walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Craig Cerrig Gleisiad. Fan Frynych.

Craig Cerrig Gleisiad. Fan Frynych.

Postby willywalker247 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:33 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Craig Cerrig-gleisiad, Fan Frynych

Date walked: 09/07/2014

Time taken: 3.4

Distance: 9.2 km

Ascent: 465m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parked the van opposite the Storey Arms grid ref sn982203
Fan Fawr 2012 001.JPG
Starting point.
It`s a steady climb as you head up towards Graig Cerrig Gleisiad passing below Fan Fawr as you go.
Graig Cerrig Gleisiad, Fan Frynych July 2014 001.JPG
Looking up at Fan Fawr.
As you continue to climb the views begin to open up with Corn Ddu and Pen y Fan to the East and the Carmarthen Fan`s to the west.
Graig Cerrig Gleisiad, Fan Frynych July 2014 006.JPG
Corn Ddu, Pen y Fan
Craig Cerrig glaisiad, Fan frynych 004.JPG
Carmarthen Fan`s to the West.
On reaching the high point above Graig Cerrig Gleisiad it is marked with a small pile of stones.
Graig Cerrig Gleisiad, Fan Frynych July 2014 002.JPG
From here you can see the trig point of Fan Frynych, it is now only a short walk to it.
Graig Cerrig Gleisiad, Fan Frynych July 2014 003.JPG
Track leading to Fan Frynych
Craig Cerrig glaisiad, Fan frynych 003.JPG
I sat here for a while thinking which way I would make my way back to the Storey Arms. I opted to take a more direct route down to the A470. Follow the path back to the track, on reaching the track you will see a stile climb over it and follow the path to the left and down as you follow this path you will see a cairn .
Graig Cerrig Gleisiad, Fan Frynych July 2014 007.JPG
Cairn.
From here you will have a fantastic view of Graig Cerrig Gleisiad. Continue to follow the path steeply down and it will take you to the A470. Cross the road and cross over another stile. There is no clear path to follow, but just drop down to the stream and you ill see a footbridge cross over it and a path will take up to a track. On reaching the track turn right and follow it back to the Storey Arms.
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland