bridge we crossed the small stream on our left and headed on a gently rising track, as though to go back down the valley. Shortly, there’s a narrow path that climbs back right, as though heading for Blind Gill, but it zig-zags its way up the hill and meets up with a gravel road at the top of North Hush. The gravel road continues over the moor and descends towards the top of East Grain, at which point you cross East Grain and continue down the right bank all the way to Swinner Gill. We took the higher of the two paths (C to C) leading down the gill, staying on the Coast to Coast until just past the ruins of Crackpot Hall, where we turned left, downhill to follow the path down Swaledale, all the way back to Gunnerside.

Here's a link to some of the photos of our walk.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/76212734@N08/sets/72157645156821331/
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Re: Gunnerside Gill, Swinner Gill and Beautiful Swaledale

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:47 am

A heavenly place, and great set of pics that capture its character beautifully.

I walked this, or parts of it, many times in my (distant) youth when we lived over the hill in Wensleydale.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Border Reiver » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:13 pm

Alteknacker wrote:A heavenly place, and great set of pics that capture its character beautifully.

I walked this, or parts of it, many times in my (distant) youth when we lived over the hill in Wensleydale.

A lovely part of Britain that I've only started walking in during the last 3 years ) what a waste of 40 odd years. We often walk in Wensleydale too, using Hawes or Aysgarth as a start / end point.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Postby colgregg » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:01 pm

Practically my back yard and favourite area of the northern dales. Swinner gill is a bit special.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Border Reiver » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:27 pm

colgregg wrote:Practically my back yard and favourite area of the northern dales. Swinner gill is a bit special.

We were probably in your back yard on Tues this week. We walked from Reeth to Richmond, finishing by going up Deepdale and along the top of Whitecliffe Scar. A decent walk, but it's a shame that the seat dedicated to Wainwright's viewpoint of Richmond, only has a view of a hedge. Great view from the edge of the scar, but the path up there is in waist deep grass, obviously little used.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Postby colgregg » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:50 pm

Border Reiver wrote:
colgregg wrote:Practically my back yard and favourite area of the northern dales. Swinner gill is a bit special.

We were probably in your back yard on Tues this week. We walked from Reeth to Richmond, finishing by going up Deepdale and along the top of Whitecliffe Scar. A decent walk, but it's a shame that the seat dedicated to Wainwright's viewpoint of Richmond, only has a view of a hedge. Great view from the edge of the scar, but the path up there is in waist deep grass, obviously little used.

Whicliffe scar and Willences Leap (where the monument is) is one of the more popular walks in the Richmond area.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland