walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An unexpected trip to visit Terrenhendre and Friends

An unexpected trip to visit Terrenhendre and Friends

Postby L-Hiking » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Date walked: 06/07/2014

Time taken: 6

Distance: 20 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

On holiday in Mid Wales staying in Pennal, which is a quite beautiful village situated by the River Dovey. I of course had plans to walk a few Welsh hills whilst over here and after settling in in our accomadation I could not take my eyes of the view in the distance of an inviting range of hills which stretched over the horizon not to very far away. These would make a nice introductory walk I hoped.
I have to be honest and did not have a clue of the names of any of them only that they lied midway between our cottage and Cadair Idris which of course was on my to do list. I identified these tops starting from the West as Trum Gelli, Tarren Cwm-ffernol, Tarren Rhosfarch and Tarrenhendre.
IMAG0324.jpg
The view from our cottage

There are not many times when you can set off from your accomadation with your boots on, however with a little modification we were able to do this and set off for our first objective. Initially along the Wales Coastal path and then followed a way-marked path which climbs steadily into the hills. This pathway which leads to an isolated farm house called Pant-yr-on, does not have many boots trodding its way as we had to make our way under and over many fallen trees and bracken which was almost head height. It was a relief to get out of there I can tell you.
Turning up hill by the house and more steady climbing is required until reaching the path summit at Bryn Dinas, it is there that we followed in a NW direction following a very faint footpath to eventually top Trum Gelli. The cairns at the top are magnificent structures and must have taken an age to construct. From here Tarrenhendre looked some way off in the distance, so a quick stop for a coffee and sandwich and we were off again. It was at this point that I noticed my camaera had gone on the blink again I think the damage I caused by dropping it at High Crag in the Lakes last year had resurfaced, despite having it looked at by experts. Never mind I did have my mobile and therefore took some photos with that, the quality is not great but tells the story.

IMAG0270.jpg
Heading for Trum Gelli after leaving the bridal path at its summit
IMAG0271.jpg
The River Dovey winding its way to the Irish sea in the distance.
IMAG0272.jpg
These cairns are impressive
IMAG0273.jpg
Carol standing against one to gain a better perception of their size.
IMAG0274.jpg
IMAG0275.jpg
IMAG0280.jpg
Looking towards Tarrenhendre in the distance
IMAG0276.jpg
Cadair idris looms
IMAG0281.jpg
IMAG0284.jpg
Pennal
IMAG0285.jpg
Carol having a chat with the locals on the last stretch
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Re: An unexpected trip to visit Terrenhendre and Friends

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:51 am

Great to see you getting some good weather in Wales Geoff, those cairns are a sight to behold!
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby L-Hiking » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:01 pm

Cheers pal

We had a great week and still have to submit some more reports yet
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:32 pm

Looks as though you and Carol were lucky with the holiday weather again, Geoff :D

Glad you had your phone to take those lovely views :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland